+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Speakers, speakers ,speakers.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    The problem Martin is that horn systems need huge bass horns to get anywhere close to being full frequency, and the size precludes them from most domestic spaces...think Western Eelectric 15 or 16A or larger. The really large ones that I've heard do things so differently though to conventional speakers that I can see their attraction. The music just appears to be there, and the dynamic swings and immediacy have to be experienced with these ultra high sensitivity designs. Trouble is they were never designed or meant to be for domestic spaces, most of the so-called high end horn systems today using active bass crossed over to passive mid/hf and that is something really hard to get right. The Cessaros I thought did a good job but again, I didn't experience them with bass heavy thump-thump music and guess that those wealthy enough to buy them aren't into electronica or dubstep!
    The system I'm talking about had tapped bass horns. So it did do the real low bass. And I think fully active 5 way. Someone said to me they thought it 'too big, like being in the cinema' But I quite like that.

I also like the mid bass to be a bit 'fruity' - I don't want that added upstream I like it to be a feature of the speakers. The bass side of the 'West Coast' sound. I know it is not neutral and it is the sort of balance they put into (or used to) 'lifestyle' systems. I know I shouldn't but I do. Not too much, not a comedy bass hump, Just that little bit of fruitiness - 80hz to 250 hz or thereabouts raised up a bit. But with the deep bass as well of course. So some speakers can be a bit too neutral for me I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Florin.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    I understand the supply of the Isophon was terminated by a problem at the manufacturers factory. Anyway, to my ears the Isophon was a better sounding tweeter than the Audax. I have had Monitor Audio MA4 series 1 (Isophon) and series 2 (Audax) - series 1 far superior speaker in my opinion. Anyway, I much prefer the earlier RAM speakers - namely Bookshelf monitor MK1, RAM 1, RAM 2 and RAM 3 compared to the later bookshelf monitor MK2, 100, 150, and 200. And the CD20, DS60, DS70 and DS80.Want to know more about RAM - let me know - want to know about the Gemini/Scorpio range which were about to be launched just before the end of RAM? They utilized Goodmans 8" see through drivers ala Goodmans Achromat Beta, Kappa and Sigma ( without the Hitachi V pleat surrounds) - they were never launched - I bet B &W, KEF and Celestion were relieved - they blew all their comparable models out of the water. I saw RAM ls3/5A's produced - I know how the RAM 400 was developed.
    Shame they went under - nothing to do with the performance of the speakers, I might add.
    Hi Charles.
    I've got a pair of RAM DS80 here in the UK but also have shipped abroad to my holiday home a pair of B&W DM2.
    I was wondering whether to keep the DS80 or break them down and use the Dalesford drivers in the DM2. Can't do a side by side comparison as I don't have the space for a proper audition on the DS80's. Have you had any experience with B&W's DM2? Would a bass driver from an ABR configuration be suitable in a transmission line configuration?
    Kindest.

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by florin View Post
    Hi Charles.
    I've got a pair of RAM DS80 here in the UK but also have shipped abroad to my holiday home a pair of B&W DM2.
    I was wondering whether to keep the DS80 or break them down and use the Dalesford drivers in the DM2. Can't do a side by side comparison as I don't have the space for a proper audition on the DS80's. Have you had any experience with B&W's DM2? Would a bass driver from an ABR configuration be suitable in a transmission line configuration?
    Kindest.
    Apart from the fact that the Dalesford driver will not be a simple drop in replacement into the DM2, it's not really viable to replace drive units from one completely different speaker to another. You will simply destroy the performance of the speaker. Loudspeakers are designed as a complete system.
    If you enjoy the sound of both speakers then keep them original. If you have a faulty drive unit, look to obtain a second hand replacement (which is not always easy). Possibly change the caps but please don't attempt to swap around different drive units.
    If you're unhappy with the sound of one or both of these speakers, get rid of them and buy something else that you like.
    Best wishes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456