+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1162

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Brian.

Look forward to this Andy , especially the work you're planning to do to the motor
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Reference Lenco Pt LXIX - Power experiments

I've not spent too much time on the '75 lately as I'm the process of upgrading the Garrard 301, building a reference level EAR 834 MM phonostage and restoring the Goldring G99 so things have been a bit hectic. The Garrard is now dismantled and this left an interesting oppotunity to play around with my Nigels Speed Controller linked upto my P10 mains regenerator. The Nigels Speed Controller cleans up and regenerates the mains signal so it's pretty good in that respect but it's not too cracking at keeping a steady voltage if you plug it directly into the national grid (in other words your wall socket)! The P10 however keeps the voltage rock solid to with fractions of 1V. So by feeding the speed controller into the P10 you get a steady voltage which means the '75's motor has a constant voltage and in theory (I suppose) constant torque and a consistant level generated vibration. Unlike if your at the mercy of the national grid where voltages into the 75's motor would vary and so would levels of generated vibration. The '75 has always sounded good but not it sounds better still. I admit it's not massively different but sufficient for me to notice subtle improvements in texture and solidity of soundstage. Timing is now very good and this is apparent on complex pieces of prog. So for me now it's a no brainer and I'll be running the '75 from the P10 regenerator from now on. The new top plate is also taking shape and has now been approximatley 75% finished. I'll probably pick up the development of the '75 over the next few months but until then stay tuned.....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Reference Lenco Pt LXX - The Thorens TD150 mat experiment

Yes that's correct. I found an old Thorens TD150 mat in the garage. It's in very very good condition and I'm listening to it right now. It's not as thick as the Technics 1700 mat but it makes for a different sonic presentation and I'm evaluating it to see if there is any merit in keeping it as part of my reference set up. The presentation seems a little laid back to my ears and saxophone appears a little muddy and muted. Still there is plenty more to assess. I now might be able to spend some more time in getting the new top plate ready now that I've finished off one or two projects. As ever stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

What else have you got in that garage Andy ? Sounds like Aladdins cave in there

I've been using a cork mat . I bought an original GL75 mat off Ebay but haven't had a chance to have a play . By the look of things the original mat is the one to use .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Not very much to be honest! I'm actually in the process of getting a little space organised to I can start restoring and repairing bits for mates. I still have the original Lenco mat but I like to experiment. I also use a cork mat, but a use three differing materials together. I suppose I really should bond them together, perhaps that would yield even better results!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I'm actually in the process of getting a little space organised to I can start restoring and repairing bits for mates
    Exactly what I'm doing. But unfortunately, I have no mates!

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Reference Lenco Pt LXXI - Bits N Bobs

I still haven't had chance to review the Thorens TD160 mat against the Technics. I'm hoping to do this tomorrow. I've looking into the wooden body of the Shure M55E cartridge. Currently I'm using snakewood but the German manufacturer offers many many different types including pear wood, cocobolo, ebony and a myriad of others. I would presume that the dampening factor obviously differs between the various woods but I don't think my ears would be able to tell any difference. It's not like when you replace a flimsy vibrating plastic body for a nice solid snakewood jobbie, the difference was very evident from the first few sides of vinyl. So, this is an avenue where I think I'll pass on. I've started to source plywood for construction of the new plinth for the 75. It's going to simply house the 75 and I'm having a seperate arm pod altogther from the 75 which means that I have total tonearm decoupling away from any spurious vibrations. I will be decoupling the motor and this shall be housed in the body of the plinth but very carefully hidden. The plinth and the motor mount will be designed to have a very high dampening factor, much higher than birch ply on it's own. These upgrades will start until probably next year but at least I can start to design and prototype over the winter months.... Stay tuned!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Tonights Update - The Reference Lenco Pt LXX - The Thorens TD150 mat experiment

Yes that's correct. I found an old Thorens TD150 mat in the garage. It's in very very good condition and I'm listening to it right now. It's not as thick as the Technics 1700 mat but it makes for a different sonic presentation and I'm evaluating it to see if there is any merit in keeping it as part of my reference set up. The presentation seems a little laid back to my ears and saxophone appears a little muddy and muted. Still there is plenty more to assess. I now might be able to spend some more time in getting the new top plate ready now that I've finished off one or two projects. As ever stay tuned.
    On mine I have two old LPs stacked on the platter, on top of which the mat goes. I've been using one I made from rubber/cork composition. The material seems very similar to plain cork but is a bit denser. Back when I was doing mat testing, it was the one I found best. For the past month or two I've used a felt mat, which is a first for me. It's certainly different to the rubber & corks mats I've used in the past. I haven't tried them side by side yet. But going by sonic memory and getting used to the sound of the felt mat now, I'd say it mates with the Lenco pretty well. On the plus side I think imaging is a bit more 3-dimensional and there seems to be just a tad more air & space into the presentation. Bass performance seems slightly worse though, like it lost some weight and isn't perhaps quite as solid as with the rubber or cork mats I've used before. I haven't done a direct comparison, but I will do that once I feel like fiddling with things again, which hasn't been the case lately. How this came about was I needed the rubber-cork mat for my other Lenco when doing testing with it and this felt mat ended up in my main Lenco as a place-holder. I ended up leaving it there out of laziness, spun a disc and didn't oppose to what I was hearing, so it stayed for extended listening.

I'm Brian.

Must say I wasn't keen on the felt mat I tried . I'm currently using the cork/rubber mat and I've been very happy with it .

I recently fitted a new , beefier , bearing and the Audiosilente idler wheel . The GL75 is now very quiet indeed , so maybe round two of mat comparisons coming up .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    On mine I have two old LPs stacked on the platter, on top of which the mat goes. I've been using one I made from rubber/cork composition. The material seems very similar to plain cork but is a bit denser. Back when I was doing mat testing, it was the one I found best. For the past month or two I've used a felt mat, which is a first for me. It's certainly different to the rubber & corks mats I've used in the past. I haven't tried them side by side yet. But going by sonic memory and getting used to the sound of the felt mat now, I'd say it mates with the Lenco pretty well. On the plus side I think imaging is a bit more 3-dimensional and there seems to be just a tad more air & space into the presentation. Bass performance seems slightly worse though, like it lost some weight and isn't perhaps quite as solid as with the rubber or cork mats I've used before. I haven't done a direct comparison, but I will do that once I feel like fiddling with things again, which hasn't been the case lately. How this came about was I needed the rubber-cork mat for my other Lenco when doing testing with it and this felt mat ended up in my main Lenco as a place-holder. I ended up leaving it there out of laziness, spun a disc and didn't oppose to what I was hearing, so it stayed for extended listening.
    I've never been a fan of the felt mat and I remember reading some stupid discussions over on the Linn forum when I used to own a LP12. I can remember many discussions about the correct "way" the mat should be used. It's FELT FFS! These guys were extremely anal about excess wear and tear on the mats and how the correct side of the mat should be used. I eventually flogged the LP12 and said goodbye to all the 8u||$#!t once and for all!!!! I must admit to being in the same position as yourself, I'm feeling a little apathetic towards the '75 at the moment. I've got the EAR834 clone in and it's producing some very very nice noises. I've usage my 301 or 1210 in some time . It seems that cork and nitrile rubber work quite well, nice to hear different people finding the same conclusions!

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Must say I wasn't keen on the felt mat I tried . I'm currently using the cork/rubber mat and I've been very happy with it .

I recently fitted a new , beefier , bearing and the Audiosilente idler wheel . The GL75 is now very quiet indeed , so maybe round two of mat comparisons coming up .
    Nice to hear that your back on the '75 bandwagon. I missed you . New idler wheels do indeed make a massive difference and I've just read over on LH the Lenco themselves recommended the idler wheel should be replaced every 2-3 years, so no wonder you can hear a massive difference when a new one is fitted. I wish you well with the mat comparisons. I mainly now do these for a little fun and I'll also do a new comparison if I happen to find a new mat or happen to be given one. The new (old) Thorens mat seems to produce additional detail over the old technics platter mat I'm using but it really is neck and neck I'd say the Thorens mat is ever so slightly ahead but I need another session to make a final judgement.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread