+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    there is none in my new speaks.... at mo anyways. Which are still sounding good. Need to get over there and see the Lenco .. must get off my derriere
    You know you're welcome any time Grant . Just let me know and I'll see if I'm off that day .

Your speakers were sounding very good indeed when I was over
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm not sure it's possible to 'overdamp' a turntable. After all, there are no benevolent resonances at this end of the system. If the cartridge, arm and arm mount interfaces are as rigid as possible, then surely the least resonance and vibration in other parts, the better?
    The particular technical aspects of the Lenco however have a lot of moving parts which maybe benefit from a bit of compliance? Rigidly coupling everything may introduce unwanted vibration or resonance which may not be noticed in a slightly compliant chassis(plinth /top plate) ? Anyway it's interesting and fun to experiment.

One thing I would add however is that unless you could listen to a completely unmodified Lenco against the modified Lenco benefits in addressing some of the 'weaknesses ' of the original design may not be as great as imagined?

I know for fact that there are a few folk who have changed tone arms and plinths etc on a number of Lenco's and the improvements in SQ have been marginal although they may have spent large sums of money and time in doing so.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm not sure it's possible to 'overdamp' a turntable. After all, there are no benevolent resonances at this end of the system. If the cartridge, arm and arm mount interfaces are as rigid as possible, then surely the least resonance and vibration in other parts, the better?
    I agree with up about rigidity with regards vibrations and resonance getting into the tonearm and cart but this becomes pointless if the tonearm if mounted on an external pod and not part of the top plate. Additionally isn't it more with specific values of Hz that are important with regards resonance getting into the tonearm my understanding is that you should eliminate specific Hz values or "retune" specific Hz values low enough so they have no audioable (SIC? sorry im tired) effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Agree with you there Andy about over damping - mine sounds very sweet without damping although all the rubber grommets under the top plate are still intact. I would really like to hear what the difference is between the standard plinth and a heavy modified plinth as I am not entirely convinced it makes a huge difference?
    Well I learned my lesson with my 1210, never again! I think the standard / heavy plinth experiment could be a good idea for a bake off one day! PTP audio (the guys that make the PTP plate) actually suggest using corian as a plinth material.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

More on the deck.

Fettling and tweeking has well and truly started. I was going to make one of these to make sure that my idler wheel was aligned. This is a template that a LH member devised and then I thought why bother? The deck is spinning silently and the platter turns at 33.3 RPM.

zRocukhh.jpg

I also considered earth the top plate to the motor a suggested over on LH. Again I'll pass on this. The deck has no hum whatsoever I dont really want to introduce a mechanism of transferring motor vibration from the earthing lead into the top plate, so that's another mod consigned to the bin.

Some slight tweekig with the speed selector revealed I was probably going round at 34 RPM . We now be spinning at 33.3RPM.

DSCN2664.jpg

I also played some vinyl tonight with the cart at 1.6 and 1.7g and can confirm I got some mis-tracking issues and the surface noise was greater increased so now I'm convinced that 2g (at least on this lenco) is best for tracking and surface noise with the Shure M55e and new JICO stylus. Right that's it. I think I'll be doing some bearing research soon.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I agree with up about rigidity with regards vibrations and resonance getting into the tonearm and cart but this becomes pointless if the tonearm if mounted on an external pod and not part of the top plate. Additionally isn't it more with specific values of Hz that are important with regards resonance getting into the tonearm my understanding is that you should eliminate specific Hz values or "retune" specific Hz values low enough so they have no audioable (SIC? sorry im tired) effect.
    Lack of proper rigidity means vibration and movement are likely to reach the tonearm and that can superimpose cancellation and interference effects onto the signal modulations being 'read' from a record being tracked by the stylus.

Yeah. I feel knackered too today. Not done that much. Must be the weather.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

No update tonight I'm spinning a DECCA Maroon on the 301. Just a few comments on the deck so far.

The soundfloor on this deck is very low and surface noise on a decent piece of vinyl is non-existant. The bass on this deck is also fantastic. My main reference for how much bass a deck can kick out is the 1210 I own. No whilst the technologies are poles apart DD v IDLER it's not to say that the bass output sufferes from such a wide chasm, it dosen't, the '75 is pretty proficient is knocking out a decent bass line and I would say that fitted with a decent cart things could be improved even further. I noticed that percussion was particular good as well. Listening to Van Halen was a pleasent experience and only something I usually experience on the 1210. The more I sit down and listen to this little deck the more I like about it. Tomorrow the Alphason gets a small upgrade!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Yes I'm enjoying mine Andrew . Unfortunately I don't have another turntable to compare it with and TBH I don't really feel the need
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

No update tonight I'm spinning a DECCA Maroon on the 301. Just a few comments on the deck so far.

The soundfloor on this deck is very low and surface noise on a decent piece of vinyl is non-existant. The bass on this deck is also fantastic. My main reference for how much bass a deck can kick out is the 1210 I own. No whilst the technologies are poles apart DD v IDLER it's not to say that the bass output sufferes from such a wide chasm, it dosen't, the '75 is pretty proficient is knocking out a decent bass line and I would say that fitted with a decent cart things could be improved even further. I noticed that percussion was particular good as well. Listening to Van Halen was a pleasent experience and only something I usually experience on the 1210. The more I sit down and listen to this little deck the more I like about it. Tomorrow the Alphason gets a small upgrade!
    So does the Decca get the thumbs up?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So does the Decca get the thumbs up?
    YEP!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

YEP!
    Glad you had none of the horrors of setting up the Decca as others seem to have had. I thought it was fairly straight forward.

What arm are you using?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast