+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 117 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1162

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Geoff.

Have fun Andy!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Enjoy your break Andy What am I going to read now

GL75 looking good mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Kai.

Well... tonight I've been playing with the 2nd Lenco I got today Totally unexpected turn of events, but saw one up for sale with a Jelco made tonearm for a price I figured would be a bargain if the arm is in good nick and couldn't refuse. The arm had a Sumiko headshell, so my best guess is it's one of the Sumiko models, but no idea which one it might be. When I went to check it out I noticed there was quite a bit of play in the bearings for vertical movement, but I took it home anyway and after a quick adjustment it seems the bearings might be fine after all. At least they are not totally knackered but haven't really finetuned them yet. My 1st Lenco I believe was an old club deck and it didn't have the original plinth nor the plinth. Firing this new one up for the first time I wondered who turned on the loudness... at first I thought it's the arm, but bypassing the springs cured that. Man those springs do horrible things to the sound and on top of that they are also piss-poor at isolation. The Lenco implementation seems even way worse than what Dual did and even the Duals perform way better without them. I guess if you're looking for a bloomy "vintage sound" leaving the springs in action might do the trick But for everyone else I recommend first thing is get rid of them and you're already more than half-way there, the rest I feel is just more and more of the good thing

I suppose I'll need to read through this thread again and see if there's a tweak or two there I might wanna borrow I've got some ideas for a plinth but we'll see. It's a cleaner specimen than my first one and since I already have the other one I hope I can be a bit more patient with this one as there shouldn't be any hurry to get it playing.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Well... tonight I've been playing with the 2nd Lenco I got today Totally unexpected turn of events, but saw one up for sale with a Jelco made tonearm for a price I figured would be a bargain if the arm is in good nick and couldn't refuse. The arm had a Sumiko headshell, so my best guess is it's one of the Sumiko models, but no idea which one it might be. When I went to check it out I noticed there was quite a bit of play in the bearings for vertical movement, but I took it home anyway and after a quick adjustment it seems the bearings might be fine after all. At least they are not totally knackered but haven't really finetuned them yet. My 1st Lenco I believe was an old club deck and it didn't have the original plinth nor the plinth. Firing this new one up for the first time I wondered who turned on the loudness... at first I thought it's the arm, but bypassing the springs cured that. Man those springs do horrible things to the sound and on top of that they are also piss-poor at isolation. The Lenco implementation seems even way worse than what Dual did and even the Duals perform way better without them. I guess if you're looking for a bloomy "vintage sound" leaving the springs in action might do the trick But for everyone else I recommend first thing is get rid of them and you're already more than half-way there, the rest I feel is just more and more of the good thing

I suppose I'll need to read through this thread again and see if there's a tweak or two there I might wanna borrow I've got some ideas for a plinth but we'll see. It's a cleaner specimen than my first one and since I already have the other one I hope I can be a bit more patient with this one as there shouldn't be any hurry to get it playing.

Good reply Kai. The springs do a great job but a realised that I had a compressed set and as such they did not function properly. A new (old) set from a second deck did the job. I too have started planning a new plinth, maybe it'll get done before 2017, I'm not in any rush.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonights update - The Reference Lenco pt LXIII - Quiet Reflection.

The deck is sounding truly good even in a very biased way I say so myself. I'm rather content after doing some businss in Jersey, I have a nice single malt in one hand and a little black sabbath in the background. The Lenco is now playing through the latest bit of kit to grace my floor. It's the EAR 834 clone phonostage and very very good it sounds too. I have some nice Mullard ECC82's to play with later. Spending time on Jersey has meant I've been able to give the deck more thought and ponder where we can go to further improve it's performance. Well after several nights of reflection I've managed to jot down 4-5 pages of notes on A5 paper. So, it looks like the thread will be alive until 2018 at least. The deck will probably undergo more iterations and I may even produce 2 decks to do side by side comparisons, so it looks like I'm having more fun with the deck. I have managed to purlion one small upgrade for the deck and that's the correct size and weight anti-skate weight for the Alphason tonearm, all for a paltry £7.50 and delivered from Germany, certainly beats the £20 I once got quoted from a well known company in this country. The little Shure M55E tracks like a good'un and is certainly producing the sonic goods. I'd have to say that things have once again improved a slight smidge. Bass sounds to have gained a little authority, micro detail seems to be slightly improved, low volume level listening sessions are now very well detailed, drum work appears to have a little more snap. It's certainly an exciting time in Lencoville as there appear to be two more bearings to try. I've asked for details and to be honest I'm really tempted. Bearings on the Lenco usually set you back less than £150 unlike the £750+ for something made for the Garrard , so with prices that cheap you can quite literally try a bearing and then flog on, sure you'll loose money but that's part of the hobby. The Jolly bearing I have sitting in the deck is bloody good so anything new purchased would have to be seriously well designed. Ahhhh, I could go on, so I guess it's time to say good night for another week.

As ever, stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Lucky beggar , I'm at work for yet another nightshift . I'm back on the Lenco trail again Andy . Received it yesterday and it's running quite nicely I had the idler wheel upgrade ready to be fitted ( duly done ) and I have a PEEK thrust pad and Tungston ball bearing waiting to be fitted when I have the time . So this thread has taken on a new meaning again .

Do you happen to have a link to these new bearings Andy ?

Enjoy your single malt mate
    Last edited by brian2957; 22-07-2017 at 22:43.
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

You guys keeping the Lenco GL75 projects alive, great stuff!

I have finished my original condition deck but sometimes ponder what a better tonearm might do? :

Which gave you the best results Andy?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Lucky beggar , I'm at work for yet another nightshift . I'm back on the Lenco trail again Andy . Received it yesterday and it's running quite nicely I had the idler wheel upgrade ready to be fitted ( duly done ) and I have a PEEK thrust pad and Tungston ball bearing waiting to be fitted when I have the time . So this thread has taken on a new meaning again .

Do you happen to have a link to these new bearings Andy ?

Enjoy your single malt mate
    Ha! Sorry old bean, I'm back to the grind tomorrow.

Now some links.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...72.0;topicseen
    http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...?topic=27436.0
    http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...?topic=25857.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You guys keeping the Lenco GL75 projects alive, great stuff!

I have finished my original condition deck but sometimes ponder what a better tonearm might do? :

Which gave you the best results Andy?
    I tried the original which was ok, I then had an old Technics arm which again was ok. I always fancied the Alphason arm and after a little while found one. It had a few bits missing which I've had to had specially made and then I had it fully serviced and rewired (which it didn't need). Now I have a deck which can compete with a SME V in a large number of areas. Sometimes the Alphason wins, sometimes it's a close second. I'd say the Alphason gives me 85% of a SME V but for £2250 less, I think I spent about £750 on the Alphason.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Thanks, I like the look of the Alphason but they are rare beasts.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Ha! Sorry old bean, I'm back to the grind tomorrow.

Now some links.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...72.0;topicseen
    http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...?topic=27436.0
    http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...?topic=25857.0

I tried the original which was ok, I then had an old Technics arm which again was ok. I always fancied the Alphason arm and after a little while found one. It had a few bits missing which I've had to had specially made and then I had it fully serviced and rewired (which it didn't need). Now I have a deck which can compete with a SME V in a large number of areas. Sometimes the Alphason wins, sometimes it's a close second. I'd say the Alphason gives me 85% of a SME V but for £2250 less, I think I spent about £750 on the Alphason.
    Nightshift tonight again mate

Thanks for the links Andy .
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread