+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speakers, speakers ,speakers.

I'm Justin.

Speakers? Yet to find a decent pair. They're all a bit rubbish if you try hard to find their flaws.

The catch is some are less rubbish than others... that is what makes it interesting

I'm Geoff.

The 'perfect' speaker has yet to be made. But there again, the perfect anything does not exist either.

I'd possibly settle for a set of these though:

Avant Garde Acoustics Trio Omega G2
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I would love to hear your thoughts on the RAM STL4s. They are one of those loudspeakers with almost mythical status and the wonder whether RAM did actually make any production models - it's good to hear they did!
    I have seen and heard the STL4's. They were imposing speakers utilizing 2 x Dalesford 8" bass units in a transmission line 1 x 8" Dalesford mid range and the ubiquitous Audax soft dome tweeter as used in the later Bookshelf Monitor MK 2, the Mini Bookshelf, the 100, 150 and 200.
    They had the brown RAM grille material of the time in 2 sections ala Celestion 662. I hasten to add they were larger than the 662 and sounded superior - it's just the 2 piece grille arrangement was the same. I would describe the sound as super smooth and effortless - in my opinion they had no equals at the time. Only a handful were made probably because of not only the cost but the sheer bulk of these things - no doubt a large room was required and an understanding better half.
    For me, the best RAM speakers were the first range - i.e. the Bookshelf and RAM 1. Both employed Dalesford 8' bass/ mids with the Isophon (I think, white KK10?) tweeter. They both had the characteristic RAM warm detailed sound - both had great bass for their size and in particular the RAM1 with their resistive port made up of drinking straws situated above the tweeter. The later RAM 1's used the Audax soft dome tweeter and to my ears didn't sound as balanced same as the Bookshelf Monitor MK2 which again used the Audax tweeter. I understand the supply of the iso

I'm charles.

I understand the supply of the Isophon was terminated by a problem at the manufacturers factory. Anyway, to my ears the Isophon was a better sounding tweeter than the Audax. I have had Monitor Audio MA4 series 1 (Isophon) and series 2 (Audax) - series 1 far superior speaker in my opinion. Anyway, I much prefer the earlier RAM speakers - namely Bookshelf monitor MK1, RAM 1, RAM 2 and RAM 3 compared to the later bookshelf monitor MK2, 100, 150, and 200. And the CD20, DS60, DS70 and DS80.Want to know more about RAM - let me know - want to know about the Gemini/Scorpio range which were about to be launched just before the end of RAM? They utilized Goodmans 8" see through drivers ala Goodmans Achromat Beta, Kappa and Sigma ( without the Hitachi V pleat surrounds) - they were never launched - I bet B &W, KEF and Celestion were relieved - they blew all their comparable models out of the water. I saw RAM ls3/5A's produced - I know how the RAM 400 was developed.
    Shame they went under - nothing to do with the performance of the speakers, I might add.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The 'perfect' speaker has yet to be made. But there again, the perfect anything does not exist either.

I'd possibly settle for a set of these though:

Avant Garde Acoustics Trio Omega G2
    I've heard their smaller siblings Geoff, and what they did well they did superbly well, especially Piano and vocals. However, for me, money-no-object, it would have to be the Tannoy Kingdom Royals as some of the best all-rounders available today:

Only problem being that you'd need a pretty large room and these aren't the sort of speakers that stand neatly towards the rear wall!

I'm Justin.

Also, they're butt ugly. They are indeed near the top of the rubbish tip, however.

Not seen Duos and Trios together before. Gross room, wonder whether the combo works that well. Trios and basshorns close to world's best according to these ears.

I'm Geoff.

Has anybody heard these yet?

Living Voice Vox Olympian.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Yup.
    And?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Who cares what they sound like? You just sit there and admire the veneering!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast