+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Brian.

That's one of my concerns James , the GL75 doesn't come with a weight does it ? Could be damaging the bearing in some way or another .

I find when I use the clamp that everything does indeed '' tighten '' up . Almost like a digital type of sound which I do like , but I've been trying to get a different type of '' analogue'' sound with the turntable .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

I think weights need to be reasonably substantial Brian and it would concern me how this would affect the bearing on the Lenco which is a bit fragile compared to some modern bearings out there. Also the bearing interface with the top plate is not that substantial and may result in some flexing although that bearing collar mount you have may have stiffened this bit?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

I'm more concerned about the excessive wear on the thrust pad that the extra weight might cause .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

Ah yes forgot about that! Without going back through the whole post had Andy changed his bearing and spindle ?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Brian.

Yes , Andy now has the heavier Jolyon bearing http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=9739.0
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I'm more concerned about the excessive wear on the thrust pad that the extra weight might cause .
    Some of the guys on Lenco Heaven have doubled up the platters using a standard bearing and reported no extra wear after considerable time so I doubt whether a record weight would damage your thrust pad. Most pads I've seen (quite a few) have a dimple in them anyway and an old trick is to flip the pad over if you're concerned about the dimple.

Cheers, Ian

I'm Brian.

Ah... I forgot about that Ian . You're probably right
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    . I have noticed when you add weight you usually get a better defined bass to the sound. Curious to know what benefits if any you have found using a weight?

Not sure how much weight the bearing on the Lenco will take but probably a reasonable amount?
    Yep bass seems taughter alongside black backgrounds. The lenco can take ALOT of weight. I have x2 stacked platters and a 1.2kg weight, it spins around very nicely makes a very very nice sound. Don't be fooled even though the little Lenco bearing looks quite piddly compared to others on the market it actually punches well above it's weight. It will outperform or equal the performance of any after market bearing with some very careful mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think weights need to be reasonably substantial Brian and it would concern me how this would affect the bearing on the Lenco which is a bit fragile compared to some modern bearings out there. Also the bearing interface with the top plate is not that substantial and may result in some flexing although that bearing collar mount you have may have stiffened this bit?
    I'm going to disagree here Jim. I ran the original Lenco bearing for 6-8 months with stacked platters and the weight and saw no deterioration of the bearings function. I do agree with you that it looks puny compared to some bearings out there. The mounting of the bearing onto the top plate is pretty flimsy and does indeed benefit from a large mounting collar. I think the Jollyon mounting collar is probably the best and most rigid way of coupling the bearing to the top plate.

Brian, thrust pads cost pennies and can be easily replaced. We can both probably service and strip the original bearing down in 10 minutes flat!! I wouldn't worry about thrust pad usage.

Yes , Andy now has the heavier Jolyon bearing http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=9739.0
    Yep, big improvement over the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Some of the guys on Lenco Heaven have doubled up the platters using a standard bearing and reported no extra wear after considerable time so I doubt whether a record weight would damage your thrust pad. Most pads I've seen (quite a few) have a dimple in them anyway and an old trick is to flip the pad over if you're concerned about the dimple.

Cheers, Ian
    I mirror your findings Ian except the dimple in thrust pad is supposed to be there and your not supposed to turn it over, this buggers up the tracking of the bearing.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Good to hear how much the Lenco bearing can take, I may well buy a very nice heavy VPI weight so I can use on both the Lenco and VPI Scout 1.1.

I'm Andrew.

Buggering about with tonearms..... Boring and frustrating.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast