+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Currrent super rock band reissues - Any good? - (Election free zone)

I'm Simon.

If you're into Rush, the new vinyl issues are superb, all mastered by Sean Magee. If you're into classic Maiden, those (also by Magee) are superb also. Not sure what the new Floyd ones are like as am yet to purchase any but I did like the 3 they released a few years back. I'm mainly waiting for Meddle and Animals myself.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    If you're into Rush, the new vinyl issues are superb, all mastered by Sean Magee.
    I picked up Exit Stage Left and Moving Pictures from those reissues. Moving Pictures sounds superb. Exit Stage Left less so but still pretty good.

Any Scott Walker fans need to get the Box Set reissue (1st four solo albums + 'Til The Band Comes In). High quality stuff! Best birthday present my wife has ever bought me.

And the King Crimson reissues sound amazing too.

I'd be interested in any opinions on the recentish Black Sabbath reissues, anyone heard or own them?

Sorry to highjack your post Josie!
    Last edited by HackneyRF; 25-06-2016 at 11:54.

I'm Bob.

I have the original Led Zeps 1 to 4 on the old Red / Purple labels, and the 2 LP reissue of Led Zep 2, which contains unreleased versions on the second disc. Well worth having for this material alone but SQ surpasses the originals.

Beatles reissues are good: didn't buy the box set, just picked the ones I wanted (which has actually finished up as most of them). I now have 5 versions of Help! Three from back in the day (2 stereo, 1 mono), the new 180g reissue and the reissue mono version that has a slightly different presentation. It's the stereo 180g I play the most.

Don't overlook the Beatles / George Martin LOVE LP. Excellent quality, only one poor track on it. Also the red 27 number 1's album is pretty good. You can hear how the techniques change as the years roll by.
    Last edited by bob4333; 27-06-2016 at 16:57.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Josie.

Thank you very much for your help chaps.

I have owned the Quiex version of IV before and do remember that it sounded great.

How about Floyd? - Looking at the amount of versions of especially DSOTM, it's really quiet confusing. So how are the latest Abbey Road remasters?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Bob.

This is spooky: you don't have a way of peeking at my record collection by any chance.......?

My copy of DSOTM is a first UK pressing that I bought within days of it's release and sounded pretty good. I say sounded as 3 years ago it got stacked upright 8 feet from a window that catches the sun for a couple of hours in the afternoon and guess what? It's now unplayable and all I can do is sit and look at it and contemplate my idiocy. Which is even more annoying given the sums some people pay for these at auction.

So I now have a new heavyweight remastered copy of the recording and it far exceeds the old flower pot version. The sound is clean and fresh, with a lot more body to it and that bloody alarm clock and chimes at the start of "Time" aren't half as grating as they used to be. So, well recommended.

I also have two copies of The Division Bell. The first is on blue vinyl and the less said about SQ the better - but in my defence it was the only copy I could buy new. I think even the CD version sounds better. Fast forward to July 2014 and I bought the remastered version on 2 180g LP's cut from the original analogue masters. As you might expect this is everything you might wish for and delivers on it's promise.

Only draw back is that being spread over 4 sides you get a lot more enforced exercise than a 2 sided version, but your ears will love you for it.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    This is spooky: you don't have a way of peeking at my record collection by any chance.......?

My copy of DSOTM is a first UK pressing that I bought within days of it's release and sounded pretty good. I say sounded as 3 years ago it got stacked upright 8 feet from a window that catches the sun for a couple of hours in the afternoon and guess what? It's now unplayable and all I can do is sit and look at it and contemplate my idiocy. Which is even more annoying given the sums some people pay for these at auction.

So I now have a new heavyweight remastered copy of the recording and it far exceeds the old flower pot version. The sound is clean and fresh, with a lot more body to it and that bloody alarm clock and chimes at the start of "Time" aren't half as grating as they used to be. So, well recommended.

I also have two copies of The Division Bell. The first is on blue vinyl and the less said about SQ the better - but in my defence it was the only copy I could buy new. I think even the CD version sounds better. Fast forward to July 2014 and I bought the remastered version on 2 180g LP's cut from the original analogue masters. As you might expect this is everything you might wish for and delivers on it's promise.

Only draw back is that being spread over 4 sides you get a lot more enforced exercise than a 2 sided version, but your ears will love you for it.
    Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your reply.

lol... It must have been my second sight...

Ouch!... That is a bad thing to happen to a most treasured lp. I hope you keep them well away from the window now.

Interesting about the chimes on DSOTM, it's always grated me. I bought the 20th anniversary remaster back in the 90's and I was wanting those chimes to be presented better but alas not. I was never impressed by that remaster back then.

I was never a fan of Division Bell, I bought it on cd but it didn't click unfortunately.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The Speakers Corner version is the best version I've ever heard.
    The thing is, Speakers Corner try to produce the very best versions they can, not replicate first edition releases. They try to do better than first edition releases, and it shows.
    I have a Speakers Corner copy of the Moody Blues second album Days of Future Past, fabulous
    Regards Neil

I'm Josie.

That's a great album, Neil.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    That's a great album, Neil.
    A lot of my early musical exploration was when I was in school, borrowing cassette tapes from the local library and the Moody Blues covers attracted me, as did Yes. Days of Future Past with its orchestration is simply wonderful, as good today as it was back in the day.
    Regards Neil

I'm Alf.

Hi Bob

I have just had some warped unplayable lps flattened by analogue seduction for about £4 per lp plus post and in all cases they are now playable. I would recommend you send your original (blue Triangle?) to Terry Field at AS and get it sorted.

The blue triangles (genuine early heavy vinyls) are meant to be the best

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast