+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Deleted.

The arm tube is titanium, the rest of it is stainless steel.

100% Analogue
    Account Deleted

I'm paul.

My two penneth on the 401 v lenco subject. Assuming an arm change on the lenco to make a more level playing field as the 401 can have pretty much any arm. From experience to equal the 401 the lenco requires a lot of money thrown at it. The ptp plate is a big improvement, the speed change on the lenco is a bit Heath Robinson so Nigel's speed controller is very useful if you want to play 45 and/or 78, I don't believe it makes any difference to sound quality. The 401's speed change is reassuringly solid. I have owned both a 401 and lenco ptp, both used with an audiomods arm they sounded very much the same but the lenco with speed controller cost more. The lenco is more fun for the diyer.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    My two penneth on the 401 v lenco subject. Assuming an arm change on the lenco to make a more level playing field as the 401 can have pretty much any arm. From experience to equal the 401 the lenco requires a lot of money thrown at it. The ptp plate is a big improvement, the speed change on the lenco is a bit Heath Robinson so Nigel's speed controller is very useful if you want to play 45 and/or 78, I don't believe it makes any difference to sound quality. The 401's speed change is reassuringly solid. I have owned both a 401 and lenco ptp, both used with an audiomods arm they sounded very much the same but the lenco with speed controller cost more. The lenco is more fun for the diyer.
    I agree with you on the speed change on the Lenco, it's quite Nobel to say the least and overly complex, too many parts which can transmit vibration into the chassis and platter. I'm not really looking to try and make a 401 "killer" I have a 301 which will trounce most 401's. I intend to do the PTP route at some point, probably next years project. I'm surprised you think that the speed controller adds nothing to the Lenco, I usually find note pitch improves and soundstage becomes more cohesive. The audiomods arm is a very good arm and I nearly bought one two weeks ago!!!! The Alphason is a straight drop in whilst the audiomods spindle to tonearm yoke apex distance is not correct by several mm's and can only be accompany with major top plate amputation or specific cut out into a plinth or separate tonearm pod. I think you have hit upon the essence of this lenco journey, it's DIY fun.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Jez.

I've wondered about the possibility of making a GL75 belt drive..... To the outer platter.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I've wondered about the possibility of making a GL75 belt drive...
    Sacrilege! Well, at least it is not really in the Lenco spirit... But you can take the motor out of the plinth and use the idler wheel in the "rim drive" mode. That is what I do and I like it, though it is no oil painting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristobal View Post
    Sacrilege! Well, at least it is not really in the Lenco spirit... But you can take the motor out of the plinth and use the idler wheel in the "rim drive" mode. That is what I do and I like it, though it is no oil painting.
    Interesting bit of DIY!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Well the journey continues. The Speed controller is being made and now I have my dream tonearm for the Lenco. I've been after one of these for a LONG.... time and finally one comes up at a reasonable price. Ladies, the one and only Alphason HR100S. This example is a little rough and will be immediately sent upto AO for a full fettle and maybe a silver rewire . I see that a counterweight is missing and also the tonearm cable. I have a Nordost TYR tonearm cable floating around so I will hopefully push this back into action.

Attachment 17849

Attachment 17850

Attachment 17848

It's probably going to be mid-late september when this project is finally finished but we are getting to the finish line.
    ah i was watching that one,it still fetched big money despite the missing bits,let me know if you need any info on the bias weight size or the mounting collar
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andrew.

You now have a PM!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

The alphason arrived today. Less grubby than in the pictures. I've spent this evening polishing the tonearm, greasing the tonearm raise mechanism and replacing some material that had worn off where the tonearm sits. The counterweight was filthy so this has been cleaned and I've covered up a few scratches in the tonearm. This is an early example No 1293 I think. I'm missiing a mounting collar so I shall have to fabricate one. I also need a anti-bias weight. This will be going upto J7 for a re-wire, service and replacement anti-bias weight. Jez no has all the bits for the Speed controller apart from knobs and case. Things are slowly getting there! I don't think I have much more to do apart from wait for all the bits to arrive and then enjoy the deck.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

So near yet so far....

A small update tonight on the Lenco project. I finally managed to get a bit of time together to bodge a quick arm mount for the Alphason. I mounted my old Shure M55E and got a side of vinyl playing, so the project finally produces it's first notes. Now I'll have to dismantle. The tonearm cable and Alphason are going to J7 @ Audio-origami next week and then it's a waiting for Speedy Steve to get back in contact. I need a new mounting collar and I might get some more counter weights made for the Alphason whilst I'm at it. The project will be finished when these several pieces of work have been completed and then it's just a matter of listen, enjoy and then plan some more upgrades! The speed controller is still being made.

DSCN2645.jpg

It's probably going to be a whole new plinth in 2017 and then maybe the PTP!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast