Page 106 of 117 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1162

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I see you two chaps are still tinkering
    Come on join the club.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Aye , jump in James . You know you want to
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

I need more time mate - maybe a nice long term project for my retirement!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

The Reference Lenco Pt LXXIV - Micro-mini-miniscule update PT 2

I have not forgotten the '75 but my time has been limited with lots of other projects. I did address the idea of encasing the bearing with silicone dampening rings. LH member Jolly wrote an interesting post.

"The motor spins at 1440rpm under no load so a bit slower when driving the platter. So you could get noise from the bearings at a frequency of 1440/50 which would be 24 Hz no load and lower under load if the bearings were misaligned and were tight at one point during a single revolution of the armature. Idler eccentricity would generate LF noise and cause the platter to ring a little more."

This is the post that got me wondering if it was possible to reduce bearing noise going into the platter by encasing it with silicone rings. I also wondered if a very thin layer of sorbothane (0.5 / 1mm) would be useful under the bearing collar I use. Now, here's the ace up my sleeve , I intend to measure some of these experiments by using one of these

and a copy of Audacity. I understand that the measurements might be skewed but i'm hoping that it might give me an insight into how we can improve vibration around the bearing and also how these little experiments improve rumble going through the bearing. All the information learned will go into making v3 of my Reference Lenco turntable. I should have my silicone rings within a few days so let the fun begin!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

The Reference Lenco Pt LXXV - Rumble Grumble!

So my new toy arrives tomorrow which should enable me to assess bearing rumble (presuming I can get it to work)! This is going to be pretty cool as I intend to look at the effects of many tweaks including the effects of using and not using a record weight. I'll also look at the effects of encasing the bearing in silicone. I have bags of very thick sorbothane so I'll be placing this in a few discrete places and seeing what happens. The effects of platter mats and platter dampening rings could also be assessed as well. I also want to see if changing the material of the bearing brace from steel to birchply and sorbothane has any effects. All interesting stuff which I'll document over the next few weeks. I suppose I could even look at the effects of differing greases and oils in the bearing itself. STAY TUNED!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Reference Lenco Pt LXXVI - Shure thing g'vnor!

The Lenco has actually received a little attention in between all the other things that have been happening in my listening room. I did some experimentation with Sorbothane footers on the understand of my isolation plinths and I HATED the results, they completely left the Lenco sounding flat as a fart so they got removed and my insanity was restored. My second experiment of the week involved changed my beloved M55E for a Shure V15 mk 3 with the much revered VN35MR stylus to see if we could get any more performance out of the cartridge/tonearm combination. I have to say that the M55E is now bolted back in place. OMG what a mis-match, I've now found out that the Alphason arm is too heavy for the V15 which makes some sense as the M55E does have a heavier wood body strapped in place when compared to the M55E, so now I'm wondering if the Mpingo wood spacer i have laying around will make any difference . The V15 just sound mute and lacking in detail. A quick look at the output specs reveals the M55E to have a higher output than the V15. I additionally wanted to try the M55E JICO neoSAS/R stylus in the V15 but it didn't fit. The prospect of having to spend £40 on a new wooden body for the V15 and a new neoSAS /R stylus at over £200 just put the final nail in the V15's coffin. So the M55E reigns supreme again! Now I'm Shure which cartridge I'm keeping !!! I still think that more can be had out of this combo and I think this will be proven when I get the upgraded EAR 834 phonostage working sometime in January.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Kai.

Since you mentioned isolation platforms and feet, here are the feet of my Lencos...

lencofeet1.jpg

Lenco feet #1 - hockey puck resting in a bed of rubber bands. Ugly as hell but these actually work really well in my setup. The whole 15-20kg turntable is suspended on 3 feet like this, it's not overly springy but if you tap it there's some slight spring action. With these rubberband feet I find the sound is a bit more detailed and "airy", without losing any of the oomph and drive. Also backgrounds seem just a tad quieter. It's not at all like listening to a suspended subchassis belt-drive, but I think it can be said these feet nudge the overall sound just a bit towards that direction.

At some point I want to make better and nicer looking feet with a variation of this concept. These cheap and thin rubber bands stretched so thin become brittle and dead in a few months, until eventually just falling apart, which means I have to redo the feet several times a year.

lencofeet2.jpg

Lenco feet #2 - hockey puck with a "door stopper" made of some kind of silicone. The feet are a bit squishy but not overly so. Overall these are OK for cheap DIY lossy feet but I like the rubber band solution better. Comparing, with these the sound seems more thick in the upper bass and lower midrange and the soundstaging seems a bit more compressed with less width and depth. Viewing the whole deck, they look pretty nice though. This Lenco is a rather slim and sleek looking one.

I'm Andrew.

Kai,

Thanks for the update with regards your system. I'm in the process of evaluating a new record weight on the 75 and I also have some new feet to play with. I intend to do an update in then next few days detailing my findings. It still amazes me how small changes can have large repercussions. Some of your findings seem to mirror my own in that small tweaks can sometimes suck the life out of the music whilst others seems to just that little bit more out of the deck. Ah well, experimentation beckons....!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Reference Lenco Pt LXXVII - Coppering up.

The '75 reference has taken a back seat over the last few months due to time, illness and other projects. I decided to have a word with myself with respects my hifi spending habits so I've been slowly selling off bits of kit which simply don't get used or don't fit my sonic tastes. So far I've got rid of some IC's, some filters and some platter mats. Reviewing your old bits of kit is great for the soul because it free's up cash and space and occasionally brings about a sonic improvement. Well, my experiments over the last few days have revolved around using a 0.75kg solid copper record weight which I use with great effect on my Garrard 301. Reviewing such kit is pretty simple and the effects on the decks performance are quite easily noted as I've spent more than a few hours listening to it and it's quirks over the last year or so. My first impressions of the record weight were not that great as I couldn't quite put my finger on the sonic changes to the soundstage and then I had a great idea. I decided to review various short 2-3 minute songs so any changes could be quite easily noted between experimentation. It immediately became apparent that some of the fine detail was being lost and the soundstage didn't feel quite as crisp or incisive. I experimented over 3 days and had to come to the conclusion that the record weight was simply not for the deck. I wanted to try and improve the coupling of the record to the trio of mats I use on the double stacked platters but it just didn't seem to work out. So, the quest continues....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Reference Lenco Pt LXXVIII - New born clarity?

It's still too cold to be messing around with the new Reference version of the Lenco so I'll be plodding along with my current deck over the next few weeks until things start to warm up a little. I've been slowly finishing off some of my projects and one of them has been a new EAR834p clone. Mr. Firebottle has finished this for me and shall hopefully be evaluated over the next few weeks. I'm hoping that this new version will improve over the already impressive stock 834p clone that I have sitting under my Lenco that I'm listening to as we speak! I'm hoping to see a new improved sonic performance from the 75 and hopefully I'll be able to document this as and when time allows. I also have a little experiment with some dampening rings that I purchased from China, but again that's for another update.

As ever, stay tuned....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread