+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If it's. JICO SAS stylus in an M55 cartridge then maximum tracking weight is 1.5g. Mine is quoted at 0.75 - 1.5g
    This is the cheap £40 version and not the expensive variant.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    This is the cheap £40 version and not the expensive variant.
    Ah then that will not be an SAS stylus but the Jico N55 replacement. Tracking weight I think is up to 2g for that stylus. I have this one too and track about 1.8g.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kai.

A word on the idler wheels, I have the 54 euro one from lencoheaven bought something over a year ago. I think overtime the guy making them has had to use different rubbers, so they might not all be the same. I also have an original aluminum 5-hole idler, but it is bent. I got the new one with the intention to have a go at fixing the old one, I figure since it's made of pretty soft material there's a chance I might be able to whack it true with some careful hammer work. Haven't got around to it though.

I don't feel the new idler was an upgrade on the original, other than not being bent... but the rubber on my original one is still really supple and not hardened at all, so with the 50 year old idlers I figure there probably won't be two which have aged exactly alike... Neither idler was/is prone to rumble, but what little comes through (when turning up the volume way beyond sane listening levels) the rumble charachteristics seem different, as I recall with the original wheel what comes through was very low frequency while with the new one there seemed to be less very low freq rumble but relative more higher up in frequency, my guess is because of different rubber compounds. But again, this is cranking up the volume to levels that would make my Kef 104aBs explode if there actually was a signal coming through. In practice both do a good job on that front.

The new wheel seems well made and does the job just fine, but if you have an original wheel in good shape, I don't really think it's an upgrade, just slightly different. But good option to have around and all in all, 54 euros seemed a pretty fair price to me for a well made idler wheel, especially taking into consideration it's not exactly mass produced.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    A word on the idler wheels, I have the 54 euro one from lencoheaven bought something over a year ago. I think overtime the guy making them has had to use different rubbers, so they might not all be the same. I also have an original aluminum 5-hole idler, but it is bent. I got the new one with the intention to have a go at fixing the old one, I figure since it's made of pretty soft material there's a chance I might be able to whack it true with some careful hammer work. Haven't got around to it though.

I don't feel the new idler was an upgrade on the original, other than not being bent... but the rubber on my original one is still really supple and not hardened at all, so with the 50 year old idlers I figure there probably won't be two which have aged exactly alike... Neither idler was/is prone to rumble, but what little comes through (when turning up the volume way beyond sane listening levels) the rumble charachteristics seem different, as I recall with the original wheel what comes through was very low frequency while with the new one there seemed to be less very low freq rumble but relative more higher up in frequency, my guess is because of different rubber compounds. But again, this is cranking up the volume to levels that would make my Kef 104aBs explode if there actually was a signal coming through. In practice both do a good job on that front.

The new wheel seems well made and does the job just fine, but if you have an original wheel in good shape, I don't really think it's an upgrade, just slightly different. But good option to have around and all in all, 54 euros seemed a pretty fair price to me for a well made idler wheel, especially taking into consideration it's not exactly mass produced.
    Kai, that's an excellent post and thanks for your honesty. I'm still sitting on the fence with regards buying any new idler wheel's, the 54 Euro's could be better spent elsewhere.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

More!

I think the cartridge is now parallel to the vinyl.

DSCN2662.jpg

Tonearm is now parallel and the antibias is set correctly. The tonearm collar is mounted properly and the cart now tracks like a Shure should, extremely well at 2g. The bass is deep and well defined less taught than my 1210 reference system but there again I'm comparing a £63 cartridge against a £4.70 Ortofon cadenza black/ SME V combination . Tomorrow I'll have a look at the spindle to idler wheel position, it should be 115mm (I think) and also platter speed stability, altough this variable will be pretty useless when the speed controller arrives. Now, the next few days are just going to be spent learning the sonic characteristics of the deck and then Frankenbearing starts to make an appearence.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

I was using my M55e / JICO cartridge at 1.5g . I'll try mine at 2g tomorrow and see how it changes the SQ . Bit busy today building bedroom furniture

Be interesting to see what you think of the various '' upgrades '' to the bearing Andy .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    More!

I think the cartridge is now parallel to the vinyl.

DSCN2662.jpg

Tonearm is now parallel and the antibias is set correctly. The tonearm collar is mounted properly and the cart now tracks like a Shure should, extremely well at 2g. The bass is deep and well defined less taught than my 1210 reference system but there again I'm comparing a £63 cartridge against a £4.70 Ortofon cadenza black/ SME V combination . Tomorrow I'll have a look at the spindle to idler wheel position, it should be 115mm (I think) and also platter speed stability, altough this variable will be pretty useless when the speed controller arrives. Now, the next few days are just going to be spent learning the sonic characteristics of the deck and then Frankenbearing starts to make an appearence.
    Glad it's going well Andy and you are getting some good results from the Shure cartridge. I may well be doing a bit if work on my Lenco at the weekend if I get a chance.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Brian.

How's the soldering going James ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Geoff.

Any scorches on the table, holes in trousers, solder embedded in carpet, burned fingers?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

I have ear marked Saturday morning to have a go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast