+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of our turntables and tonearms

I'm Nigel.

Hi Grant,

Yes you are right different arm shapes and looks can totally change the appearance of a turntable, and as these designs have been the subject of a very long development, at some time or another most of the usual suspects, as well as some you would not consider have been on for evaluation, however Pultruded carbon fibre does not exactly lend itself to that particular look unfortunately.

As to the cork, its not fixed to the platter, but we just really like what it does to the tone and presentation. A final choice of mat is always dependant upon arm, cartridge, and individual customer.

I'm Deleted.

Default Pictures of our turntables and tonearms

There seem to be two different turntables pictured and both are very interesting. One seems to use a standard platter construction whilst the second uses outriggers that only contact the mat at the centre and points around the edge.

I rather like the aesthetic of both decks .

P.S. I have one of those record clamps .
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Interesting design. As the turntable is belt driven with no belt visible, am I correct in thinking there is a secondary platter 'pulley' in the rectangular enclosure beneath the main platter? If so, that seems to indicate that the platter spindle will be long. Does it sit in one low positioned bearing or is there a second supporting bearing above the 'pulley'?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nigel.

Hi Mark,

Yes you are correct Mark actually its three different models, as follows

iota QT is the “L” shaped turntable.

iota QT Ultra is the “H” shaped turntable with a Rega tonearm with our S/S Swingweight, and ML M platter with cork mat.

iota ultra SP, is the final item again “H” shaped but fitted with the Spindle Platter, and our Satori tonearm. As you say support for the vinyl at the outer edge and around the bearing.

Hi Geoff,

Sorry yes the belt is missing on the iota ultra SP, you can in fact just see the alloy motor pulley towards the rear of the centre hub between two arms of the Spindle platter, from the angle at which the picture is taken its hard to see but the belt drives a sub platter that the centre hub is sitting on.

I'm Deleted.

Default Pictures of our turntables and tonearms

Ah yes, three decks . I see the arm mount moves on rails to adjust the mounting distance. The arm with the square arm tube is supported in a manner strongly reminiscent of the Well Tempered design and I see bias is applied in a similar manner.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 04-07-2016 at 09:10.
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Iota 1 View Post

Hi Geoff,

Sorry yes the belt is missing on the iota ultra SP, you can in fact just see the alloy motor pulley towards the rear of the centre hub between two arms of the Spindle platter, from the angle at which the picture is taken its hard to see but the belt drives a sub platter that the centre hub is sitting on.
    I wondered if that was the pulley or a control of some kind. It's a little hard to make out. I understand the configuration now.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nigel.

Hi Mark,

Yes the arm board can be moved along the extrusion by loosening the cantilever fixings into the T-slot rail and then re tightening, to allow for different arm lengths and geometry.

Yes the arm is suspended but with The Well Tempered that is suspended below the centre of gravity of the tonearm, and then relies upon the silicon in the container below to limit maximum excursion of the tonearm.

On the Satori we suspend it above the centre of gravity, and then control maximum excursion by locating the arm onto the cone of an upward facing control point. The actual point of which makes no contact with the arm. Then unlike the WT as our counterweight is also on an independent pivot, so will swing, hence micro adjustment of Azimuth at the head shell can be made, and the weight will return to perpendicular. Bias does of course depend upon torsional twist of the filaments as you quite rightly say.

I'm Nigel.

Hi Geoff,

Yes would make more sense with a belt, and a lower view point.

I'm Nigel.

This is a view of the QT Ultra without the platter and sub platter.

The QT Ultra SP version (spindle platter) has an upgraded bearing, different motor pulley to this, as well as a granite base board and upgraded power supply.

I'm Deleted.

Is the Ultra SP a concept? I ask because the platter 'arms' would currently knock into the drive pulley - so presumably some further development is due in this area?
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast