+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power amps

I'm Jim.

Default Power amps

I'm using a Caiman as DAC and PRE, what power amps are you using please ?, I have a pair of Tannoy Cheviots and was previously using a pro mosfet 100w studio amp which sounded great.

Unfortunately it was quite old and is now malfunctioning, I bought a Behringer A500, which is powerful (very), but the old mosfet was better, a more flat sound from the A500 and less bass, I would be grateful for your experiences and findings.
    Jim.

I'm Geoff.

Currently driving my Cheviot II speakers with a Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro power amp. It sounds amazingly good.

If you want a cheap but very effective option. Try a second hand Denon PMA-350SE. It drives Tannoys extremely well, has plenty of grip and punch and sounds pretty refined, with excellent clarity. I've used one in my system several times.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

I'm currently (Geddit) using a Samson Servo 600 studio pro power amp with straight connections and no preamp. Absolutely lovin the slam and grunt from this amp into KEF Q500's.

I'm Jim.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming, the A500 has power in spades, but not as musical to me as other amps tried, I used an Amptastic Mini-1 as the power amp for a while and it is remarkably good but only about 15-20w max, I have a couple of Avondaled 250's in storage but there was a gain problem with the 250's and the Caiman.
    The amp I was using before it gave up the ghost was a Stellar Fet-1, a lovely musical sounding amp with plenty of power.
    Jim.

I'm Martin.

Have you considered getting the mosfet amp fixed? Jez Arkless could probably sort it for you, maybe even upgrade it as well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Have you considered getting the mosfet amp fixed? Jez Arkless could probably sort it for you, maybe even upgrade it as well.
    I actually have two of them and both are goosed, a mate who is an ex TV repair guy tried to fix one by installing new transistors but that failed to repair the problem, someone to have a look at them would be great and I do intend to, I thought about finding someone local as they're a bit heavy for posting but if that's the only way I will.
    Jim.

I'm Gary.

Used the Amptastic Mini-1 myself as a poweramp for a while, really responds well to a good linear power supply, think I had it set around 13V.
    Great wee amp but as you say, 20 watts or so so not a powerhouse.

My speakers though are 94db efficient, so had plenty of volume with it and only fell apart when you were really driving it. In its performance envelope and in a smaller room can do great things.

Nowadays I've gone the valve route, a 300B SET power amp into an active Pre, which weirdly despite being 8 watts per channel sounds WAY louder, dynamic and ballsy than the Amptastic. Not entirely unexpected though.

For me, now, valves are the only way but can be a dark rocky road to travel.

Had the A500 in for a while too, bit of a brute and sounded "ok" but not the last word in refinement.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Had the A500 in for a while too, bit of a brute and sounded "ok" but not the last word in refinement.
    Yep, definitely not the last word in refinement but then I used to do valves and left them behind for something more exciting and raw. As usual, each to their own.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
    I actually have two of them and both are goosed, a mate who is an ex TV repair guy tried to fix one by installing new transistors but that failed to repair the problem, someone to have a look at them would be great and I do intend to, I thought about finding someone local as they're a bit heavy for posting but if that's the only way I will.
    I can probably fix them yes
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Peter.

Keep a look out on eBay, you might get lucky. I got a Krell KAV300iL a couple of years ago for £1000. Built like a tank. It's absolutely clean and clear, no audible noise and very revealing. Although powerful it it very clear and able to reproduce delicate sounds at low level. The apparent sound quality remains the same regardless of level. Other makes of high quality amps also come up from time to time. Just a question of being patient enough to keep on looking! Also it maybe worth looking at http://2ndhandhifi.co.uk/
    Marantz SA8005 SACD Player and DAC , Krell KAV 300iL, IPL S4TL speakers, Tesco granite plinths, BK Electronics XXL400 Subwoofer, DSpeaker 8033 Antimode, Plasma HDTV, HDD recorder and Blu-ray player, all Panasonic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast