+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD160 B MkII

I'm Shaun.

Mark, the white acrylic platter is for photography purposes only. It is crap...!

Phil, there is no way that plinth is for aesthetics only. After fitting it, the sound was transformed for the better to my ears. The new level of detail was the main difference. I can clearly hear double tracked vocals now on albums where I have never heard it before. The bottom end is much more solid and well defined. A very worthy upgrade but if you do it, watch out for those corner mounting screws, they can be a bugger to tighten up. Just make sure they are rock solid.

I'm Deleted.

It does look good in the picture .
    Account Deleted

I'm Andr'e.

I use an 5mm Acrylic platter but it tends to sound a tad Bass thick! ill probably put on an old vintage rubber mat cos being 5mm i can't use my Michell Record clamp.

I'm Shaun.

I'd like to respond to Marco and his comment on valves if I may; I honestly prefer valves over trannies any day, any place but, I have to face facts. I do not always listen to Acoustic Alchemy although they are a favourite, I tend to listen mainly to electronic music and a bit of EDM. Now I may be wrong but my preference for that 300B SE sound just isn't gonna cut it. I love big, gutsy bass slam and a really revealing midrange one of which I would get with valves but at what cost...? The very limit of what I would spend on valves would be £3k and that would have to supply a pre also. It goes without saying of course that they would also have to be monoblocks for their staggering stereo effect which is paramount for me.

Regarding a valve phono stage; I had one six months ago and sold it. I was using a Croft Micro 25 Basic as a line phono stage only and to be pretty blunt, it was crap. Now the Micro 25 R maybe a universe apart from what I had but so it bloody should be at £1,400. In fact, thinking about it, a Croft Micro 25R with Series 7 monoblocks would be £2,800 but then of course, it is not valves, is it...?

Valve amplification for me just has way too many shortcomings. If I could get an all valve phono stage for less than a grand I would consider it. I think though that this would be a bit unreal.

I'm Shaun.

You know this may be really bloody boring but so far, I haven't found anything to beat the original Thorens mat.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    You know this may be really bloody boring but so far, I haven't found anything to beat the original Thorens mat.
    I can believe it. i find Vintage Rubber mats suit me best. I found one in the cupboard from an old 70's Trio TT. sounds more like it tbh...

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    Hi Shaun,

That is a lovely evening looking Thorens! I have a mk1 that I am considering upgrading and I am interested to know if you feel that the hardwood plinth and acrylic platter mat added anything sonically or if it was purely aesthetics? Perhaps I would be better off spending my pennies on a SME arm instead?

Phil

I would agree with Shaun with regard to the plinth upgrade Phil. I did it on my Mk1 with really pleasing results. I much tighter sound overall. I still have the stock arm in mine. So further improvements could be made in that direction no doubt. Have tried different mats on it including acrylic but have so far failed to hear much difference. Just my subjective take on it mind.

Cheers

Loz

I'm Grant.

I found the 2 piece rubber/cork mix mat was best on mine followed by a funk one
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andr'e.

I had the latter to but a certain person binding on i lobbed it in the bin.
    Last edited by Virtual-Symmetry; 30-05-2016 at 14:49. Reason: spelling mistake

I'm Grant.

Sold both plus the tt still got a cork one with the raised circles on. It hasca couple of holes accidentally made in it and has the big centre for the thorens centre plate.. Anyone wants to try it there welcome for post cost
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast