+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A journey to the origins of my family

I'm Werner.

Default A journey to the origins of my family

Part 1: A few impressions from a three weeks/672 miles journey via bicycle to the origins of my family near the borders between Austria and the Czech Republic (my mother’s family) and Hungary (my father’s family):

Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Werner.

Part 2: A few impressions from a three weeks/672 miles journey via bicycle to the origins of my family near the borders between Austria and the Czech Republic (my mother’s family) and Hungary (my father’s family):

Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Werner.

Part 3: A few impressions from a three weeks/672 miles journey via bicycle to the origins of my family near the borders between Austria and the Czech Republic (my mother’s family) and Hungary (my father’s family):

I'm Werner.

Part 4: A few impressions from a three weeks/672 miles journey via bicycle to the origins of my family near the borders between Austria and the Czech Republic (my mother’s family) and Hungary (my father’s family):

I'm Werner.

Last part: A few impressions from a three weeks/672 miles journey via bicycle to the origins of my family near the borders between Austria and the Czech Republic (my mother’s family) and Hungary (my father’s family):

My mother died at the age of 70 back in 1998, my father in 2014. He was nearly 82 years old.

The whole album titled “Unterwegs/On the road” (currently 324 photos) is available here, unfortunately in reverse chronological order when viewed with a desktop browser:
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0g532ODWJEZCh6

One important thing for me is that I was able to control the pace of the journey. Most of my (visual) memories of the landscapes and neighborhoods originated from 50 years ago, from a child’s perspective on the back seat of my parent’s car. I don’t own a driver’s license, I don’t like cars. In my opinion nothing compares to walking or using a bicycle when attempting to get in touch with a landscape or a urban area, to experience and develop an awareness of the distance.

The image descriptions are available in German only. Sorry for the image quality; the pictures were taken with an ancient Apple iPhone 4. Thank you for watching and your patience ;-)
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 08-06-2016 at 06:58.

I'm Brian.

Beautiful images Werner . It must be fantastic to revisit all your childhood memories . Fortunately for me I've lived in the area where I was born and brought up most of my life and only have to travel a couple of miles to relive those memories. I lived away for a few years in Bristol but missed the place so much I returned to live where I am now .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Werner.

Brian,
    Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    It must be fantastic to revisit all your childhood memories.
    yes, it was a fantastic journey, although sometimes painful for body and soul, but that was what I was looking for. Being an elderly guy, nearly 60 years old and with a reduced lung volume due to COPD, feeling the heavy pannier bags on my bicycle’s rear wheel somewhere on an uphill road, I became aware that this was actually a private and personal pilgrimage back to my own roots and to my own core. I don’t believe in religion, churches and gods, but this journey was rich and deep in achieving knowledge and experience.

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 08-06-2016 at 08:14.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for sharing Werner, and you should be very proud of the images!
    They are both pleasant to look at and also makes me want to travel to these parts!

I'm Werner.

Mike,
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    They are both pleasant to look at and also makes me want to travel to these parts!
    thank you for your kind words. If there’s a way for you to visit these parts of Austria, I wholeheartedly encourage you to start your journey. In return to your plans I’m thinking about a bicycle trip to Sweden and Norway.

Werner.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Werner,

First of all, nice to see you back and that you're keeping well. Your contributions to the forum have always been fantastic, whether when discussing hi-fi, music, computers or aspects of your life. It's that last bit (giving something of your genuine self), however, which not only is always great to see, but shows that you're human, and most importantly turns 'faceless bulletin boards' into thriving communities of real people

Too many folks on Internet forums like to 'hide', be anonymous entities, and show nothing of their true selves, which is a mentality I simply can't relate to.

Anyway, just to get this right, are you saying you cycled all that distance? If so, that's pretty impressive! How many kilometres would you say you cycled in total, there and back? Aside from your lovely images, I can't believe how similar the landscape and the whole 'vibe' is compared with that of my own family, and where they come from, in Italy.

I also love the big, wide-open spaces and empty roads, devoid of traffic congestion... You can 'breathe' and genuinely feel that you're alive there, unlike in some parts of the UK!

The picture of the old lady (was that your mum?) looks just like I remember some of my older relatives in Italy, not to mention those of my wife's in Germany (her family come from Cologne and Bergisch Gladbach), and also from Croatia and Hungary, as I can testify from the truly superb Goulash I've tasted, cooked by one of her cousins!

But yes, the similarities in that respect, and the culture (also noting the Catholic religious ornaments), is so very similar

I was wondering where this was, as it looks right up my street:

Which country is this and what's the name of the town?

Marco.

P.S Thanks again for sharing these lovely images with us.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast