+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Equipment You Wish You'd Kept!

I'm Geoff.

Default Equipment You Wish You'd Kept!

As most of my old favourites are vintage, I'm starting this thread here, but I guess the Blank Canvas area would be just as fitting.

Anyway, there are items of gear I wish I still owned (if I had room )

A few:

Leak Stereo 20, consistently fine sounding power amp. Rappaport Pre 2, a great pre-amp. Ortofon SPU and Decca 4RC carts, what can you say, lovely sounds. Tannoy Eatons, very sweet smaller classic duals. Harman Kardon 730 receiver, it did everything well and looked pretty. Goldring G99 turntable, up there with the best.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

A couple of things i would on reflection have kept had i known better, or had been wealthier. My beloved Musical Fidelity A1000 would be the main one. 50 watts class A...fab build quality too. MF have never built anything like it b4 or after....nor will they, as it would cost too much and probably breach the energy convention
    Maybe also the yaqin amp i had, although that could be replaced easier... It was very good and a bargain for the money.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Quad 303, can't remember why or who I sold it to

I'm fuckoff.

Nothing, currently. This may change as time goes by...

I'm Simon.

Back in the late 80's I bought an old Technics amp from a colleague at Laskys.

Unusually I can't remember the model, but it was big & black with brushed chrome controls and a damped glass drop down panel hiding the secondary controls. I really did like that one.

I'm Dan.

Celestion 66

Was selling a few items when a local dealer started out in 2008....my 66's were in the same room and he made and offer of £200 and i said yes russ still uses them as far as i know....
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Adam.

An ADC Accutrac 4000 turntable - twice. I sold it and regretted it, so bought another one. Then I was made an offer I couldn't refuse on that one so sold it as well. I now have another one and wont be making the same mistake a third time!

I also wish I hadn't sold my GLL Imagio IC258TL loudspeakers or my Vestax PVT-E2 turntable.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Neil.

Anything I had that I sold on I am mostly happy enough that I did - T&A V10 mk1 veiled and lacking resolution, wonderful looking but that's it. Pathos Logos - coloured and very heavy plod in the bass. EAR 864 - nice pre, but compared to what I have not transparent enough with an ok phonostage. Quad 2's coloured junk Never could work out what all the fuss was/is about... each to their own I guess. Quad pre (same period as Quad 2s) - total junk. Audio Innovations Series 300 - nice but the Series 500 was better. Couple of Marantz CD players, nice but I was upgrading and each step at the time was better. Philips CD player - unreliable junk. Audio Technica CD player - complete and utter crap. Ariston Q Deck, nice but what I went to was better. Ruark Equinox - lovely speakers but didn't have the room to keep them. Rega RB300 arm, don't miss. Goldring Eroica - don't know why folks are interesting in these an ok cart, don't miss it.

What I miss, should not have sold: Voyd Valdi - total Muppet for selling that on. Audio Innovations Series 1000 mk3 Eminent Technology ET2 tonearm, what a total dick I was for selling it and trusting the person I did sell it to to sell it back when or if he wanted to move it on. That was the clause for me selling it to him. Garth you are a total weasel

Actually surprised how much I have sold on.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 13-07-2016 at 12:50.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

All the "equipment I wish I'd kept" - I did. Thus my house is full of audio gear; much to the bewilderment of my girlfriend.

Of the few items I have sold on, only the Revox G36 reel-to-reel machine (bought for £25) and a pair of homebuilt Mullard 5-10 amplifiers, are remembered with nostalgia and affection.

Yes I've had a couple of sets of Quad 22/2xII amplifiers. Dated yes, but no way could you describe them as "junk". The Quad 22 preamp can readily be dispensed with. I ran the Quad IIs using a Hafler DH-101 preamp into Quad ESLs. Maybe not as good a Leak Stereo 20, and certainly not as good as any Radford valve amp, but the Quads do have a gorgeous liquid midrange.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Pathos Logos - coloured and very heavy plod in the bass. EAR 864 - nice pre, but compared to what I have not transparent enough with an ok phonostage. Quad 2's coloured junk Never could work out what all the fuss was/is about... each to their own I guess. Quad pre (same period as Quad 2s) - total junk. Audio Innovations Series 300 - nice but the Series 500 was better. Couple of Marantz CD players, nice but I was upgrading and each step at the time was better. Philips CD player - unreliable junk. Audio Technica CD player - complete and utter crap.
    Don't hold back there Neil, tell us what you really think

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast