+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 117 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Reference Lenco Pt XXXXV - Tyre Kickin', or waiting for your fettled tonearm.

The old Alphason has been gone two weeks this coming Friday so I decided to finish a few little jobs. I managed to get my old Celestion Ditton 15's reworked and then I decided to take a little time to further mod the '75. Tonights pictures show you all what I've been upto. The first picture shows the new silver umbilical power lead which goes from the Nigels Speed Controller to the Lenco's motor. The old power cable is now sitting in my spare cable box in the attic. The final cable is the old Lenco switch. Originally I wanted rid of this but after speaker to a few people it would seem prudent to leave it in place. So I'll be shortening the cable which should smarten up the underside of the '75.

DSCN2987.jpg

A quick picture showing the back of the deck and the speed controller.

DSCN2988.jpg

Now this pictures demonstrates an extremely expensive component from China, the ferrite coil! I picked up a pack of 10 for £2.79 delivered from China!!! The Lenco now has 4 in situ, two which sit under the platter and hopefully prevent any crap getting into the Lenco motor and a couple sit just before the Nigels Speed Controller. It will be difficult to assess if they help but at less than £1 for 4 it can't hurt! I've added them because I noticed quite a difference when I employed them on my Technics 1210 and associated kit.

DSCN2989.jpg

More attention to coupling and dampening. I've replaced the 4 wing nuts which I used at the end of the top plate mounting rods with 4 simple M4 nuts. I found that I was getting more of the top plate to couple with the plinth when using thse and especially when they were tightened with the molegrips. The plinths feet are now sitting 100% flush to the plinth whilst previously one the feet didn't quite make it, so, coupling of the plinth to the IKEA chopping board should be improved. The dynamat was found lurking at the bottom of my spare cable box so I'm going to see where it can be used to dampen vibration. I'll probably end up putting this in discrete areas around the motor and maybe the bearing. We shall see, be assured I'll post some pictures.

DSCN2990.jpg

I'll be paying more attention to the coupling of the tonearm. I dont really want to undo the deck again for some time. I'd like to listen to some vinyl at some stage! So we still have a little way to go before we are fully finished. I may even decided at some point to de-couple the motor. I'm in the process of looking at the various solutions that have been proposed over the years. I have my spare motor and top plate out on in workshop and when I get a little time shall start experimenting with solutions.

I've enjoyed putting tonights update together.

Well, as ever please stay tuned but until then.....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Nigel.

That's a Barbara Thompson lp in the background I believe
    Fine composer and saxophonist.Saw her with Colosseum in their second to last gig, superb band and Barbara
    was great although struggling with a very debilitating illness.You have good taste!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    That's a Barbara Thompson lp in the background I believe
    Fine composer and saxophonist.Saw her with Colosseum in their second to last gig, superb band and Barbara
    was great although struggling with a very debilitating illness.You have good taste!
    Nigel

Yep, it's her ok. I first heard her when she played on Julian Lloyd Webbers Variations album and, yes, I also own the Colosseum stuff as well. I think she's a dame now, well deserved. The album you spotted was a £1.50 charity shop find and it's extremely well recorded. I'd recommend it to you if you don't already own it.

Andy
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Nigel.

Hi Andy, yes I do have that album and all of her others too, they are all very good.
    I do like jazz/Rock. The gig I saw was at the Robin 2 Bilston. Chris Farlowe's vocals were amazing for a guy in his 70's.

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Lenco Reference Pt XXXXVI - More tyre' kickin, or further experimentation with vibration supression.

The Lenco has been silent now for several weeks. I have got used to these long periods of waiting whilst and have come to learn that its part and parcel of doing old decks up. The tonearm has been away for two weeks and is number 11 in a stack of jobs waiting over at AO. So I started to think of ways the deck could be tweaked and then I realised that I'd not actually done much in the way of vibration supression for the actual motor itself, I've been reliant of the mounting springs to do the majority of the work. Now I'm not a person to waste materials and I managed to find some Dynamat from my Thorens TD160 project. I'm now in the process of custom cutting pieces of dynamat to be applied externally and wherever possible internally. I've spent so much time working on trying to supress vibration getting to the platter and cartridge that I didn't address the causative factor, the bloody motor . There is probably going to be several hours work here before everything is covered on the motor. I also get to create a little space in my cable spares box. I've included a little picture of tonights work. One hour and 12 individual pieces cut. This little project on the motor should pass another few days whilst waiting for the tonearm. Tomorrow I need to find some more 1-2mm sorbothane at work to continue with further experiments and tweeks, but thats for another update.

DSCN2991.jpg

As always stay tuned...................
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Mike.

Damned Andy, tenacious doesn't nearly describe your efforts!

I'm Brian.

So the motor is in bits again Andy No stone unturned mate . TBH I have a feeling that this may yield good results , although there's only one way to find out methinks .
    And there was me thinking that you were coming to the end of the road
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Damned Andy, tenacious doesn't nearly describe your efforts!
    Well, I do try!!

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    So the motor is in bits again Andy No stone unturned mate . TBH I have a feeling that this may yield good results , although there's only one way to find out methinks .
    And there was me thinking that you were coming to the end of the road
    Not quite! The motor is a spare and I've been using it as a template to cut all the various parts. My journey is very nearly ended, HONEST!!! I'm just passing time until the tonearm arrives, it will have been gone for three weeks this Friday. So, I'm just super fine tuning stuff whilst the arms off and I have access under the hood. I've a few bits and bobs to do and then it's a few weeks of vinyl replay to assess all the work that's been done.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Think you're right about the motor being a major source of vibration though Andy .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Think you're right about the motor being a major source of vibration though Andy .
    hows the new system doing brian?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 117 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast