+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pictures of our turntables and tonearms

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Nigel,

Your new sub-forum is now open in the trade section, see here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...a-audio-design

Therefore, please 'populate' it at your earliest convenience, simply by starting a thread there, introducing your products and services to our members. Once you've done that, I'll also move this thread into it.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

Default Pictures of our turntables and tonearms

-
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nothing's been removed this side, Mark, I can assure you.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

Sorry, must be my browser doing weird catch up stuff - I was just about to delete my comment but you were too quick for me .
    Account Deleted

I'm paul.

Each to his/her own but I personally don't like any of them with that aluminium channel.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Iota 1 View Post
    Pictures of the turntables and tonearms, any comments would be interesting.

www.iota-audio-design.com
    Hi Nigel

Many thanks for giving us, the AOS membership the opportunity to voice you some feedback on your turntables.

It nice to be asked.

I have some points for you.

Firstly, the beams of which they are constructed do look a little basic. That is, they look a little too industrial. The end caps with the bolt through the end kind of makes this look even more industrial. Is there a way of encasing them or maybe hiding the slide groove with wood or acrylic maybe?

May I suggest the end caps to also be wood or covered in wood? Or maybe chamfered black glossy acrylic?

The feet look a little rough around the edges too. Is there a way of making them more substantial looking?

The turntable looks superb, I do like the star design for the platter.

Apart from those points I think they look great. It's nice to see a good, imaginative quality deck that's not a Techy rip off.

I wish you all the the best.

Regards
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Is the Ultra SP a concept? I ask because the platter 'arms' would currently knock into the drive pulley - so presumably some further development is due in this area?
    Hi Mark,

No QT Ultra SP is a fully functional item as are the other models, its simply that we have produced a number of different prototypes, with different bearings as well as different sub platters, mounted upon different base boards.

The picture in question is to show how the combination of the SP granite base board and a spindle platter, as it looks when assembled. However in the picture It has a tall metal pulley designed to drive the Spindle platter directly by flat belt, and this involved us raising the Spindle platter and arm board higher than we liked, so the final version has the platter at the same height as in the picture but uses a lower profile metal pulley to drive a thin Acetyl sub platter by round section belt.

see video at

https://youtu.be/RGY2R2lL9ug

I'm Nigel.

Hi Jo,

I appreciate and very much welcome your very constructive criticism.

The products as you see them are best viewed as a work in progress as far as final finish is concerned, each unit so far produced has been built to order so it has been possible to provide an amount of bespoke finish as each customer has requested.

So any of the improvements or changes you suggest are entirely within what can be accommodated in the final build process.

However I have to admit the material used is an industrial material, but selected for what I believe are the right reasons, and perhaps the designs are …. not maybe as subtle or effete as some but hopefully honest in both the choice of materials and why they are used, but within reason I am happy to amend items of finish to suit the individual customer.

However each item used and material chosen has been selected for what affect it has on the sound or the long term reliability. Take the feet for example these are produced using a mixture of cork and polymer resin damping composites, with an anti slip face, they are very stable, strong and fully height adjustable, and what do they do for the sound? Just what I felt I needed.

I have a 500 sq ft workshop with an array of industrial machine tools, and when it comes to feet if its a material that I can put in the lathe and machine I could come up with all sorts of interesting objects, and indeed I have, to prove it I have boxes full of interesting “substantial” objects, but the ones you see seem to sound the best to me. They could be changed but the sound may well change also, and perhaps not for the better.

As to the rest of the design and the appearance I know these will not appeal to everyone, nothing does, but so far some people have, and hopefully perhaps a few more will come to the same conclusion.

I particularly appreciated.

“Apart from those points I think they look great. It's nice to see a good, imaginative quality deck that's not a Techy rip off”.

Best regards

Nigel

I'm Josie.

Hi Nigel.

Your most welcome. Great to see innovation and please keep us updated on any future developments.

Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123