+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LG OLED TVs

I'm Bill.

Hi Justin

How well do you find the TV copes with standard definition transmissions?

Cheers. Bill

I'm Justin.

Well the SKY SD stuff really varies in levels of compression. When the level of compression isn't obviously high it is fine. When it is high, it looks pretty poor.

To be fair the same is true of my 46 inch LCD Sony, but it seems to blur highly compressed stuff in a politer fashion. Still looks pretty poor though.

My overall impression is it isn't that forgiving.

I'm Bill.

Thanks for that - only problem is that I've not got Sky, so difficult to relate. How far away from the TV do you think you would really want to sit to happily watch a freeview SD transmission?

Cheers. Bill

I'm Justin.

Bill - this might not be the answer you want to hear. I think:

1) If Freeview is your only source do NOT buy it. Insufficient HD program input.
    2) If your internet connection isn't fast e.g. 20-30Mbps+ really, that's a big loss of Ultra HD content that could be available to you via live streaming. A strong pointer not to buy a set like this. At the mo for having fun with UHD it is the only good & easy option til Sky get on the bandwagon, which should be soon I hear. I'm running Sky Q at the mo.

For Freeview, keep your screen size much smaller and your watching distances appreciable. My 26 inch LG works fine in the kitchen on SD and HD content. In fact, you're frigged to tell the difference between SD and HD most of the time even when quite close up e.g. 4 to 5 feet.

It is too unforgiving to watch poor quality content on even at 12+ feet, really.

I'm Gary.

Upscaling can help a bit?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Justin.

BTW good 4K UHD does the job at super close distances at this screen size i.e. a foot or a few inches.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Upscaling can help a bit?
    You'd hope but I don't think it is that effective really. Which is counter to what the TV manufacturers would want you to believe.

Garbage in and no degree of mathematical processing/guesswork really saves it. IMHO of course.

I'm Bill.

Hi Justin

I'm looking at around 15-16 feet I'd guess. Current broadband is only around 6-7Mbps. Am wondering about freesat, but not too keen on paying for Sky.

I currently use an excellent 36" Philips CRT, but am wondering about a bit of new technology!

What do you think?

Cheers. Bill

I'm Justin.

I am watching at pretty much exactly the the same distance as you are Bill.

If I were you, if it is available, upgrade to fast broadband and forget SKY TV services. We only have that because of my wife's preferences.

Then see which online TV service provider you favour out of Amazon, Netflix etc and buy either a Sony if you prefer a warmer picture or an LG OLED if you can handle something that ultimately has better definition.

But, just like audio, it is a personal choice based on experience and preferences. All I can say is the OLED tech is interestingly different in the same way that different speaker technologies are. Choose your poison based on your own instinct, as I am sure you will anyway. You're the boss if you're paying, after all.

I'm still assessing plus and minus points. The in-set LG s/w is a massive leap ahead of the 26 inch LG kitchen TV, though. And the controller is a very interesting change on GUI interfaces.

Keep checking back for more thoughts as I suss the thing out.

I'm Bill.

I'll keep my eyes open, it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts as time goes on. Sadly no sign of high speed broadband getting to me any time soon, and now it seems that the government don't think people out in the sticks will want it anyway! Can you believe it?

Cheers. Bill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast