+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Equipment You Wish You'd Kept!

I'm Justin.

Pretty much nothing in all honesty. If it is good it stays, until something genuinely better comes along. Anything new has to beat what is there already. If it doesn't it generally goes within a few months or maybe longer.

I'm Nial.

Stacked quads...Decca arm and a headshell mounted Decca, Decca tuner, pre and some monblock valve amps poss Decca too - too long ago to remember!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    Stacked Quads...Decca arm and a headshell mounted Decca, Decca tuner, pre and some monblock valve amps poss Decca too - too long ago to remember!
    Why did you get rid of them? Were they too big for you room? (That's the problem I have.)

Didn't know Decca made a tuner. That must be pretty rare, as are the pre and power amps.
    Barry

danilo Guest

As above.. absolutely Nothing I've previously owned and gotten rid of would I ever want back... even for free.
    It was disposed of for genuine, well considered reasons.
    Gear gets replaced by higher performance bits.. why go backwards ?

I'm Martin.

I've gone backwards many times. Often because something failed and the replacement was not as good. Sometimes through stupidity. I doubt I'm alone in that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

danilo Guest

erm OK.
    Trick is/was (at least for Me) was to buy ONLY best of breed available (even if not quite affordable) at that point in time.
    Buy cheap... buy twice
    OR if dim... repeatedly

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    erm OK.
    Trick is/was (at least for Me) was to buy ONLY best of breed available (even if not quite affordable) at that point in time.
    Buy cheap... buy twice
    OR if dim... repeatedly
    Sometimes buying only the best of breed etc , doesn't work. Expensive does not mean better, cheap does not mean worse.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    erm OK.
    Buy cheap... buy twice
    OR if dim... repeatedly
    You have to know what is best to do that - and that is not always easy. Especially if you have to sell one thing to be able to afford to try another, which makes it harder to go back if you don't like it. I made a lot more progress once I could try new stuff without having to sell the old. Okay you accumulate a lot of kit, but you can then try all the options at leisure and distill it down to the optimum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm richard.

Yeah, there's one item I still wish I still had: Pioneer SA-706 amplifier, first made in circa 1976. Kept it for 17 years and loved it paired with Wharfedale E20 speakers, which are still in my attic.

I've always had this thing for dancing VU wattage meters, and it's a pity there isn't more affordable modern amps with these meters. I know the new Yamaha 2100 looks the part, but somehow the Pioneer had that 'X' factor. It was a real pride of ownership amp.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm richard.

Also, in the loft, I have a Marantz tuner 2060ML. Like the Wharfedale E20s it works faultlessly.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast