+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power amps

I'm Alex.

Getting very good sound using this into BBC Rogers LS3/6:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-3-to-18...-/272159153887

I wonder if there is any cheaper, new, good quality amplifier. Power supply is an from an old laptop, 16V.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Thought my amps were cheap lol... Cant buy a pint for that!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

And that includes the postage! Even the volume control seems fine, good tracking balance between the two channels.

I have increased the heatsink by adding on an old one from a computer processor.
    Spendorman

I'm Peter.

Used to work at the BBC. They used these as monitors in the radio recording channels. If I remember correctly the amps were Quad 50Es. Just a little rough sounding, but you really do need that, or more power, to leave a bit of headroom. The Quad 405 was used later to drive LS5/8s, but here it was with an active crossover arrangement, one channel for tweeter, the other for bass/midrange. Now they did sound very good! A refurbished Quad might suit, or perhaps you can find a class A amp, they sound very smooth, but with all detail present.
    Last edited by PeteC; 12-07-2016 at 16:20. Reason: typo
    Marantz SA8005 SACD Player and DAC , Krell KAV 300iL, IPL S4TL speakers, Tesco granite plinths, BK Electronics XXL400 Subwoofer, DSpeaker 8033 Antimode, Plasma HDTV, HDD recorder and Blu-ray player, all Panasonic

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Used to work at the BBC. They used these as monitors in the radio recording channels. If I remember correctly the amps were Quad 50Es. Just a little rough sounding, but you really do need that, or more power, to leave a bit of headroom. The Quad 405 was used later to drive LS5/8s, but here it was an active crossover, one channel for tweeter, the other for bass/midrange. Now they did sound good! A refurbished Quad might suit, or perhaps you can find a class A amp, the y sound very smooth, but with all detail present.
    I have plenty of amps with more power, including some that you list, 405-2, also have Quad II's several 303's, Radford STA25 III, A&R Cambridge A60, Technics amps, Pioneer amps, Rogers amps, etc. etc. But, These speakers are used on my computer and run all day and evening, mainly at lowish volume, so something cheap to run is what I'm using.

I think that the 405-2 uses a fair bit of power just idling, could be over 30W, can't remember exactly. I do remember that Quad II use 90W each idling.

I know I'm mad, but I enjoy it.
    Spendorman

I'm Peter.

Never occurred to me to save power! Just want the best sound. My current amp uses 20W in standby, saves waiting ages for it to warm up properly.
    Marantz SA8005 SACD Player and DAC , Krell KAV 300iL, IPL S4TL speakers, Tesco granite plinths, BK Electronics XXL400 Subwoofer, DSpeaker 8033 Antimode, Plasma HDTV, HDD recorder and Blu-ray player, all Panasonic

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Mine each use 400W idling, yet only produce 25W of acoustic power. Oh, the joys of pure class A amplification!
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Mine each use 400W idling, yet only produce 25W of acoustic power. Oh, the joys of pure class A amplification!
    No problem in winter, power is not wasted, just heating room.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Or in 'summer' if you live in the UK anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Or in 'summer' if you live in the UK anyway.
    In the summer, I switch over to my "summer amps": Quad 510 monoblocks.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast