+ Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1162

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

The Reference Lenco Pt LXXXIX - WOODWORK!

The 75 has undergone yet more tweaking and this time some pretty heavy duty mods. Firstly I have managed to add additional mass to the plinth by filling in areas that appear to be empty voids. My 75 is now so far from standard that the original plinth I bought was originally designed for a vanilla 75 and so has quite a lot of recesses and voids to accommodate all the parts and gubbins. I've taken a very minimal approach with the 75 and so only the bare basics are needed to get the platter spinning and producing music. As can be seen with this next picture.

TOP PLATE.jpg

The idler wheel cueing mechanism has now been completely removed. I have now altered the mounting plate for the idler arm itself and now a simple nut, washer and bolt hold it into place. This removes excess parts and surfaces which could "chatter" against each other in operation. The idler arm has been exactly mounted the gain 33.3 rpm. The excess parts have been discarded and now reside in my spares draw. The idler arm itself will eventually be dampened with good old blutack, the idler spring has been lost and so a source of vibration from the motor to the top plate has gone. Blutack has pretty decent damping factor and so should work to dampen vibration passing from the motor and top plate into the idler wheel. I could also loose the idler arm park break but I'll keep that for the time being. I now have several more holes that will require filling on the top plate which should add a little more mass and stiffness to the top plate.

The plinth has been changed again. Voids have been filled with Marine resin and areas which were cut out for idler arm cueing mechanism and the original tonearm have now been filled with 18mm birch ply. The tonearm section still needs a little work but should be an easy fix once I have a little time. I also wanted to get maximal top plate contact onto the plinth and with these mods I think I've managed to achieve it. I may even try 1mm or 0.5mm cork (or other materials) between the top plate and the plinth to add additional damping. I have now idea of additional mass that's been added but it's probably a couple of extra Kilo's.

PLINTH.jpg

There is a massive void on the underside of the of the plinth which will eventually need filling but I need to make sure the tonearm is properly mounted (more pics when this is finished). There are quite a few other tweaks that I'd like to try but these shall have to wait as I need to assess the impact of the current list of mods. I really am nearing the end of the things that I can do with the deck in it's current state. I always fancied the "pan" modification where the 75's top plate in 100% in contact with the plinth and I've managed to achieve this. I just need to get the thing re-assembled and play some vinyl!

As ever Lenco addicts.... stay tuned.....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonights update - The Reference Lenco Pt LXXXX - Scraping the bottom of the barrel.

We've have nearly 85000 hits to this thread, lets get 100,000! Anyway I felt a but pissed off with the Lenco due to the fact that I'd done a LOT of work on the deck and then the bloody thing starts to scrape on the top plate , well after a little research I found that the bearing's thrust plate to be the most likely suspect and low and behold I have a VERY worn thrust plate so that's been flipped and now everything appears to be ok, . Both platters spin endlessly and with no scraping to be heard.

The underside of the top plate now that's fully modded. This should be the final iteration, but, I do have one final idea that I might want to try .
    1.jpg

The 75 torn down and being tested, thankfully this through up some major bugs!
    2.jpg

The full extent of the top plate and plinth mods. The plinth still has some more mass to be added in and around the tonearm. I need some M4 thread before I can go any further, again hopefully final version for this bit of the plinth.

3.jpg

Not bad for a deck that's still being tweaked. The idler arm still needs some work but that's part of the fun of this project.

4.jpg

The deck is pretty much stripped down as far as it can go. I've maxed out the top plate surface area making contact with the plinth. I've added mass to the plinth itself. Component surfaces have been minimised. The bearing has been optimised. I just need to bolt this crazy contraption together and start listening. BUT, I still have a few bit's to do and I would sooner finish all the tweaks and then access the fruits of my labour. So close, yet so far!!!!!!

As ever stay tuned...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (96.5 KB, 28 views)
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Part LXXXX (sic)? You do, of course, mean Part XC!
    Barry

I'm James.

Sounds like you have a long way to go yet!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

The Lenco Reference Pt XCI - Colin Chapman special

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Part LXXXX (sic)? You do, of course, mean Part XC!
    Yep, but I do this roman numeral lark off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sounds like you have a long way to go yet!
    Not as far as you might expect. I'll probably retire this thread at Part C (Happy Barry? )

Anyway the 75 has had a little more work, this is the full complement of stuff that I've managed to removed.

19 bits.jpg

This is how the 75 will finally look. The on/off switch has a steel cap. I may still file this down and have a really nice clean look.

poor 75.jpg

I've had to make some new tonearm mounting threads. The tonearm is now bolted to an additional 18mm of birchply so the old jobbies had to go. Eventually the excess space will be filled with marine resin to improve plinth stiffness and mass.

prong.jpg

The top plate is going to need a strip and respray but apart from that we are very nearly at the end of this journey. I'm thinking that I might do a PTP inspired motor decoupling from the top plate and this would achieve something that I've always wanted to apply to this project. It will certainly be interesting to see if this can be achieved. Next update might be some time away and then Pt XCI & XCII will be updates on the sonic benefits (or not) or the current barrage of mods and then I have some experiments with more platter mats to discuss. I'm also thinking I might want to chuck some Ebony at this project....

As ever.... stay tuned.....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Lenco Reference Pt XCII - More mods than a Brighton convention....

I seem to be firing on all cylinders with respects to modding the 75. I've removed even more parts and seem to be on a mission to make the 75 as spartan as possible. I have a plan to removed the idler arm park, I intend to keep the idler arm held in place with either blutack which works extremely well at adding damping protection or going down the route of the Jan Nantais mod, either way I'm still following my design ideas of less chattering components and surfaces.

Highly modded 75 idler arm with Custom carbon idler and Wer modfications. Blutack mod holding whole thing together, and no arm park components.

no idlerarmpark.jpg

The bearing also got a little more attention. I have ordered the WER mods for the Jolly bearing, these come highly regarded and even Jolly who produces the bearings has suggested that they should add a nice lift to the performance of the bearing. I'm still waiting for these components but it's only a two minute job to get them installed. I shall lubricate the bearing with my special Martin Bastin oil I use on my modified Garrard 401 bearing. I have also added additional damping to the bearing brace in the form of a piece of Panzerholz I bought from a forum contact. I intend to then bond the bearing brace to the plinth with super strong contact tape, thus improving the coupling between the brace and the plinth, the brace will also be screwed into place to maintain the added stiffness that it adds to the plinth.

Modified bearing brace.

bearingbrace.jpg

The tonearm also had additional mods added over the weekend. The old tonearm mount looked something like this

tonearmmouont.jpg

This was an extremely poor design as the original aluminium tonearm mount and birchply spacer were poorly coupled and the integrity of the spacer was compromised by three drill holes to accept the tonearm's mounting threads. I have now removed the mounting threads altogether and a possible sources of RFI/EMI into the tonearm, the mounting threads have now been eliminated. We now loose all the mounting threads, nuts, washers. Once again removing many interacting part. The tonearm spacer and original mount have now been coupled together with strong bonding tape and thus markedly improving the coupling. The new spacer has no drill holes which can only improved its integrity. Spacers can now be easily made, replaced and evaluated. The next two photos show the spartan nature of the 75 and the newly designed tonearm mount. I've added a slightly better picture just showing the tonearm and spacer.

spartam deck.jpgtonearm2018.jpg

The new tonearm mount design will also be bonded to the top plate with super strong bonding tape. This can only improve the bonding interface between the tonearm spacer and the top plate. I sometimes wonder if it's better to trade the stiffness that mounting threads offer against improved bonding that bonding tape provides, who knows?

I've also been working hard on the plinth. I'm in the process of adding more mass to the plinth by filling more voids around the tonearm with marine resin. So far I've added an extra 0.5kg and I still have a little more to add. I have no idea of the plinths mass. I will post some more pictures in the next update. I also looking into ditching the on/off switch, the copper wire and several screws needed to mount this in place. I think I just need to add a supression cap in the motor and that should be it. I will probably salvage the original supression cap from the Lenco. This means I can then simply turn the Lenco on/off from the Nigels Speed controller. This will result in even more components being dumped. The deck now closely follows the principles of the PTP design in that I have minimised components and improved coupling. I will at some point look into decoupling the motor. I'm already looking at solutions but I think I now need to reassemble the deck and enjoy the fruits of my labour.

PS. The deck will also get a new paint job at some point...!!!!!!

As ever stay tuned.......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Lenco Reference Pt XCIII - Awaiting Mr. Postman....

The Lenco is now reaching end stage. It's broken down into all its (remaining) components. I've stripped things back even further and now I honestly think we are now at bare minimum. The top plate is getting a new paint job, hopefully it's last as I'm done with modding the top plate (for now)! I've polished the bearing. I'm now awaiting two packages, one from Germany with the bearing upgrades and one from London. The London package should include a wonderful new platter mat and some brand new motor springs. I remember requesting some new motor springs being made and being met with a wall of scepticism now, funnily enough a new batch have been made and sold out , seems no-one believed me that 40+ year old motor springs could deform. We shall how they perform in a few days. I can't wait to lash the whole thing together and see how it sounds. I'm also experimenting with some woods for the tonearm mount. I've started with ebony. I won't be straying too far as there are already quite a few known safe options i.e. bamboo, ebony, cherry wood. So, ebony is a starter and we'll see what happens from then on. Not much more to report so stay tuned.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Hi Andy , got a link to the motor springs and platter mat ?

I use an SPH bearing so I don't think your bearing upgrade applies .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Hi Andy , got a link to the motor springs and platter mat ?

I use an SPH bearing so I don't think your bearing upgrade applies .
    Brian, no link as such, if you contact Sien over on Lencoheaven, his nickname is SPH you should be able to order direct from him. Both upgrades mat and springs cost £<100 and sent by recorded delivery.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Ah..Thought I remembered Sien doing motor springs Andy , didn't know he did mats . The other day I received 2 new idler springs from him . I'll drop him a PM . Thanks for the info
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread