+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy IIILZ

I'm Alex.

Default Tannoy IIILZ

My friend has a nice pair of these, unfortunately, one front grille cloth has a tear about 1 1/2" long.

Is it easy to replace the material on these, how is this done?

Where can one get some suitable vintage looking cloth?

Thanks
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Dont know the speaker but its usually reasonably simple to replace cloth. Depends what you want material wise but the are available on ebay as well as other places. I usually use carpet glue to hold it to the frames.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Thank you Grant, but I should have mentioned that there are no removable false fronts on these speakers. Geoff will probably know about them.

My vintage corner Chatsworth enclosures are built like this, I think. Fortunately the cloth on these is still fine.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

looks like the fronts come off via screws front the inside. ie take back off, and remove fill. not as terrorising as it sounds. take driver out of course first.. That kind of material can be got from MainlyTannoy on ebay. will find a pic of one of my full rangers that have similar set up
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    looks like the fronts come off via screws front the inside. ie take back off, and remove fill. not as terrorising as it sounds. take driver out of course first.. That kind of material can be got from MainlyTannoy on ebay. will find a pic of one of my full rangers that have similar set up
    Thanks Grant.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

The cloth is stapled and glued to the front baffle which is secured to battens by screws accessible from inside. There is no exact match available in cloth to these, however Paul (RFC trade) may be able to help with something of suitable appearance.

If the baffles are removed and the grille cloth carefully taken off, it may be possible to make an almost invisible repair to the tear, which would be nice for originality. I'd suggest laying the cloth on a flat board front side up, aligning the torn edges and getting them against each other, then taping firmly in place with masking tape. Then turn the cloth over and dab acrylic adhesive onto the torn edges and across the tear with a cocktail stick. Allow a few hours to harden well then remove the masking tape very carefully. The cloth should hopefully be reuseable.

I use this for repair work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1405131375...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT It's incredibly strong, but you have to work fast. It will become unworkable in about a minute. Sometimes it's best to use batches.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

There is that iron on glue dust that you mix with bits of frayed material from edges. it can make a convincing repair too
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Thank you Grant
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The cloth is stapled and glued to the front baffle which is secured to battens by screws accessible from inside. There is no exact match available in cloth to these, however Paul (RFC trade) may be able to help with something of suitable appearance.

If the baffles are removed and the grille cloth carefully taken off, it may be possible to make an almost invisible repair to the tear, which would be nice for originality. I'd suggest laying the cloth on a flat board front side up, aligning the torn edges and getting them against each other, then taping firmly in place with masking tape. Then turn the cloth over and dab acrylic adhesive onto the torn edges and across the tear with a cocktail stick. Allow a few hours to harden well then remove the masking tape very carefully. The cloth should hopefully be reuseable.

I use this for repair work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1405131375...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT It's incredibly strong, but you have to work fast. It will become unworkable in about a minute. Sometimes it's best to use batches.
    Thank you Geoff, that is a very good guide. The speakers in question belong to my friend Peter Anderson, and he says thank you too. Peter is a member of the forum but has not been posting lately as he has forgotten his password and can't seem to log in. Peter own the very rare Radford STA20 Mk III.

That suggested repair to cloth I pretty well did to a BC1, with the exception of the glue, I just used ordinary PVA wood glue.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast