+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    I know full well you cannot because they will not come off without creasing them
    Got my last one off without creasing it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andr'e.

I had a total of three attempted purchases of this unit, everyone has has signs of someone trying to remove that aluminium strip.

I'm Ralph.

Andre it's a Lenco, they aren't worth a carrot. People buy them because they're cheap. They can have a bit of fun modding them and chasing the dream.
    Ralph.

I'm Andr'e.

Yep down as one of the worse things i ever bought.

I'm Geoff.

I've always got on rather well with Lencos. The arm has it's limitations, but is OK with medium compliance MMs. However, the TT section on the heavy platter models is very good and properly set up will give most good TTs more than just a run for their money.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ralph.

I absolutely agree and my daily driver atm is a Leak Lenco GL75, unmodified expect the tonearm which has been worked on. I'm very happy with it but it would need a lot of work to make it excel. I won't be doing that because it's too nice to spoil so unfortunately it'll never perform as well as I know it could.
    Ralph.

I'm Andrew.

I had great disdain for the Lenco's for a a very long time until I bought this one. The chasis is on an equal weight to a 301, the tonearm mechanism is a work of art altough the thought behind vibration supression into the tonearm wire and vibration from the motor into the tonearm itself when attached to the TT chasis could have been better designed. The platter is quite heavy, not upto 301 standards but still it's ok. The whole things is well worth the money if you like to play and mod TT's. The more I work on this Lenco the more I'm getting to appreciate the brand. I'd bet the 88's and 99's would give a 301/401 a serious run for its money, I think Lenco must have seen some design faults and modified TT design accordingly (or just ripped off Garrard's design ).
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    I had a total of three attempted purchases of this unit, everyone has has signs of someone trying to remove that aluminium strip.
    Mine didn't. Removing the aluminium strip is extremely simple, it's reliant on a heat gun and some very very thin high tensile wire. The job takes <5 minutes and the strip can be fitted back on again with ease, strip old adhesive of the back with solvent, allow to dry and then simple apply decent quality double contact adhesive or high quality super strength double sided tape. What's so hard about that?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I'd bet the 88's and 99's would give a 301/401 a serious run for its money.
    They do. I've owned the 88 & 99 & 301 & 401. The Garrards are maginally heftier, but clunkier to use. The Lencos sound at least as good in my opinion. The L75 has similar potential. (although, I have to say my current Toshiba SR-370 DD TT is as good as any of them and heavier )

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They do. I've owned the 88 & 99 & 301 & 401. The Garrards are maginally heftier, but clunkier to use. The Lencos sound at least as good in my opinion. The L75 has similar potential. (although, I have to say my current Toshiba SR-370 DD TT is as good as any of them and heavier )
    Well if I had to go down the route of listing which "type" of deck I prefer then I'd probably go :-

1. DD
    2. Idler
    3. Belt

Altough the more I look at Idler's the more I realise that the egineering is simple but extremely effective (in most cases)!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast