+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A journey to the origins of my family

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Superb Werner, I totally love the pictures and great to see out and about. I noticed you still have a love of bread

I like to travel light and I'm on the point of applying the same principle to my life, it doesn't take much these days to mske me happy and coming to live in China has reaffirmed I really do want to life a simple life.

When I have some time I will have a look at the full picture website, but I'm off to Thailand tomorrow and have a few things to do.

Take care

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    Hi Marco, thank you very much for your kind words and the warm ”welcome back“!
    No problem. It's great to have you back

Me too, this is a kind of mentality I cannot relate to and the main reason for me to always use my real and full name, ever since I started to communicate via “Bulletin Board Systems” (BBS), as these forums were called back in 1987 when I discovered computer based communication.
    Indeed, and it's why we INSIST that all members, current and new, put their real first name somewhere on their profile, whether that's on the space provided, signature, or as in the case of you or I, forms one's actual username.

On AoS, we're not interested in the 'hiders'. We like people here to be 100% transparent and up front, proudly telling everyone who they are and what they're about - and the more pictures illustrating that, the better!

Actually it was even a bit more. My journey started in the last week of April, and my bike computer tells me that I cycled 672.94 miles (or 1,083 kilometres) during May, until I returned to my home here in Tyrol. But it was not troublesome at all, since riding a bicycle seems to be my second nature.
    Nice one. That's still pretty impressive, although I suppose you did it in a relaxed way and weren't in any race!

I too love these big, wide-open spaces; they are very different from the narrow valleys and the big, sometimes menacing mountains here in Tyrol. Both my father and my mother were born and grew up in flat, wide-open landscapes, and as a child and young dude I spent most of my holidays in areas like these.
    Yup, me too. I enjoy the expansiveness and sense of 'freedom' it gives. The sheer cleanliness of the air is also fantastic in such areas. Can't stand overcrowded and congested or polluted places! Mind you, I don't imagine you'll be any stranger to nice fresh air in Austria... We adored Zell am Zee and Salzburg, when my wife and I were there on our honeymoon.

No, that’s “Gretl-Tant” (“aunt Gretie”, although she was never my aunt), the widow of one of my father’s cousins, living in the neighboring village of my father’s home, a branch of relatives from the side of my father’s mother.
    Ah, I see. She just looks like a typical European 'country-type' old lady, who could be from Germany, Hungary, Austria, Italy or anywhere like that. I think it's a lot to do with how they dress.

That’s the centre of Köszeg (German: Güns), one of Hungary’s most beautiful cities, very close to the Austrian border and once (back in the “Habsburger” days) part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire...
    Well, it looks fantastic and just my type of place! I'll save the details for when we visit Hungary, which is definitely on the cards

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Marco,

that was exactly what I had with my vegetarian pizza.
    That's it. I'm sold! That's my idea of HEAVEN... Sitting in somewhere like that, on a beautiful day, enjoying some superb food, beer or wine and just watching the world go by - awesome!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Werner.

Kevin,

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The handlebar bag is also useful for the important stuff,mas it is quick to remove.
    I fear my bike’s dashboard is already a little bit too crowded for a handlebar bag:

However, the suggestion of a top bag on the back is a good one, I’ll be keeping it in mind when thinking about a way to increase the luggage storage volume of my bike.

Thanks for the quite impressive picture showing your uncle crossing the desert on his bike. Personally I wouldn’t dare to use a vehicle like his for my trips, because there are no lights and fenders. Although these pieces of equipment add to the total weight, I was very happy to have them available when cycling in rainy weather or during the night.

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 09-06-2016 at 06:27.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Kevin.

It would be worth going to a decent bike shop and trying to find a bar bag that fits. You may find one that fits easily beneath the dashboard. The top bag is extremely useful and will remove the burden on your back.

He rarely cycled in the dark, as he has planned his day to make the most of the daylight.
    Mudguards used to get jammed with mud on some of the "roads" he used, so never bothered with them.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Werner.

Marco,

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I enjoy the expansiveness and sense of 'freedom' it gives.
    very, very true. For me nothing matches the feeling of full openness and the ability to breathe freely (both physically and mentally) when being located in a flat landscape. During family reunions Daniela and I were asked if living in a valley surrounded by mountains would not make one weird or at least a little bit “gaga” ;-) I wholeheartedly agreed and felt very much at home, connected to my relatives and ancestors and deeply embedded in my family, because there was no need for trying to explain why I don’t feel that good in the presence of mountains.

Though you might hear laughin’, spinnin’, swingin’ madly across the sun
    It’s not aimed at anyone, it’s just escapin’ on the run
    And but for the sky there are no fences facin’

(Do these lines sound familiar to you, Marco?)

A typical family reunion in Burgenland. Two of my three cousins each have four children of their own.

A view of Baumkirchen, the little village near Innsbruck in Tyrol where I have been trying for the last twelve years to feel at home.

My partner Daniela, the only reason for me to travel back to Tyrol.

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 09-06-2016 at 15:26.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Werner.

Kevin,

He rarely cycled in the dark, as he has planned his day to make the most of the daylight.
    I often like to cycle during the evening and night because of the lower temperatures (my lungs can’t stand the summer heat), the low traffic, the few inexperienced cyclists and the animals one encounters on country lanes. The joy of arriving at my destination during sunrise is rarely matched by anything else.

Mudguards used to get jammed with mud on some of the "roads" he used, so never bothered with them.
    For my style of cycling and bicycles I prefer well-maintained, paved roads, maybe because I used to be a long-distance motorcyclist in earlier years, when many of my companions were still alive …

Top: Gazelle Ultimate C8 HM pedelec (frame size: 25.6 inches); bottom: Gazelle Tour Populair USA (frame size: 26 inches). Both bicycles originate from the Netherlands. Gazelle is the biggest bicycle manufacturer in the Netherlands with a yearly output of 350,000 pieces.

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 09-06-2016 at 15:21.

Marco,

very, very true. For me nothing matches the feeling of full openness and the ability to breathe freely (both physically and mentally) when being located in a flat landscape. During family reunions Daniela and I were asked if living in a valley surrounded by mountains would not make one weird or at least a little bit “gaga” ;-) I wholeheartedly agreed and felt very much at home, connected to my relatives and ancestors and deeply embedded in my family, because there was no need for trying to explain why I don’t feel that good in the presence of mountains.
    Yup, don't get me wrong, I also love mountains; it's more about being 'in touch with nature' and REAL life, which gives me that sense of contentment, as opposed to the unhealthy and claustrophobic atmosphere of living in a large town or city, which for me is fine up to a point, but simply too stressful and 'false' to handle in the long term.

Though you might hear laughin’, spinnin’, swingin’ madly across the sun
    It’s not aimed at anyone, it’s just escapin’ on the run
    And but for the sky there are no fences facin’

(Do these lines sound familiar to you, Marco?)
    Indeed. It's Mr Tambourine Man, by Bob Dylan. I know where you're coming from

A typical family reunion in Burgenland. Two of my three cousins each have four children of their own.
    Superb! That looks just like a typical family gathering for us in Italy or Germany, or even here in North Wales, when some of us, including friends, get together for Sunday lunch. Lots of nice food and wine! Eating outside together like that, in a such a pleasant space, is definitely a European thing, and something which Brits don't seem to do to the same degree.

A view of Baumkirchen, the little village near Innsbruck in Tyrol where I have been trying for the last twelve years to feel at home.
    In a word, STUNNING! That scene looks so typically Austrian, although we were there in December, so the landscape was just a little different!

My partner Daniela, the only reason for me to travel back to Tyrol.
    And I'm sure a very worthy one. She looks like a nice lady - nice warm smile

Marco.
    Main System

Kevin,

I often like to cycle during the evening and night because of the lower temperatures (my lungs can’t stand the summer heat), the low traffic, the few inexperienced cyclists and the animals one encounters on country lanes. The joy of arriving at my destination during sunrise is rarely matched by anything else.

For my style of cycling and bicycles I prefer well-maintained, paved roads, maybe because I used to be a long-distance motorcyclist in earlier years, when many of my companions were still alive …

Top: Gazelle Ultimate C8 HM pedelec (frame size: 25.6 inches); bottom: Gazelle Tour Populair USA (frame size: 26 inches). Both bicycles originate from the Netherlands. Gazelle is the biggest bicycle manufacturer in the Netherlands with a yearly output of 350,000 pieces.
    Stylish bikes, Werner. My wife has one of these (a Pashley Princess), including the little shopping basket, lol:

...which she uses to go to work in the summer, and pick up some 'bits' for tea on the way home! Fortunately, she works locally; only a 10-min cycle from where we live

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Werner.

Marco,

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    the unhealthy and claustrophobic atmosphere of living in a large town or city, which for me is fine up to a point, but simply too stressful and 'false' to handle in the long term.
    I can comprehend and understand this very well. During my last stay in Vienna (May 8th to 10th this year) I realized that I don’t want to live anymore in a large town or big city, regardless if surrounded by mountains or in a flat landscape. Maybe this is because I got older or there are too many people in a confined space, but I don’t feel good anymore in crowded areas.

Although I have been doing this since the age of eight years without any accident, cycling in the city isn’t fun or rational anymore for me. There are too many people, and most of them seem to be ruthless, silly and brainless egoists. Taking a ride with the subway or walking also is not a big pleasure anymore because of the crowds of iZombies who pass with bowed heads, don’t take notice of the reality surrounding them and look terribly surprised if you are suddenly standing in front of them.

Old man yelling at a cloud, or “In earlier times, even the future was better” (Karl Valentin) ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast