+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For Seriously Good Cheap/Reasonably Priced Speaker Cable

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Hadnt thought about the shield connection TBH might ask Brian to terminate mine for me. I have some of Mark Grants bannana plugs at the moment, they are very good but just struggle a bit to contain all the copper in the 6mm no name stuff im running just now.
    Nice solid plug with good quality screws.
    Cheers for that Tony, haven't been on Mark Grants site for ages, off for a browse.

I'll wait 'til the mafia 'Cable Guy' comes on for termination advice.
    We are the love we leave behind.

I'm Grant.

Trouble with shielding speaker cable is one of capacitence increase. Also the chances of shorts. Will be interesting to see how the guys including Paul get round these. Output impedence of an amp is usually very low as well... i will read on with interest
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

danilo Guest

Theory claims that Only resistance is critical in a Speaker wire, which is a power delivery wire after all.
    Minimum resistance is the Goal in speaker wires, as Amps and Voice coils interact reactively through the speaker wires.
    Possibly shielding might be useful if running the Speaker wires thru a Microwave or equivalent environment ?

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Possibly shielding might be useful if running the Speaker wires thru a Microwave or equivalent environment ?

That shielded cable looks interesting. My Tannoys have a fifth terminal 'ground' connection, which is wired to the driver chassis / frame. I've never heard any difference whenever I have connected it, whether to an amplifier ground terminal, or directly to the mains earth, but otoh I've never used shielded speaker cables. Maybe connecting the cable shield to that terminal, and a system ground might be beneficial? I've always thought that hanging 5 metres of aeriel off the end of an amplifier was probably not a good idea ... I guess the shielding might help with that.

I'm Jerry.

I have ordered 11 metres of the Hollywood Twist cable to see how it compares to the blue Van Damme stuff I am using atm.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Martin.

Initial impressions of this cable are very favorable indeed, blows my current £300ish cable right out of the ball park.

Nicely balanced across the audio spectrum with an excellent silky top end and solid bottom end, soundstage that just draws you in.

Inner cores look very similar to some nasty stuff (think 25 years of wedlock) I bought after being duped by a recommendation in a popular mag, but luckily that's where the similarities end, the more I listen as this beds in the more IMO I can't believe how good this cable truly is.

Big thank you to the Doc for the heads up on this cable, for the princely sum of £10 for the cable and £7.80 for these plugs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2310770105...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT for a 2.5m pair, my ears are truly happy.

Another excellent AOS bargain to sit alongside the likes of the Klotz/MS audio i/cs? Watch this space.

For those that are wondering I just left the screen unconnected.
    Last edited by Hudz; 28-09-2016 at 14:18. Reason: Screen connection

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudz View Post
    Initial impressions of this cable are very favorable indeed, blows my current £300ish cable right out of the ball park.

Nicely balanced across the audio spectrum with an excellent silky top end and solid bottom end, soundstage that just draws you in.

Inner cores look very similar to some nasty stuff (think 25 years of wedlock) I bought after being duped by a recommendation in a popular mag, but luckily that's where the similarities end, the more I listen as this beds in the more I can't believe how good this cable truly is.

Big thank you to the Doc for the heads up on this cable, for the princely sum of £10 for the cable and £7.80 for these plugs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2310770105...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT for a 2.5m pair, my ears are truly happy.

Another excellent AOS bargain to sit alongside the likes of the Klotz/MS audio i/cs? Watch this space.
    How did you connect it up
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    How did you connect it up
    Just left the screen/shield floating

I'm Grant.

Ok, ta. Glad its working well. A few folk got some. Although it will affect capacitence, i would think it safer not to earth the screen.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

My thoughts exactly, be interesting to see if anyone better qualified tries it with the screen earthed.
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ok, ta. Glad its working well. A few folk got some. Although it will affect capacitence, i would think it safer not to earth the screen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast