+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new turntable on its way!

I'm jamie.

Default new turntable on its way!

Well after enjoying the LP12 for a while i thought id try a direct drive so, now i can find out what the lp12 haters tell me im missing!
    I put out a wanted ad for a pioneer pl tt as ive always loved the look of these.
    I spotted over on ebay.de a lovely and rare it would seem plc-1700,hmmm i thought and did a quick google check,here's some info http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PLC-1700.html

Putting awful thoughts of it arriving smashed to bits i made a offer which the seller accepted so its on its way here.
    I just hope ive made a good decision and its better than the linn or im gonna scream!!

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Very nice and classy looking deck Jamie. Looking at Vintage Knob it would appear to be a nicely put together piece of kit.
    I love the look of Japanese vintage gear.
    My guess is that your new toy wont sound any less than your LP12 but most likely different. As you'll know, the LP12 is also known as the old fruit box and that's because it's said to have a flavoured sound.
    Your previous Nag flagship the MP500 is a quality cart and from what I've read has a more coloured / flavoured sound too.
    I'm assuming you liked the LP12 / MP500 sound / combo?
    As I said, your lovely pioneer will be different but I cant say how different. That will pretty much depend on what cart you'll be looking to run it with.
    Either way, have fun. I'm looking forward to hearing what cart(s) your thinking of using.
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 15-07-2016 at 19:55.

I'm jamie.

hi,
    thanks,yes i very much like the sound of the lp12 but then again ive not heard anything else,iam currently using am ortofon mc-25 fl and really like it.another reason i thought id try a direct drive is i could see myself going down the upgrade path with the lp12,cirkus bearing and power supply and thats big money so i decided to change direction.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    hi,
    thanks,yes i very much like the sound of the lp12 but then again ive not heard anything else,iam currently using am ortofon mc-25 fl and really like it.another reason i thought id try a direct drive is i could see myself going down the upgrade path with the lp12,cirkus bearing and power supply and thats big money so i decided to change direction.
    I'm glad your trying an Ortofon with your Pioneer. The Ortofons have a different flavour to the Nags so it will be interesting to hear what you think once you've had some time with the Pioneer and Ortofon combined.
    I love the Ortofons i've had and prefer a less flavoured sound, more neutral, detailed and accurate presentation which is what the Ortofons I've really enjoyed do.

I'm jamie.

the mp-500 had a tendency to sound a little bright,great detail though where as the ortofon is more warmer and makes you want to keep playing records.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

The tonearm mystery is solved , it's a Sony psu 114 all be it mine has a different anti skate mechanism
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Ben.

Nice looking deck that, arm looks very cool too.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm James.

Nice looking vintage deck Jamie, is the arm a unipivot or gimbal bearing?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm jamie.

ive not got a clue! not much info on these arms.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm alan.

Hi Jamie, Hope you enjoy your new deck - I expect quite a few of us would like to know how it compares to the Linn. Personally I would expect the Linn to have a slightly airier sound but without any huge differences and you may well end up wondering why there are so many Linn haters out there and what it is they actually hate. I've got three different decks (one is a Linn) which don't sound exactly the same but they are so similar that I enjoy listening to them all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast