+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 117 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Henry Jones View Post
    The linn has its following, part of there appeal is pace rhythm at timing......It doesn't appeal to me . Modded lencos may take some time and effort and money BUT they run rings around one of ivors main selling points.....pace . rhythm and timing and cost nowhere near as much. matched with the right arm and cartridge, modded well and you have a very serious contender to top end turntables and that's not such an exaggerated statement as some people might think .
    I had an LP12 years ago and felt a bit of a PRaT (sorry couldn't resits) at the time for falling for all the waffle written about them. Fine if you like them but I think they are massively over priced now.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm brian.

Andy how you finding the time to do all this btw. Presumably your working, doing the lenco, writing about it in great detail and I also hear whispers that your doing
    a 5 mile walk on nth/ york moors every night. Some people !!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Andy how you finding the time to do all this btw. Presumably your working, doing the lenco, writing about it in great detail and I also hear whispers that your doing
    a 5 mile walk on nth/ york moors every night. Some people !!
    I've a job where I look after a lot of people, I have approx 3-5000 people registered in my clinics. I do usually a 10 hour working day and then 1-2 spending time with my daughter until she goes to bed. I usually spend 1-2 hours working on the Lenco and then it's bed. I do actually walk into work and home again and yes the walk is approx 5 miles (well guessed). My OWN personal time is when I walk into work and work on the Lenco. I have time to destress and think about my next audio project which is usually some stupid bonkers jobby. I find this forum very friendly and I get great enjoyment from writing my waffle on here, hopefully some will find it useful. Some may laugh by that's alright by me. I hope this has answered you question Brian.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm brian.

Yes it has, and i m impressed, very very impressed. Well done mate. I m rather sorry, with your incredibly busy life that I even asked the question now,
    and you actually went to the trouble of answering it. With me I seem to make a drama out of anything like the fairly simple task of changing a pair of v blocks !
    Perhaps I could book into your clinic at sometime Andy. best wishes

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Yes it has, and i m impressed, very very impressed. Well done mate. I m rather sorry, with your incredibly busy life that I even asked the question now,
    and you actually went to the trouble of answering it. With me I seem to make a drama out of anything like the fairly simple task of changing a pair of v blocks !
    Perhaps I could book into your clinic at sometime Andy. best wishes
    im always happy to help. If ever you need any help just get in contact.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Ralph.

Some people are very driven and thrive on it. I think Andy is one of those people. I used to be the same until few years ago when osteoarthritis put me in hospital. So think on Andy and all you driven people. Take some time out now and again because you can't turn the clock back.
    Ralph.

I'm brian.

Thats very kind of you Andy.

I'm Andrew.

Tonights update - The Reference Lenco pt XXXXXIII - Further musings on decoupling the motor.

I've pondered long and hard with regards decoupling the '75 motor. I have searched the two biggest forums for Lenco nutters and can find very little if any evidence to suggest that this mod would be truly beneficial. The evidence at best is anecdotal. I've added numerous tweaks whilst designing and modding this Lenco to mitigate the effects of the motor vibration getting into the platter/vinyl/cartridge interface. I thought tonight's update could be used to argue why NOT to decouple the motor. My first gambit in decreasing vibration into the platter was to lower the voltage going to the motor with my Nigels Speed Controller, now this has been proven to be beneficial and as such I now run the motor at a lower than normal voltage and at a level where the driven and propulsion of the Lenco still remains intact. The motor itself has been subject to lots of work. Firstly it been completely stripped, relubed, bearings ultrasonically cleaned. The casing has been screwed together with a very high torque drill to make sure that its as closely packed together as possible. I purposefully removed the earthing post away from the motor to stop any vibration from the mains lead getting into the motor and passing further up the chain. The motor has been covered in dynamat and now sits on a set of springs that I'm happy with. I tried three sets of mounting springs before I was happy. All excess parts has been removed from the Lenco and any parts that are still living the hood have special vibration reducing gromits seperating them and the top plate, this is to stop motor vibration passing from the mechanical parts back into the top plate. The top plate itself is now filled with resin which adds mass and makes it very difficult for motor vibration to pass through the top plate. Adding resin to the top plate also increases surface area which means that any motor vibration that is in the top plate is now spread over a much larger area when coupled to the plinth. All holes within the top plate have been filled to stiffen the top plate and to eliminate vibration. The mounting of the top plate was modded so that I could achieve a very tight coupling of the top plate to the plinth, I used a special washer, sorbothane shiled and nut system on the four mounting bolts, this means I can equally tighthen the mounting the threads. The plinth is heavy birch ply, not the best material for dampening but not far of the top. The plinth is mounted on four spikes which is then mounted on a very thick bamboo base board which has it's own set of spikes, I've found this to be a very effective way of improving the '75's soundstage. The bearing also recieved some attention with respects to vibration control in that its bolted into place with a top plate mounting plate and then I've stiffened up the mount even further by cross bracing the base of the bearing to the plinth, this enable me to apply a downwards force on the bearing which further pulls the top plate down onto the plinth and further improves the coupling of the bearing to the top plate, Mr. Vibration is going to find it hard getting into my vinyl. The mounting system for the bearing also has additional rubber washers to further isolate and vibration. The platter has also recieved special attention in that it's a two stacked heavy platter system with additional x3 dampening rings. On top of the platters sit two specially chosen mats which combined (to my ears) give the best sonic presentation in my system and then there's the 1.25kg copper weight which pins the vinyl down onto the platters. The tonearm also recieved special attention and selection. I picked the Alphason due to the fact it was very rigid which made it very difficult to transmit vibration down the tonearm. The alphason has been serviced and the bearing is in perfect nick which is just as well as this also eliminates vibration. I've got the Alphason mounted on a EVA/Aluminium tonearm base which is designed to couple the arm to the top plate and elimate vibration from the top plate getting into the arm. The cartridge selection, the Denon 103M was also partially driven by the solid aluminium body which again is rigid and pretty immune to vibration, the cartridge has a Mpingo wood spacer which is very dense and you've guessed it, good at vibration supression. The tonearm is mounted with three special threads which have wide diameter washers and sorbothane spacers to prevent vibration from the top plate getting into the tonearm whilst allowing a very good coupling of the tonearm to the top plate. So to conclude I don't think I'll be decoupling the motor ! The ethos of this build has been more about coupling and feeling the love rather than splitting things up and feeling less groovy (sorry bad pun). I'm more than happy to re-assess this topic if decoupling of the motor can be conclusively proven to be beneficial. Now, some good news for followers of the thread. I think the deck can be developed a little further so I shall be producing a few more updates with respects to EMI/RFI shielding and diamond stylus profiles. I would strongly urge you all to by a cheap magnet for the next update!

As ever, thanks for reading, hope this has been beneficial and stay tuned......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    Some people are very driven and thrive on it. I think Andy is one of those people. I used to be the same until few years ago when osteoarthritis put me in hospital. So think on Andy and all you driven people. Take some time out now and again because you can't turn the clock back.
    Driven bonkers most days Ralph. I must admit to being very jealous of your Lathe skills! I've started to already looks at freeing some time up during the week to spend with friends and family. Wise words mate.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Tonights update - The Reference Lenco pt XXXXXIII - Further musings on decoupling the motor.

I've pondered long and hard with regards decoupling the '75 motor. I have searched the two biggest forums for Lenco nutters and can find very little if any evidence to suggest that this mod would be truly beneficial. The evidence at best is anecdotal. I've added numerous tweaks whilst designing and modding this Lenco to mitigate the effects of the motor vibration getting into the platter/vinyl/cartridge interface. I thought tonight's update could be used to argue why NOT to decouple the motor. My first gambit in decreasing vibration into the platter was to lower the voltage going to the motor with my Nigels Speed Controller, now this has been proven to be beneficial and as such I now run the motor at a lower than normal voltage and at a level where the driven and propulsion of the Lenco still remains intact. The motor itself has been subject to lots of work. Firstly it been completely stripped, relubed, bearings ultrasonically cleaned. The casing has been screwed together with a very high torque drill to make sure that its as closely packed together as possible. I purposefully removed the earthing post away from the motor to stop any vibration from the mains lead getting into the motor and passing further up the chain. The motor has been covered in dynamat and now sits on a set of springs that I'm happy with. I tried three sets of mounting springs before I was happy. All excess parts has been removed from the Lenco and any parts that are still living the hood have special vibration reducing gromits seperating them and the top plate, this is to stop motor vibration passing from the mechanical parts back into the top plate. The top plate itself is now filled with resin which adds mass and makes it very difficult for motor vibration to pass through the top plate. Adding resin to the top plate also increases surface area which means that any motor vibration that is in the top plate is now spread over a much larger area when coupled to the plinth. All holes within the top plate have been filled to stiffen the top plate and to eliminate vibration. The mounting of the top plate was modded so that I could achieve a very tight coupling of the top plate to the plinth, I used a special washer, sorbothane shiled and nut system on the four mounting bolts, this means I can equally tighthen the mounting the threads. The plinth is heavy birch ply, not the best material for dampening but not far of the top. The plinth is mounted on four spikes which is then mounted on a very thick bamboo base board which has it's own set of spikes, I've found this to be a very effective way of improving the '75's soundstage. The bearing also recieved some attention with respects to vibration control in that its bolted into place with a top plate mounting plate and then I've stiffened up the mount even further by cross bracing the base of the bearing to the plinth, this enable me to apply a downwards force on the bearing which further pulls the top plate down onto the plinth and further improves the coupling of the bearing to the top plate, Mr. Vibration is going to find it hard getting into my vinyl. The mounting system for the bearing also has additional rubber washers to further isolate and vibration. The platter has also recieved special attention in that it's a two stacked heavy platter system with additional x3 dampening rings. On top of the platters sit two specially chosen mats which combined (to my ears) give the best sonic presentation in my system and then there's the 1.25kg copper weight which pins the vinyl down onto the platters. The tonearm also recieved special attention and selection. I picked the Alphason due to the fact it was very rigid which made it very difficult to transmit vibration down the tonearm. The alphason has been serviced and the bearing is in perfect nick which is just as well as this also eliminates vibration. I've got the Alphason mounted on a EVA/Aluminium tonearm base which is designed to couple the arm to the top plate and elimate vibration from the top plate getting into the arm. The cartridge selection, the Denon 103M was also partially driven by the solid aluminium body which again is rigid and pretty immune to vibration, the cartridge has a Mpingo wood spacer which is very dense and you've guessed it, good at vibration supression. The tonearm is mounted with three special threads which have wide diameter washers and sorbothane spacers to prevent vibration from the top plate getting into the tonearm whilst allowing a very good coupling of the tonearm to the top plate. So to conclude I don't think I'll be decoupling the motor ! The ethos of this build has been more about coupling and feeling the love rather than splitting things up and feeling less groovy (sorry bad pun). I'm more than happy to re-assess this topic if decoupling of the motor can be conclusively proven to be beneficial. Now, some good news for followers of the thread. I think the deck can be developed a little further so I shall be producing a few more updates with respects to EMI/RFI shielding and diamond stylus profiles. I would strongly urge you all to by a cheap magnet for the next update!

As ever, thanks for reading, hope this has been beneficial and stay tuned......
    1 word......paragraph
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 117 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast