+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dynacord SRS56 DIY refurb component identification?

I'm Geoff.

Default Dynacord SRS56 DIY refurb component identification?

Hello chaps and chapesses! What's this 'ere component, that's spunked all it's gubbins over the other? And what is the other? The stripes are, left to right, dark blue, grey and diarrhea brown, with a gold stripe over the arch after the brown, so it's rating is...? Thanks!

I'm Geoff.

To me. At a guess. That looks more like conductive paint than a leakage.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andr'e.

The maroon jobbies are resistors, Resistors don't usually spunk up mate

680R/5%

I'm Geoff.

Oh, right. Thanks!

Well, either way, the traces on the PCB don't join those two so that may be at least contributing to the problems I'm having. Also, there is a matching PCB in the unit that doesn't have the same thing happening, so I think it's safe enough to assume that it's not supposed to be there? It looks like it's 'run', hence me thinking the component had leaked.

It was an eBay purchase (from Germany) and, surprise suprise, it arrived not working correctly. Also, surprise surprise, the seller said it was fine when it left him. There was a MASSIVE amount of noise and crackle from the outputs and the reverb and delay functions just gave a load of noise - hissing and popping, robot having a meltdown etc. So, I opened it up and found that the protective foam from inside the case had disintergrated all over the myriad PCBs. I hovered it out as best I could and this gave a slight improvement which lead me to believe that the foam had some conductive properties. Because of the amount of PCBs, and because some are vertically connected to the flat ones, I decided to pass it on to a local elctronics repair man...

I got it back from him yesterday and found that there was a great improvement with regards to the noise, it only being noticable if you turned up the delay/reverb return level pots past halfway. However, now the main delay is only giving one repeat and of the two the secondary reverb functions, only one is working. Feeling a bit braver, I pulled out some PCBs myself. For starters, he hadnt done a complete job on the clean out as there were still some foam particles hanging around (see the black stuff in the pic). I also saw the above, which he obviously didnt pick up on.

So, I have now resolved to stripping it down and scrubbing the PCBs myself and, although not massively skilled with a soldering iron, replacing any defective parts. Hopefully the BBD's themselves are OK (there are ten in this unit!) as they are rare and can only be bought from units being sold for spares. The only things that are really concerning me at the moment are that most of the PCBs seem to have some kind of fading/staining on them and also some of the traces look a bit weak. I've got nothing much to lose by giving it a go, I guess. If I have to sell it as for spares and repairs then I'll lose about £200 on it and what could be a great delay from my studio.

I'm Andr'e.

Well that Gold/Brown electrolytic is a recent replacement.. Cant see the [Blue] Tantalums being the problem..Can you swap those IC's from each channel see if there's a issue there before you start pulling caps..

I'm Geoff.

I shall give it go as soon as time allows! Thanks!

I think I remember the main delay, noisy as it was, was, er, delaying properly before I gave it to chappie, as opposed to it's now one repeat, so it may have been something that's happened since then.

I shall report back when I know more!

I'm Geoff.

Rather than swap the ICs about I decided to swap the PCBs about since they looked identical. All working fine now! It seems Mr Repairman had put them back wrong! Odd since, like I say, they looked identical, but there you go...

Thanks for your help!

I'm Andr'e.

You really need to be changing those Maroon Electrolytics tho. Be sure to put the replacements in the right way around..

+ Reply to Thread