+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 117 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Kai.

Andrew, regarding the idler wheel - the rubber compound used will change the spectrum of the energy that gets through the point of contact. Even if the Norbert wheel had identical compound to the original, it would be 40+ years younger and thus different The Norbert wheel is significantly heavier as well. I have one and I think it's a good wheel, based on the example I have of the original 5-hole metal idler, I wouldn't say it's really better or worse - just slighty different. I did record a noise spectrum of what gets through at one point, and as far as I recall there wasn't significant differences in noise levels, but the spectrum was slightly different. For actual music, I can't say I noticed a difference between the two, so I'm using the new one because I feel more confident in it especially after having to straighten a slight bend in my original wheel. Since your Lenco has gotten way more attention than mine, and probably has lower noise levels all around, I'm really interested in hearing your impressions on the different wheels.

I'm currently using 2 LPs + a mat made of cork/rubber compound for "mat". 2 LPs mainly because I needed the added height for VTA. When I first put an LP under the cork/rubber mat (again, for VTA purposes) I was very surprised to hear noticeably better SQ - slightly lower noise floor and just more clarity overall. Haven't since done any trials or changes, other than adding the second LP, which didn't affect SQ at least in a way that was readily apparent. So I'm not really surprised a two mat approach (or 3? lol) works well with the Lenco.

Btw. what are you using for lubrication in the main bearing and did you do any trials with that? Just asking because instead of getting a new bearing (like I probably should) I was wondering if changing to heavier oil or even grease would do favors to my knackered bearing - I had to polish the shaft myself using hand tools (it was badly oxidized), so tolerances can't be anything like new. After the polishing and replacing the bottom plate it does sound just fine though... as far as I can tell. Original Lenco bearings could be had for peanuts but haven't pulled the trigger on one, because I figure at the point I feel like I need to get the bearing sorted, I might as well get something that is an upgrade on the original.

I'm Andrew.

Kai, i would like to discuss this with you further, can you please send me a PM with your email address.

Thanks

A

Ps I will answer your questions tonight after work when I have a little more time.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Andrew, regarding the idler wheel - the rubber compound used will change the spectrum of the energy that gets through the point of contact. Even if the Norbert wheel had identical compound to the original, it would be 40+ years younger and thus different The Norbert wheel is significantly heavier as well. I have one and I think it's a good wheel, based on the example I have of the original 5-hole metal idler, I wouldn't say it's really better or worse - just slighty different. I did record a noise spectrum of what gets through at one point, and as far as I recall there wasn't significant differences in noise levels, but the spectrum was slightly different. For actual music, I can't say I noticed a difference between the two, so I'm using the new one because I feel more confident in it especially after having to straighten a slight bend in my original wheel. Since your Lenco has gotten way more attention than mine, and probably has lower noise levels all around, I'm really interested in hearing your impressions on the different wheels.

I'm currently using 2 LPs + a mat made of cork/rubber compound for "mat". 2 LPs mainly because I needed the added height for VTA. When I first put an LP under the cork/rubber mat (again, for VTA purposes) I was very surprised to hear noticeably better SQ - slightly lower noise floor and just more clarity overall. Haven't since done any trials or changes, other than adding the second LP, which didn't affect SQ at least in a way that was readily apparent. So I'm not really surprised a two mat approach (or 3? lol) works well with the Lenco.

Btw. what are you using for lubrication in the main bearing and did you do any trials with that? Just asking because instead of getting a new bearing (like I probably should) I was wondering if changing to heavier oil or even grease would do favors to my knackered bearing - I had to polish the shaft myself using hand tools (it was badly oxidized), so tolerances can't be anything like new. After the polishing and replacing the bottom plate it does sound just fine though... as far as I can tell. Original Lenco bearings could be had for peanuts but haven't pulled the trigger on one, because I figure at the point I feel like I need to get the bearing sorted, I might as well get something that is an upgrade on the original.
    Kai, thanks once again for a very informative post. It's nice to hear that my findings are similar to yours, in fact an awful lot of what you've posted mirrors my own current findings. I now have another idler wheel ordered, so that is three to try!!! You make some very interesting and logical comments about idler wheels approaching 40 years of age. I would love to hear how you managed to measure a spectrum decay through the deck, perhaps you could teach me? I have heard many times that using old LP's can be very effective in making a platter mat. I haven't tried any lubricants just the one supplied with the Jolyon bearing that I'm using. That's a whole new area of experimentation
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

I tried quite a few lubricants in my GL75 beating and settled on fully synthetic motor oil .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I tried quite a few lubricants in my GL75 beating and settled on fully synthetic motor oil .
    Your grease experiment worked really well. TBH oil is pretty low on my list of things to do with the deck altough I've not ruled it out.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Your grease experiment worked really well. TBH oil is pretty low on my list of things to do with the deck altough I've not ruled it out.
    I was concerned that the grease was a bit too thick Andy . The bearing and platter spun longer with the motor oil and to my ears was every bit as quiet . As ever though YMMV .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Latest modification!

SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Nice . Where did you get that one from Andy ?
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Chap over on LH I think this might have been a prototype but it's carbon fibre some I'm hoping the stiffness will mitigate vibration getting into the platter.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Chap over on LH I think this might have been a prototype but it's carbon fibre some I'm hoping the stiffness will mitigate vibration getting into the platter.
    Yes that will help Andy . Problem is it's difficult to ascertain the quality of the rubber and its fitness for purpose , however I'm pretty sure that new will help enormously . I look forward to your findings on this mate . The idler wheel is a key component of the GL75.
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread