+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

One possible issue, you still have the more flexible deck plate. I serviced a G99 a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how much more 'solid' it's build was.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    One possible issue, you still have the more flexible deck plate. I serviced a G99 a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how much more 'solid' it's build was.
    The bearing clamp will mitigate some of the flexibility in the deck plate, but I've already taken care of the flexibility issue by preparing a second top plate that is full is marine resin. Believe me there is NO flex in that top plate. The resin adds an additional 1lb in weight to the top plate and massively improves the contact surface area. Trust me I've given lots of thought to this build. Just out of interest, Dave, what problems do you think may arise from the additional flexibity in the '75 top plate? I'm always interested to hear theories, ideas etc I might be able to do a little more tweaking.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Bearing and clamp first, I have a denon 103m mounted on the tonearm so I want to give that a listen first. It looks like I might have to do some fiddling around with the Shure in that I might have to remove the body, I could be wrong but I'm at work at the moment so I'll know when I get back this afternoon.
    OK Andy . I got the impression that the wooden body just fitted over the original . I'm not sure that I'm too keen on taking the cartridge to bits .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    OK Andy . I got the impression that the wooden body just fitted over the original . I'm not sure that I'm too keen on taking the cartridge to bits .
    Lets wait and see it might not be the case.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Yep , it would make things a little simpler if it fits over the original body . Don't know which would be best for SQ though .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Kevin.

I was under the impression that you had to separate two plastic parts of the cartridge.
    The bit that has the mounting grooves on, and the part containing the generator.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

I think that the theory is similar to this - http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=5044.0
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andrew.

Nice find Kevin, looks like I'm taking some scalpal blades home tonight then. I've never done surgery on a cartridge body before.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Reference Lenco Pt XX - Putting the jigsaw back together again.

OK, so I turned upto work this morning and found that I had a nice package waiting for me containing my new bearing and it's matching base plate. I also had the pleasure to find a new Snake wood body for my Shure M55E cartridge and in second package hiding behind the first. The new bearing is quite meaty and pretty hefty when compared to it's original older brother the lathe work on this product is second to none. It just feels right. The same can be said for the matching base bearing base plate. Fitting both the base plate and the new bearing will take ~5 minutes and is an extremely easy process. It is a tight fight and a little wiggling around has to be done before things are back in place but once fitted it looks extremely pleasing to the eye. The Lenco has been inactive for quite some time and in that period various mods and upgrades have been installed and all have been documented over the last few updates. The main differences are that I have x3 platter rings on the second platter, I have a denon 103M installed, and the new bearing and base plate. So, it's going to be impossible to see how each little tweak has impacted the '75 so I think It's probably better to describe the whole thing as a "package" when I write up my findings in the future. The Lenco isn't without it's problems at the moment. It did have ground loop hum which I've solved but I think I've knocked a suspension spring out of place as the motor is now vibrating and making some noise whilst previously it was silent. The deck still needs some tweaking and TBH has only been roughly setup. I just wanted to get the thing playing . Spinning the double platter on the new bearing has been quite fun the platter now takes ages to stop and just seems to rotate forever.

The bearing and base plate.

DSCN2874.jpg

See what i mean about a tight fight.

DSCN2876.jpg

My favourite MM cart, my old M55E, this has been through some mods over the last year and started off as a complete punt from eBay for £13! Here it is pimped in a snakewood wooden body. Remove the old plastic body is a piece of cake and took exactly 60 seconds. I was shocked to see that the main body of the Shure cartridge is very thinly glued into the old plastic body and TBH probably rattles around like a silly bugger. Just out of interest it would be extremely easy to rebody the shure in the old plastic body if needed. Fitting the cartridge into the new wooden body is a piece of cake, just push it in. It's an extremely tight fit and I honestly think nothing else needs to be done with regards securing the cart in place. My own concern is the mounting bolts. You'll need some extremely thin mounting bolts to mount this onto a headshell. I think I might just have to widen the mounting holes by an extra mm or so. I'll be trying this tomorrow. Personally I can't wait.

DSCN2883.jpgDSCN2884.jpg

So the '75 is back together and now I'm just going to enjoy it over the holiday, learn it's sonic characteristics. I'll fine tune the deck's setup and get rid of the motor vibration. So far it's sounds better than it ever has. Now I just have to find a piece of thick steel to further stiffen the bearing connection to the top plate, but that's another mod for another day.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast