+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could do better, may be

I'm Peter.

Default Could do better, may be

Just some idle thinking about REGA turntables, I have the original Planar-3-RB300 arm & Ortofon 2M RED bought in the early 80's, I still have it and still love it, I recently did a couple of cheap upgrades, if you can call it that, I mounted the motor direct to the plinth with the Rega double sided sticky pads, fitted an ally pulley and little Blue Belter belt from DECO audio. Some of the flutter has now gone and wow is not bad but could be better.

However, to my ears motor hum/vibration is far more obvious. Admittedly, its not obtrusive but worse at higher volumes than it was. This big build up brings me to the question, why did Rega not develop the P3 a bit further and like Pro-Ject turntables, isolate the motor from the plinth, I'm now regretting doing away with the original suspended motor as that was very quiet and no hum/vibration transfer to plinth.

If any one has done a motor mount mod of their own design and it worked let me know.
    Rant over.
    God bless

Peter

I'm Dave.

Rega have developed all their turntables with the new models getting progressively better.

The latest models use a 24v motor which is much quieter and can be mounted directly on the plinth, as they have done for a few years now. Your one could do with the 24v motor upgrade kit, not just the original motor stuck on.

I'm Peter.

Hi Dave, I thought you would say that, but it is good advice and I am aware of the benefits, its just working out if its worth spending around £120 +/- on a new motor, or go for a new P3 or Project turntable around the same price.
    The bearing and sub platter are all perfect and I recently put a new Tungston Carbide (moly chrome are not hard enough) ball bearing in 3/16" Dia used on racing push bikes, works fine, note (Available from local push bike shop if your stuck for a new one £1) I also lapped the shaft base which was rough 'cut' and used Rega recommended oil, every thing else on my old Planar is working fine, slight wow on inner tracks on certain music such as piano or long held organ notes which I suspect is down to the old motor and printed circuit board.

Peter

I'm Deleted.

I would be wary of using a tungsten carbide ball - as you say, they are very hard; in fact they are significantly harder than both the bearings thrust pad and the bearing shaft - as such the ball will gradually wear these surfaces and they are very much less easy to replace than a worn ball bearing.

I would also recommend the 24V motor.
    Account Deleted

I'm Peter.

Thanks, I have been recommended a ceramic ball bearing, might look at that as an upgrade later, Is it worth throwing more money at my old but perfect condition Planar 3 or get new. My local dealer although he would like to sell me a new P3 or Project, he said upgrading my turntable and possibly cartridge would get me the best return for my money, I admire his honesty.

I'm Dave.

If you can spare the money, the new Planar-3 is a lovely machine and that would be my choice rather than throw money at the old model. They have moved on a lot.

I agree with Mark, a harder ball would, probably, cause wear and don't even think about a Project. Not in the same league.

I'm Deleted.

As above, I agree with Dave.

It depends how much you value the difference between a new Rega 3 and the second hand value of your current deck. In this case I think the best value is likely to be a new deck as this will come with the 24V motor, upgraded plinth etc.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread