+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Reference Lenco Pt XXXVIII - Still learning more about the deck!

The Lenco is now fully populated, wired up and platter turning (at 39.9 rpm ) and the motor is extremely noisy. This dosen't matter to me as I still have lots to do. So I thought I'd post a few pics.

DSCN2938.jpg

An underside shot of the old and new top plates. The right is the new modded version with marine resin and every hole filled. The left top plate looks like a swiss cheese.

DSCN2939.jpg

A fully populated top plate and this time you can see the extent of the filling under the platter.

DSCN2940.jpg

Further isolation and resonance control for the idler brake and idler arm.

DSCN2941.jpg

The speed selector and all the screws holding it are now gone.

See more mods in pt 2 of tonight update.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

The Reference Lenco Pt XXXVIII - Part deux.

A quick shot of the new speed selector.

DSCN2944.jpg

A shot of the new tonearm mounting kit I put together. Previously the tonearm mount was held onto the the top plate with x3 very small M5 nuts, seen on the right of the picture. The new kit comprises of x3 longer length M5 bolts which need modding and then x3 large washers and x3 nuts. The idea is to improve the contact between the tonearm mounting pod and the top plate whilst spreading any resonance through the bolts and washers on the underside of the plinth onto the marine resin. I've picked large washer to try and increase surface area.

DSCN2946.jpg

Final shot of the night. Here's the '75 in it's current guise.

DSCN2947.jpg

So what next? Well believe me or not I think I've come up with a way to completely get rid of all the speed selector linkages. I need to check the garage for spare parts. The deck needs fine tuning and the motor springs need properly setting up. Looking good so far. I have a fun feeling I'm going to get my arse bitten when it comes to fitting the tonearm cable.

As always... Stay tuned.................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Been hard at work then Andy

I've got to pop out to visit mother in law in hospital , however , I look forward to part 2 when I return .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Begone evil speed selector and all your linkages. New mod seems to work. More tomorrow.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonights update - The Reference Lenco Pt XXXIX - Sanity nearly restored.

Putting the Lenco back together again has been a great experience so far. Like all experiments it can be a little frustrating when things don't quite go to plan but I think that's what makes this hobby so fun in that you end up learning from your mistakes and then you get more confident on the next project. I decided that I wanted to make a new tonearm mount and indeed I have but I managed to fcuk things up a little in that the drill holes are not as accurate as what they could be and the mounting threads are too short . This isn't a problem as my Karma tonight has been kept in check in that knowledge that the platter spins at 33.3 rpm solid and that's with the stacked platter configuration . My second dosage of Karma tonight was realised when I managed to completely dump all the engineering for the speed selector. A total of 12 components (I think) which can no longer transmit resonance from the top plate and then into the idler wheel and then the platter (you get the idea).

DSCN2952.jpg

So the deck now looks like Mr. Skinny on it's underside.

DSCN2953.jpg

All this optimisation leaves me with a rather big problem in that I now have a few bloody big holes on the top plate which are now going to need filling (AGAIN ). I'm still cool with this extra work as it's no big deal really and will just add another day or two onto the completion time, big deal.

DSCN2950.jpg

So this is how the deck looks as of tonight.

DSCN2949.jpg

There are still quite a few jobs to do before I've finished. I've learned that motor fine tuning is best left until last. Funnily enough the motor is a little quieter than last night. This is probably from all the jiggling around from when I was trying to fine tune the platter speed. I'll probably do the tonearm mount work first and then get the final holes filled in the top plate, then another respray. I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel (again). OK, as ever, stay tuned....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Good grief , there isn't a lot left of the original GL75 is there Andy , and to be honest I rather like it . It's still my intention to grab an old knackered top plate and go down the route you have gone down . However , you seem to have taken things much further than expected and I will be watching this thread with interest . Looking very nice indeed . Well done mate
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Geoff.

I've got a GL68 top plate Brian. If you fancy doing a 90 degree job.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Thanks Geoff but I'm busy changing other parts of my system at the moment , costing a bit at the moment .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've got a GL68 top plate Brian. If you fancy doing a 90 degree job.
    Jean Nantis?

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Thanks Geoff but I'm busy changing other parts of my system at the moment , costing a bit at the moment .
    Thanks for the comments. I could go further and remove the linkages for the on/off switch. This would then mean using a bit of fishing line and 40g to control the idler wheel on the motor spindle, just like Jean Nantis. I haven't forgotten the sorbothane!!!!! I'm looking into some more isolation around the motor springs and possibly on the mounting threads, I'll give it some more thought when I'm less tired!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

This is getting a bit technical now matey

No hurry for the sorbothane Andy , I will have to have a good look at it before I decided on uses .
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast