Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy IIILZ

I'm Grant.

He has various colours but this is the most popular...beige

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1521324391...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

The acrylic adhesive is way stronger than PVA. It's not particularly cheap, but it is excellent stuff. A repair is likely to be stronger than the surrounding cloth.

I've used it for all sorts of things. It bonds metal to metal well.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The acrylic adhesive is way stronger than PVA. It's not particularly cheap, but it is excellent stuff. A repair is likely to be stronger than the surrounding cloth.

I've used it for all sorts of things. It bonds metal to metal well.
    Thank you, that sounds good. A bit like the Polish inventor that invented the strongest glue in the world, couldn't get the top off the bottle. I am allowed to say Polish because I'm half Polish. Dad came over here before WW2.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    He has various colours but this is the most popular...beige

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1521324391...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Thank you, two colours look sort of suitable, Peter would have to recover both fronts of course.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

There are interesting grille cloths on US eBay sites. Worth a look if the original can't be sorted.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Thank you, I will pass that on to Peter.
    Spendorman

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The IIILZ's will need cabinet work too to sound any good, but that's another story - check for buzzy back panels.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

danilo Guest

Gonna take a wee bit more than new boxes to Patch the 10's.
    They cleverly fitted a 2.5" LF cone voice coil to the standard tannoy 2" diameter Wave guide.
    The resultant gap mismatch is right in the middle of the Prime Voice frequencies.
    10's were Tannoys' stepchild product
    Takes some skilled/careful machine work to turn a suitable ali transition piece... then fit it.

I'm Alex.

Why did they use a larger diameter voice coil than the other units?
    Spendorman

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Why did they use a larger diameter voice coil than the other units?
    The III-LZ was designed as a near field monitor, not a full range hifi speaker for far field listening. Tannoy wanted to preserve as much of the detail to about 1.5KHz as possible (ie within the middle of speech frequencies) so chose to run with a 2.5 inch voice coil for the LF for greater control and smoothness up to this point. They retained the 2 inch horn. The response problems didn't really happen until around 6KHz up to which point the III-LZ remains a remarkably smooth and linear performer, so it ticked all the right boxes for a near-field monitor and still does.

However, when applied to hifi use there is an issue above 6kHz where a phase inversion is present. This is caused by the gap between the end of the horn and the end of the voicecoil (ie opening of the main cone) where a short section of tube is parallel sided. It is this section of parallel tube which causes phase inversion of the HF unit. By then, the main LF does very little, and since both horns suffer the same phase inversion, the listener hears absolute phase inversion and not relative phase inversion, so for all practical purposes, it is rarely an issue except for measurement, and this is what may forget when describing them.

However, the issue can be resolved completely by smoothing he horn using something like a flexible car body filler (great care and skill needed!) so that its mouth exits at the end of the voicecoil tube.

For what it was designed for, the III-LZ remains fit for purpose although the cabs, as with most Tannoys, do benefit from some stiffening and improvements to internal damping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast