+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker cable length

I'm ChrisB.

Yes, sorry, I was making a general comment about how we work rather than presuming to know all about the workings of your brain!!

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Yes, sorry, I was making a general comment about how we work rather than presuming to know all about the workings of your brain!!

(I'm too old for this sh!t (c) Roger Murtaugh)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Odd lengths of, say 3 and 5m, or 7 and 9m won't make any noticable difference IMO, as long as the cable is a decent gauge. I used 7 and 9m runs in the past, both at home and at work and my current lengths are around 6 and 4m.....

I'd possibly comment that transformer coupled valve amps need shorter lengths of chunky wire with modern speakers, which are 4 to 6 Ohm nominal, although my Crofted Quads coped with hifi dave's very lengthy runs in his dem room (hint - Glenns Series 7 amp coped even better )
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

In my experience I have never noticed a difference going from short to long cables, or running two different lengths, although as I am running very reasonable Mark Grant cable I said sod the expense and bought 14m for two 7m cables, though one only needs to be 3m - here's a point to consider - coiling the extra 4m (or whatever) would potentially be worse than having a straight run of shorter cable. Discuss! (OK, don't bother!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

I'd possibly comment that transformer coupled valve amps need shorter lengths of chunky wire with modern speakers, which are 4 to 6 Ohm nominal, although my Crofted Quads coped with hifi dave's very lengthy runs in his dem room (hint - Glenns Series 7 amp coped even better )
    Yes, especially if SE zero feedback which generally have poor damping factor to start with...adding extra cable length can cause some interesting problems in the bass.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Yes, especially if SE zero feedback which generally have poor damping factor to start with...adding extra cable length can cause some interesting problems in the bass.
    quite agree!
    A...

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Yep... experienced that. Going from 10m to less than 2m made a world of difference. But that in itself caused further problems.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12