+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: LG OLED TVs

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yosemite is the one where Ansel Adams took his superb B&W photos.

Barry

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Ah that's right. It's the one where Yogi Bear lives. I always mix them up.
    No Martin, that's Jellystone, close but no cigar. LOL
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Justin.

OK - so - are these OLED displays worth £3.5K - which is what this one was less than a year ago? I don't think so.

TBH I think you'd be a nutcase to spend that on the newer E6. Just wait til it is £1.5K or less. Which really won't be long. Maybe 9 to 12 months time if they issue a new model again?

For now, this one is way less than half the price of the E6, with only a fraction less performance. 9/10 rather than 9.5/10 according to one source.

In other words, don't rip yourself unless you really must

I'm Geoffrey.

Justin, when the LG OLED upscales 1080p or 1080i content what's the picture quality like ? is it a little better or a great deal better ?

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle owl View Post
    Justin, when the LG OLED upscales 1080p or 1080i content what's the picture quality like ? is it a little better or a great deal better ?
    There's no specific option to turn it on or off, as far as I can see. Sky Q always outputs at 1080p no matter what the source actually is.

Using Freeview Sky News and other HD channels are at 1080i. Almost indistinguishable from 1080p for the most part.

Freeview's SD is reported at 576i which must be by default be upscaled. It doesn't look good at 16 feet as a rule. You know you are watching it straight away, without exception, really.

1080p looks good, for the most part, at 16 feet. But the quality of the kit used to shoot it, the degree of Sky's compression and other factors like the scenes being shot and the lighting the camera is trying to capture all play a part.

Low lit scenes are better on this TV than any other tech I have seen.

Broadcast Sky Q 1080p upscaled does not look like 4K. No where near as good when close up.

These sets are way beyond the level of quality the Sky and Freeview are able to provide at the moment. Good 4K on YouTube just shows how far behind they really are. Even at 16 feet.

Hope that helps.

I'm Justin.

The biggest suck feature is it doesn't have a good ambient light compensator. The settings are remembered for each TV input type. So you have to use separate day and night time settings.

That means you are constantly changing the set's display mode, for evening and night time viewing, for each input type. This is an absolute pain in the arse TBH. The TV's worst feature. Since I don't give a monkey's arse as I am not a pro reviewer, and I have not seen a review mention this, I thought I'd point it out.

Owning one for a while now, and looking back at LED TVs, and with the caveat of the last paragraph, I'd still buy it. Morer betterer I think.
    Last edited by User211; 06-07-2016 at 11:56.

I'm Geoffrey.

Thanks Justin.

I'm Justin.

Wallpaper TV.

I'm Mike.

I work for an A/V firm in Warrington LG are at the cutting edge of display technology at the moment, probably a little bit ahead of the rest with their OLED technology, this video shows what they have in the pipeline

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Jerry.

Really interesting. I had made up my mind to buy an LG quantum dot tv in March but I might need to rethink that. I have read some comments about the life of OLED displays not being that good; wonder if that's sorted.
    With regard to sound no mention of DTS, supposedly better than ATMOS.
    The wallpaper displays are the dogs danglies though....
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast