+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Brian.

Thanks Andy , I'll be looking further into this .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    I'd always wanted to take the Lenco when I had mine down the PTP plate/ slate plinth route.
    PTp does have its benefits and maximally minimises the lenco. I've never been sold on the slate plinth thing. Slate does have a good reputation amongst many hifi users but I prefer to understand why a material has an effect and with wood we have some history of this phenomena with instrument makers utilising specific woods for specific instruments and applications. Slate is a unique entity in that it's devised from local sediments meaning it'll all sound different at least with wood you have some uniformity in the sound it produces and more importantly how it might sound. My 2017 adventures with the Lenco are probably going to be a very heavy mass CLD designed plinth with several woods, probably cherry and English oak. I need to do some research in instrument making and see how they proceed.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Part XVII - Stiffness or is that a Lenco or are you please to see me?

More research into Lenco building and that magical phrase "consensus of opinion" has cropped up with regards coupling or decoupling. It seems that Lenco's like to be stiff and that suits me fine because I'm getting a little lazy with modding the Lenco and Xmas is just around the corner. I want to listen to the fruits of my labours rather than beavering away in a freezing garage over winter. It looks like I'm going to stiffen the Lenco even further. So with the top plate still waiting to be filled with Marine Resin, I decided to order the bearing mount for the top plate which should couple the bearing very nicely to the top plate. I'll also be cross bracing the plinth from the underside and then mounting the bearing to the cross brace which should add for a very rigid bearing and should additionally create another mounting "bolt" if you like for pulling the top plate down onto the plinth thus making for a much stiffer and couple top plate.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

I'll probable be filling the top plate with resin as per your thoughts Andy . However , I may apply layers of fibreglass with the resin , we'll see .

I thought the bearing mount for the top plate came with the Jolyon bearing . TBH it did make a difference to mt GL75 and was money well spent .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I'll probable be filling the top plate with resin as per your thoughts Andy . However , I may apply layers of fibreglass with the resin , we'll see .

I thought the bearing mount for the top plate came with the Jolyon bearing . TBH it did make a difference to mt GL75 and was money well spent .
    I'd hang fire with pouring any resin in there yet I think I might have a better product than the suggested materials in my link. I've been speaking to some of the guys over on LH and there appears to be better products available that are cheaper, better quality and easier to use. I have now ordered the bearing mount and hopefully should get the mount and the bearing middle next week.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

OK mate , look forward to your findings with this new material .

Still not got the bearing ?
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Should be finished on Sunday. Hopefully arrives Tuesday/Wednesday.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

OK mate , I'll keep my eyes peeled
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Tonight Update - Pt XVIII - Adding top plate stiffness.

The project has been slowly boiling away in the background whilst I've been waiting for the new bearing and top plate clamp. My main area of activity has been to prepare a new top plate with additional rigidity and mass. This meant that I needed to fill in every hole in the new top plate and then sand everything down ready for eventual primer and respraying. It's been a labour intensive procedure and it's still not perfect. The top plate still needs a little work and will need to be sanded down with finer grit paper so that I can produce a nice finish. The underside of the top plate is a mess. I'm not worried about the periphery as that's going to be filled with marine resin. The circular "pan" needs tidying up and I'll eventually sand it all flat. I'm not that bothered about the underside but I may prime and spray depending upon how the mood takes me. This new top plate has been modded so that the tonearm is decoupled from the top plate and can either be coupled directly to any new plinth or added to a seperate arm pod. All none-essential holes have been filled up and the speed selection slider area has been filled in apart from the 33rpm section, this will eventually just have the small metal selector super glued to the top plate, thus getting rid of another screw and better coupling the components to the top plate. Time for some pix.

So, this is the old top plate as it now stands, a complete swiss cheese.

DSCN2853.jpg

This is the new top plate for the "Reference" Lenco. Everything is filled in apart from bare essentials. Still needs lots of work.

DSCN2854.jpg

The underside looks like a dog's dinner. Next job is to pour marine resin into the periphery. The circular "pan" with get smartened up as a necessity to make sure the various slider fit and work properly.

DSCN2855.jpg

Next step is the marine resin. Tomorrow night is probably going to be a little more sanding and tidying up the "pan". As always
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Just a quick note tonight. I've been messing around with the top plate and managed to get quite a fair old bit done. The marine resin has arrived and looks like a load of fun. I'm probably going to do some pouring tomorrow, just need a measuring jar. It'll be quite interesting to find out how much additional mass the resin adds to the original top plate. Still no bearing or clamp .
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread