+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Linn to axe cd players.

I'm David.

I think it will suprise a lot of people how quickly cd will be fazed out! It shouldn't be forgoten that no one is asking anybody to replace their music colection, just to rip it on to the computer - the only extra cost be time! I can't see how there is any advantage of a cd player over streamer at all! Whereas vinyl is different thing altogether! I can see the future and it's a system like mine - music streaming and a decent tt if people are that way inclinded
    as soon as the big main stream boys get on board and bring out (as dimitri says) decent streamers, you can wave buybuy to cd in a matter of a few years I would have thought! Cd eventually will just be a format of getting the data onto a computer and probably only for the second hand Market!
    The only problem with all this is owning the rights to own music, and how that will be controlled... But that's another convo althogether (and one I would stick out of for that matter)
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

This may be relevant , or not perhaps ' but i read a small snippet in the paper last week , that some think tank after doing much research , felt that next year DVD will be phased out completely ? .

It matter's not to me weather Linn stop making CD player's as i can't afford them , (don't like them either) in fact i don't have any CD player anyway as i prefer my unidisc spinner, (dvds2700) which plays SACD/DVDAUDIO.

Downloads may be the future but i don't see myself owning a DS player anytime soon , i feel quite resistant to them in fact .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Neil.

Lots of cheap CDs to buy....yipeee.

Frankly I would not put this down to any thing other than a "marketing ploy" on Linn's behalf. Remember their anti CD venom....then low and behold they make CD players.

The thing that annoys me about all this is this shift is based/designed to serve a sizable % of the population who think nothing of stealing music thats digital. First the law abiding people (me) had to deal with copy protection that damaged compatibility and sound, then its compression and loudness, now its a future of no CD players. Maybe these streaming players sound better than Cd players thats possible, but by going down this road you all surrender another layer of independence. You will only be able to get whats on line, hoping that while you down load there is no glitches in/on the net. You will have to back up the contents of your hard drives in case of failure. And at the end of the day you will have nothing to show, no collection..nothing.

This future is not for me....sign me out now.

The only bright note is vinyl is on the rise again.

Edit.....Oh yeah scratched CDs are as a result of owner carelessness, not a flaw in the format. None of my CDs are scratched unless they are S/H.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 20-11-2009 at 11:13.
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up

Hear, hear - I completely agree!!

As much as I rate music servers and streaming from a sonic point of view, as in conjunction with a top-notch DAC, the sound can be amazing, but it's a rather soulless and 'un-human' way of accessing one's music collection.

Like Neil, I enjoy the 'ritual' of playing records and CDs, and most importantly, having a physical music collection that's actually worth something both in a financial and an emotional sense...

But I can appreciate that not everyone thinks that way

Marco.

P.S I agree about scratched CDs, too - I don't have any!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hear, hear - I completely agree!!

As much as I rate music servers and streaming from a sonic point of view, as in conjunction with a top-notch DAC, the sound can be amazing, but it's a rather soulless and 'un-human' way of accessing one's music collection.

Like Neil, I enjoy the 'ritual' of playing records and CDs, and most importantly having a physical music collection that's actually worth something both in a financial and an emotional sense...

But I can appreciate that not everyone thinks that way

Marco.

They're not going to like that ...those Cybermen/Borg types....assimilate...assimilate----convergence, wire your brain into the net and your soul and humanity will evaporate.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

Neil,
    Only up to a point. If all the above is true, then eventually there will be no new music on CD, therefore only the existing CD catalogue can ever get onto the 2nd hand market.
    It's all bad, I think - People like to own 'stuff'

I'm Martijn.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post

I'm still waiting for the broad-market actors (Sony-Pioneer-Denon etc) to start producing decent network players. It shouldn't take much longer, now.
    I've got a decent network player for some time now, it's called an Apple Macbook

My CD player has been dead and gone since about one and a half years ago, although I still have a DVD player who can also play Cd's...
    And since I put an 7520 DAC between it and my amp I don't think I will ever buy a CDP again, sound quality wise.
    Still buy Cd's occasionally but then rip them to 32bits Flac and put them in my music library.
    Work brilliantly

But Cd's may become the new vinyl, only used by a select group of users.
    Streaming for the masses and the "old media" for the people looking for something with higher quality.
    But then again, I think that Vinyl still tops the CD when it comes to quality listening
    Last edited by Cubeman; 20-11-2009 at 11:39.
    Martijn

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubeman View Post
    I've got a decent network player for some time now, it's called an Apple Macbook

My CD player has been dead and gone since about one and a half years ago, although I still have a DVD player who can also play Cd's...
    Still buy Cd's occasionally but then rip them to 32bits Flac and put them in my music library.
    Work brilliantly

But Cd's may become the new vinyl, only used by a select group of users.
    Streaming for the masses and the "old media" for the people looking for something with higher quality.
    But then again, I think that Vinyl still tops the CD when it comes to quality listening

I agree with that.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

Frankly I would not put this down to any thing other than a "marketing ploy" on Linn's behalf. Remember their anti CD venom....then low and behold they make CD players.

The thing that annoys me about all this is this shift is based/designed to serve a sizable % of the population who think nothing of stealing music thats digital. First the law abiding people (me) had to deal with copy protection that damaged compatibility and sound, then its compression and loudness, now its a future of no CD players. Maybe these streaming players sound better than CD players thats possible, but by going down this road you all surrender another layer of independence. You will only be able to get whats on line, hoping that while you down load there is no glitches in/on the net. You will have to back up the contents of your hard drives in case of failure. And at the end of the day you will have nothing to show, no collection..nothing.

This future is not for me....sign me out now.

The only bright note is vinyl is on the rise again.

Edit.....Oh yeah scratched CDs are as a result of owner carelessness, not a flaw in the format. None of my CDs are scratched unless they are S/H.

Regards D S D L
    I'm inclined to agree Neil,

Despite the sheer volume of records, CDs and DVDs, at least the software is there, mine and immune to corruption and system crashes.

I enjoy the ritual of physically choosing the item to be played, loading it in the player or putting it on the turntable and being able to read the sleeve notes. No doubt the cover art can be downloaded but it's not so convenient as having the sleeve in one's hand.

No, in spite of the elegance of having everything on a hard disc in the cupboard 'under the stairs' serving as a glorified juke box, I just don't trust the technology. Personal computers are reckoned to have a life of only about 10 years.

Regards
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I enjoy the ritual of physically choosing the item to be played, loading it in the player or putting it on the turntable and being able to read the sleeve notes.
    Damn right, baby! It's part of the human process of living...

Never mind that, though, I love watching the cartridge and stylus traversing the record whilst I listen to the music played, and even the look and smell of different records

Sad? Who cares - at least it's tangible and 'real'!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast