+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital Phono Pre-amp Advice

I'm Geoff.

Default Digital Phono Pre-amp Advice

Hi,

having recently returned to the UK I am rediscovering my extensive vinyl collection that has been in storage for the best part of two decades. Although I have purchased duplicate cds of much of my vinyl collection, there are many titles not available on cd. Before going overseas again I would like to do quality rips of those albums.

My question is this: can anyone recommend a good quality phono preamp with digital outputs (preferably optical). I am aware of what is on the market from Creative Labs, Rega, Nad, Pro-ject etc but I really want to hear from a user. Ideally, the chosen unit would have an mc input, but if necessary I could use a step up transformer. I would like to keep the transfer chain as simple as possible though.

thanks for any info ..

I'm Rob.

One suggestion - have you considered doing this using software for RIAA conversion? eg http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8...o-stage-25328/

Not tried it myself but the idea is quite appealing I think. You'd need a device with good microphone pre-amps to feed the raw phono signal into.
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Geoff.

Interesting suggestion. I did wonder if this was possible. I actually have two devices capable of recording Linear PCM wav files (one in 24/96). I guess I would feed the analogue phono out signal via a rca to 3.5 stereo jack plug and then correct the recording afterwards.

Mmmm!

I'm Hugo.

I've bought one of these http://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blast...sic-premium-hd , mainly to make running the Feickert Adjust+software a bit easier. It seems to have as good a spec as anything else, at a fair price; and it has that optical output that you want.

I'm Geoff.

I looked at this online. Do you have a file you could send me to show the quality of the rip? The price is very attractive.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 18-06-2016 at 13:02.

I'm Hugo.

Sorry - I have yet to use it, but the spec looks to be good, especially for the price.

+ Reply to Thread