+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Reference Lenco PT XXIII - Brace yourself Captain Mannering...!!!

Well I decided to go down the path of rigidity for the bearing and platter combination with the Reference Lenco build. I've been banging on for some time now with regards adding a brace to the base of the Jolyon bearing to stiffen the bearing to the plinth and additionally add another method of pulling the top plate down even further onto the plinth. The solution was incredibly simple and included a simple bracket I found sitting in my tool box, a 8mm drill bit, a few nut, bolts, washers and a couple of wood screws! The bracket needed modding slightly to accept the M8 bolt thread from the base of the bearing. I took the oppotunity to add some nuts and washers to the thread and brace whenever possible to maximise rigidity. I'm now running out of mods to do to the Lenco which is a nice place to be in really as I can now get to enjoy the music. The motor could be decoupled I suppose but it's silent and works extremely well I should probably fill the springs with foam to dampen then even further, maybe that could be next weeks job, hunt for some foam! Next year will be a big turning point in the development of the Lenco in that a new plinth is being designed to accept two completely decoupled tonearm pods meaning I can play around with tonearm and cartridge setup's without worrying about resonance getting into the tonearm or cartridge from the plinth. Additionally the new plinth will be larger with more mass and more importantly the new resin fillled plinth will be utilised. And I think that's about as far as I can push this Lenco. I could do silly things like go down the route of a PTP, add the post mod, dampen down the idler arm, etc but some of these mods really are bunk'um and actually help to destroy your lenco. The other big choice next year is MM or MC? Well I have a quick, dirty solution, why not do both if I'm having a two tonearm plinth .

So just a few shots to show you all what I've been waffling on about. First shot shows the base of the bearing a a M8 thread will several nuts already tightened and adding tension to the base of the bearing.

DSCN2896.jpgDSCN2897.jpg

Finally the bracket I found in my tool box, probably available from B&Q for a couple of quid, drilled and bolted into place with additional washer and another nut on the base trying to add additional tension and rigidigty. There is probably a better way to do this but the bearing feels solid with ZERO motion.

DSCN2898.jpg

Has it made any difference? Well yes I think it has. The soundstage seems a little more cohesive and I'm getting more micro detail. Low level listening is very detailed indeed and a pleasure to listen to vinyl. Roll on the new year for the new JICO neoSAS stylus!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Aha! I see you've been busy mate . Nice work again , pretty ingenious I would say

I should be able to apply this solution to the stock GL75 when I get the Jolyon bearing .

I found that every time I've applied a modification to mine that it changed the SQ , subtly but audibly . These were usually small improvements in focus and micro - detail . All worthwhile IMO .

Glad your work is paying dividends Andy but sorry that this great thread is coming to an end .

Enjoy mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Keith.

It has been a good read following your progress Andy. Nicely done.

Hopefully in the New Year I will be making a similar journey with my L75.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Aha! I see you've been busy mate . Nice work again , pretty ingenious I would say

I should be able to apply this solution to the stock GL75 when I get the Jolyon bearing .

I found that every time I've applied a modification to mine that it changed the SQ , subtly but audibly . These were usually small improvements in focus and micro - detail . All worthwhile IMO .

Glad your work is paying dividends Andy but sorry that this great thread is coming to an end .

Enjoy mate
    Brian, I think that you will see big improvements with a 12mm baltic birch plywood baseboard. Additionally you can always bolt the bearing to the base board which is extremely easy to do. It's just a matter of cutting down some M8 thread to the relevant length, buying a couple of M8 nuts and washers, drilling 8mm hole into the base
    board and job done! I think you could probably do the whole thing for less than £15. The bearing is more expensive though!!! Did you change your tonearm wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Marra View Post
    It has been a good read following your progress Andy. Nicely done.

Hopefully in the New Year I will be making a similar journey with my L75.
    Thanks Keith I hope you got something from it. I'm not done yet and should be updating through next year as the new mods arise. So, I'm not signing off just yet.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Cheers Andy . I'll be gong to buy the wood tomorrow and I have the perfect template

The whole thing is bowed and so will be replaced with a nice bit of 12mm plywood .

If you mean the cable from the turntable to the phono stage yes I did mate .
    Last edited by brian2957; 27-12-2016 at 19:15.
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Nice photo, yep that looks like it could do with something more substantial. Just a thought, why not buy 4 little corner brackets and add one to each of the corners to stiffen up the base a little more. That's a little trick I used and have seen discussed on a few sites. Glad to hear you replaced the tonearm cable I was just thinking of other things you could do whilst keeping your beast original. How's the sibilance doing, has it driven you mad yet setting up the cart and experimenting? I remember when I did my 1210 I felt like (even though I've never done them).
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Yup might give the brackets a go Andy , shouldn't be too difficult .

Firstly , I'll get the base sorted .

TBH I'm using the AT95e at the moment and I'm really enjoying it .

I had a problem with the M55e . Mine was in three bits . The inner plastic casing , then a rectangular metal casing which the inner casing fits into , then the brown plastic casing with the holes for the headshell bolts . Basically the thing was falling to pieces , so I'm waiting for the wooden body to arrive before making a decision on how to proceed .

I struggled to get rid of the sibilance with the M55e , maybe because it all needs to be fixed together again properly . It has all but gone with the AT95e . We'll see when the wooden body arrives .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Can you post some pics of the Shure cartridge to see what it now looks like?

PS Glad to here your experimenting with new stuff and the sibilance has gone.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Andy I glued the inner piece back into the outer metal casing . This is what I have now after I pushed the inner cartridge back into the metal rectangular casing , after I cleaned everything up first .

TBH , looking at the state of it I think this has happened before and the person who sold it to me has dubbed things up in order to get rid .

Regards
    Brian

I'm Brian.

Well , I fitted the new 12mm ply baseboard today . Unfortunately this produced a problem . The motor was touching the base . God these little motors produce some amount of vibration . I had to fit 2 batons to lift the turntable away from the base . Once this was done I was rewarded with improvements in all areas and I'm well pleased . I have to say that you were right Andy , the flimsy baseboard was robbing the GL75 of some of its potential . Great upgrade
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast