+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100V step-down transformer a for Japanese TT

I'm Kai.

Default 100V step-down transformer a for Japanese TT

I got a Japanese model Denon DP-3000 and need a (cheap) step-down transformer for it. Condition of the TT is a bit unknown, thought it's supposed to be ok and everything seems in order. There's plenty of options on eBay etc. but most of them are from far-eastern sellers and leave it unclear whether the solution is transformer based or has some kind of converter circuit. Ideally I want an actual 230V -> 100V transformer, not somekind of converter thingie which might induce some impurities into the voltage. That said nothing against converters per se, given they have a smooth output free of spikes or other signal deformation. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with cheap (definitely under 50 EUR) step down transformers with japanese TTs they could recommend?

The other option is I could get a 110V transformer locally, intended for use with US appliances, I suppose the 10V over voltage would be neglible and I could bring down the rest of the way using a resistor in series.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm scott.

some japanese stuff is 100v 60hz & not dual frequency 50/60hz
    uk works on 230v 50hz

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good point,

The frequency is 50 Hertz in Eastern Japan (including Tokyo, Yokohama, Tohoku, Hokkaido) and 60 Hertz in Western Japan (including Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Shikoku, Kyushu).

No doubt the correct frequency is indicated somewhere on the turntable.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Seconded -I have a Japanese and US models and both are high quality and absolutely silent.

With regard to the frequency, the DP-3000 is a DC servo design and so generates its own internal drive signals, therefore mains frequency should not make any difference to its operation. You might have an issue with the strobe display, depending on where the lamp takes its drive from in the circuit, but it might be OK.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Alan.

I have one of the Maplin step down transformers and it is very good but its 110V

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/240v-to-11...onverter-vr05f

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    I have one of the Maplin step down transformers and it is very good but its 110V

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/240v-to-11...onverter-vr05f

Alan
    looks decent that.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kai.

Thanks for the replies, the airlink ones look good, might get one later unless I can find something more locally. For the time being I got a cheap US transformer and dropped the voltage with a series resistor to about 97V (when TT playing) to be safe. I guess it would probably be ok with 115 but better not risk it I suppose. Of course this arrangement is far from ideal because the voltage the TT sees will change depending how much power it's drawing. However it plays beautifully and both speeds seem solid and stable, so now I at least know it works. Listening to it right now with a Denon DA-305 arm - no plinth and the armboard is just fastened to the chassis with one screw. Enough to give a first impression, seems the motor and bearing are both very quiet, no extra noises what so ever. Now to plan a plinth. Was thinking a heavy birch ply affair. Will make a nice project!

Very poor close up of the thing spinning:

I'm Alan.

You could also get Terry from Canterbury windings to make you a custom transformer to suit the job
    I have had several transformers from him and conclude hes not the cheapest but they are superb quality.

http://www.canterburywindings.co.uk/

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm jamie.

can you guys advise please,
    ive just bought a jap only tt from germany,the seller says it comes with a step down transformer so its just a case of plugging it in. can i assume that its ok to use the tranny here in the uk?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast