+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Complete turn around on my desktop system - now this active set-up

I'm Dan.

Default Complete turn around on my desktop system - now this active set-up

Well after today's demo (please note all speakers were very well run in); I used music from MAW, Eric Morillo, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin, Flume, Hed Kandi, London Elektricity, The XX, Massive Attack, Beastie Boys, Jurassic 5, SOAD and Rammstein. The findings are/were:

- Adam F5s; lovely. Great sounding speaker from the off, but it just wasn't clicking...
    - KRK Rokit 6s; yeah, ok... Very coloured to suit dance music only IMO
    - Focal Alpha 50s; tinny as they come, thin and a bit painful... Looked great though!
    - M-Audio BX6s; same as the KRK's, coloured, bass dependent and that's it... Great to push loud with some MAW blasting through them, but they couldn't handle much else IMO
    - JBLs; wow! And I mean wow... They sounded fantastic. Very taut bass, plenty of slam and power when turned loud, but don't lose that ability at lower volumes! Great midrange, very detailed on vocals, but not painful Not bright, just open/dynamic at the top end which worked well with all the music I tried!

Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon before training where I appear to have buggered my left shoulder again; so was nice to get home, tidy my desk/office a bit and get the JBLs set up

Some pics:

The interface (USB from my Mac Mini in, 1/4" cables out)

My Office : M2 Mac Mini Pro > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via Apple Music > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > Arcam Alpha 10 integrated > B&W 602 S3s or AE109 speakers - Van Damme cables

I'm Dan.

More and more impressed with these speakers now I've had them for a good few days!

had them on non-stop more or less; managed to get them running loud today with some Massive Attack, Jersey Boys soundtrack and System of a Down through them and my god they can rattle the downstairs!

For 5" woofers they belt out sound that you'd think is beyond them!!!
    My Office : M2 Mac Mini Pro > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via Apple Music > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > Arcam Alpha 10 integrated > B&W 602 S3s or AE109 speakers - Van Damme cables

I'm Grant.

Look small too Dan. JBL do make some impressive speakers
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dan.

They are in comparison to the RX2 behemoths I had beforehand!

Perfect for desktop systems Grant

I'm Kjell.

JBL sure can pack a punch indeed Happy to hear they seem to get the job done!
    Sony TA-F830ES - Sony CDP-X707ES - Technics SL-1210MK2 w.Ortofon 2M Black - ASR Mini Basis MKIII - Hegel HD11 - JBL 4319 - Blue Jeans Cable - Project Ground-it Deluxe

I'm Rich.

Perfect looking desktop system there.

Pls tell us a bit more about the JBLs, model and price.

We do like a bit of a find here....
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Dan.

Not a lot to say really; you can find all the info on the web: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/r...5#.V3eHKZMrKS4

Class D amps, 41W to the HF and 41W to the LF; 5" two-way speakers; belts out bass you wouldn't think possible with this size of woofer/speaker cabinet! It's very good bass though, deep/taut/well timed and no bloom to it IMO... Not as coloured as some of the other speakers I heard either, as per the first post

Plus I think the industrial looks of the JBLs suit them really well; dark and foreboding lol

+ Reply to Thread