+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy 'Oxford' T125 HF Driver - Ferrofluid replacement

I'm Karl.

Default Tannoy 'Oxford' T125 HF Driver - Ferrofluid replacement

Has anyone ever changed the "Ferro fluid" in theses units..? (Driver model No. 1108B)

I have been in touch with Tannoy and the answer I received was they are not serviceable... helpful.

I have seen the fluid available.. just wondered if its all the same viscosity etc...? some places state they are selling Tannoy fluid..?

any help greatly appreciated..

Cheers

I'm Alex.

I think I had these apart years ago, one of mine stopped working. Don't remember seeing ferrofluid in there. Tweeter coil was open circuit though. Audax made unit I believe. Bought two second hand ones on ebay, both no good.
    Spendorman

I'm Karl.

Cheers..

One of mine was not working.. when I checked the coil no reading at all so took it apart and there is fluid inside... brown and crusty... I have a new 'used' one coming. Just wondered if anyone had done this job...?

I'm Alex.

Perhaps the brown and crusty was burnt out coil not ferrofluid. I was thinking of fitting a different tweeter to the horn, looks possible.
    Spendorman

I'm Karl.

Nope... defo fluid I poured it out... the original spec quotes the use of the fluid...

http://www.hnny.nl/archief_tannoy/pd...-cambridge.pdf

I'm Grant.

Parts express and simply speakers do kits i think.. Dunno about oxfords though.

There was a guy on emotiva lounge did a walk through for doing tweeters, that might help

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...fluid-tweeters
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanders1 View Post
    Nope... defo fluid I poured it out... the original spec quotes the use of the fluid...

http://www.hnny.nl/archief_tannoy/pd...-cambridge.pdf
    Ah, OK then. I think that the crossover uses electrolytic capacitors in it. I would replace these as they are likely to off by now, could be one of the reason the tweeter failed.
    Spendorman

I'm Karl.

I swapped the good tweeter over to check... all good there. But yes that's on the list.. cheers

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Ah, OK then. I think that the crossover uses electrolytic capacitors in it. I would replace these as they are likely to off by now, could be one of the reason the tweeter failed.
    If the cap in that speaker is failing would the good tweeter still work..? or are you saying that its a cause and over time will make a replacement unit fail..?

Cheers

I'm Alex.

Quite possible that the new tweeter will work, but the old capacitor(s) could kill the new good unit.

Happens quite a lot in old KEF speakers. T27's blown by bad electrolytic capacitors. They can increase in capacitance, lowering the crossover frequency, putting more power through the tweeter than designed.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast