+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac OS X Ripping Options

I'm Lee.

I believe.

Much like buy cheap, buy twice.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Probably discussion for another thread, but since I got my AE, I've ripped in AAC 320kbps VBR constrained with XLD, and Apple Lossless, and I can't tell a difference yet. The ALAC file is 8 times bigger, not that I'm looking to save space, I'm just saying.
    Imho, it clearly depends on the mastering quality. I agree that it's hard, and it's still harder with AAC400VBR, especially when listening through headphones.
    Nevertheless, for some albums, the difference is noticeable.
    In any case, HD terrabyte value is melting like ice-cream in summer sun... no point in bothering about file size, really.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Lee.

What differences would an external DAC make to this? Would that highlight the differences more?
    Lee

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Last.fm

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    What differences would an external DAC make to this? Would that highlight the differences more?
    Compared with your Airport Express ? Well, it depends. Being conservative, the differences are not so big, but they will be noticeable with your favorite albums, I bet. Still you'll need a recent/good dac (like the Caiman).
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Lee.

I'm now using XLD to rip my CDs to iTunes in ALAC. Does anyone know how I can replace tracks I've previously ripped at a lower bitrate, therefore retaining any tags I may have modified?
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Tags are embedded into the track files themselves. The best way to transfer them is to use one of Doug's Applescripts, here.
    Simon.

I'm Lee.

Oh right. How come iTunes can replace tracks?

Hang on, I may need to check this....
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm seldomaroundnow.

A similar discussion has played out here.
    Simon.

I'm Lee.

Hmmm, I just ripped a track @ 256 with itunes, modified some tags and added artwork. I then re-ripped at ALAC and chose 'replace'. It replaced the track but kept the tags and artwork.

I then ripped with XLD with 'overwrite existing files' and 'add to itunes' selected. This added the track alongside my iTunes ripped one. The overwrite option doesn't seem to work.
    Lee

Last.fm

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi,

Are these the options you're talking about? I don't think they're linked. The "Overwrite" refers to when XLD rips to its own destination folder. The "Add…" simply passes the file to iTunes, I think, which deals with it according to its own settings---that's why you end up with a duplicate instead of a replacement.

Hmmm, I just ripped a track @ 256 with itunes, modified some tags and added artwork. I then re-ripped at ALAC and chose 'replace'. It replaced the track but kept the tags and artwork.
    Out of curiosity, how did you add the artwork---by dragging-and-dropping onto the Album Artwork Viewer or by the Get Album Artwork option in the Advanced menu? The latter adds the artwork to a folder (Music > iTunes > Album Artwork), and iTunes links to it when necessary; the former appends the artwork to the file itself.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast