+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

I'm Andrew.

The new JICO stylus is on its way, it's residing in Osaka as we speak. Now which will delivered first, the chopping boards (in Leeds) from ikea that are going to form Feburary's experimentation or the stylus is Japan several thousand miles away .
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Mmm.. Ikea is usually pretty efficient in dealing with this kind of thing so my money's on the chopping boards . I've been working quite a bit lately but when I get the time a visit to my local humongous furniture store is on the cards

You've been quiet the last wee while Andy . Too busy listening to the music maybe
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Mmm.. Ikea is usually pretty efficient in dealing with this kind of thing so my money's on the chopping boards . I've been working quite a bit lately but when I get the time a visit to my local humongous furniture store is on the cards

You've been quiet the last wee while Andy . Too busy listening to the music maybe
    I'm not a betting man but I think you could be correct! I'm actually listening to vinyl rather than building and tweaking the bloody '75 . It's all about fine tuning now and seeing how far I can push the deck with tweeks and well thought out upgrades. I might look into the Frenk DC motor in March but for Jan and Feb I have my hands full. I'll be posting some stuff just as soon as I get the new stuff.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread as usual mate . Meanwhile , enjoy the music
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

Brian it Looks like you may well be hearing the Jico SAS before Andy .
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Yes , my money's on that too James . I'll give you some feedback on what to expect Andy
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Brian it Looks like you may well be hearing the Jico SAS before Andy .
    Mumble grumble...... ......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Tonight I decided I wanted to tie up a few loose end with the deck and more importantly get the tonearm properly set up in preperation for the new JICO neoSAS stylus for the M55E. I'd been running the '75 with a semi decoupled tonearm for the last six months to great effect but this flew against generally accepted wisdom with Lenco's. Usually tonearms is rigidily coupled to either the top plate or plinth if you can't fully decouple them. No for me I have to rigidily couple to the top plate (my least favourite option) but beggars can't be choosers. My plinth is too small to directly couple to the tonearm so it has to be the top plate. There is more method to my madness with this coupling because I've used EVA which should mitigate some vibration getting into the tonearm. My Alphason is made for Titanium so is pretty stiff but I wonder if my M55E would benefit from another layer of vibration protection with my Mpingo would spacer? In an ideal world you wouldn't have so many interfacing surfaces as this is bad for vibration supression/control but again beggards can't be choosers and I'll look into this when I get the new plinth. I'm pleased to annouce that I've finally got the 2mm vinyl clearence that I wanted from the base of cartridge to vinyl's playing surface. The tonearm is now rigidily coupled to the top plate and is correctly set up with regards tonearm geometry, tracking force, etc etc so I can now relax when listening to vinyl in the knowledge I've done all I can with the tonearm. I also took this oppotunity to make sure that everything was as tight as possible when rebuilding the '75, nuts and wing nuts got the full mole-grip treatment.
    On my Lenco I have the arm mounted directly onto the top plate - can't say I've experienced anything not to like about the arrangement, and the deck is really responsive to arm changes. On my Denon DP-3000 I have the arm mounted on the plinth (directly coupled in both instances) and there's a tendency for all arms to sound the same - ok, based on only two different arms, but still. Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know. I never was that impressed with the Denon DA-305 arm in the Lenco, but with the DP-3000 I thought it sounded very good. So I figured if the Denon sounds that great with the DA-305, the Fidelity-Research FR-54 should be awesome - to my disappointment it wasn't really much of an improvement on the DA-305. To contrast this, in the Lenco the FR-54 was miles better. It's worth noting DA-305 was the arm that was offered as a bundled together package with the motor unit & plinth, so it shouldn't be a surprise it all works well together (though my plinth is made of different material than the original Denon effort).

Decoupling the arm never really made sense to me intuitively, but I did try to isolate the Syntec S-220 I had on my Connoisseur BD-2 from the top plate, using thick rubber o-rings both sides and in that case it was an improvement on direct coupling. But the Syntec is an arm that sounds somewhat 'underdamped' like there's some resonance issues, so maybe it helped with that. I have some grandiose plans for that arm to upgrade the ball bearings for horizontal arm movement and change the arm tube into a 12" inch, I was thinking aluminum outer tube with a tightly fitting carbon fibre inner tube for damping. I need to first figure out the bearings, currently I can't adjust it for no play without introducing some stiction, not sure if that's just 60s manufacturing tolerances or wear, but either case doesn't make sense to invest time and money into fiddling with the arm tube & wiring until the bearings are top notch.

What does it all mean? Honestly I have no idea, other than obviously plinth material and basically everything down to the feet have an effect and for a hobbyist probably the only way to find out what works best is to experiment.

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's update - The Reference Lenco Pt XXIX - Some reflections of design

I had always planned at some point to try the Alphason HR100S arm and I decided that the Lenco was the perfect oppotunity. I was very lucky and dropped on a tonearm which worked well with the Lenco. The tonearm is coupled to the top plate with a 7mm EVA spacer and then I have a aluminium tonearm mount. This was done party by accideny, cost, and on purpose! The EVA is cheap and should eliminate or alter the Hz of vibrations from the top plate getting into the tonearm mount. The mount itself is pretty stiff and should make things pretty difficult for nasty vibrations getting into the tonearm and may again offer another level of change for the Hz of the vibration. The tonearm is made of Titanium which should dissipate things further and then the cartridge body is made from a heavy wood. I have used many different materials to try and alter the characteristics of any vibrations from the motor and top plate before they get into the cartrigde and vinyl. The idea is to change the Hz of the vibration from the motor into something that is not audioable through the cartridge and speakers. This has been augumented with stacked platters, platter dampening rings and x2 platter mats, alongside very careful attention in removing any components which could transfer rouge vibration into the cartridge or the vinyl. TBH a very well serviced motor and properly aligned mounting springs in the motor should stop the vast majority of nasties getting into the platter/vinyl/cartrige. I have tried to minimise and supress vibration via a mixture of differing materials, stringent component optimisation, and varied methods of vibration dissipation. The next logical step for me is the experimentation with Bamboo chopping boards and maybe the Mpingo wooden spacer to see if things can be improved any further. AND THEN THE THUNDERBOLT STRUCK......

Part of this build has been about not spending money so what if things I've done are about as good as they are going to get with regards vibration supression? If this is true then why would I need a new plinth and seperate decoupled tonearm pods? Your looking at probably £500 for a self made plinth and to hire someone with skills using a laithe to make a custom tonearm pod. What happens if I just get the same results as I'm hearing now? What a waste of cash. The only way I can justify spending the money is to listen to a deck which employs the decoupled tonearm principle. It would have to be a seriously massive upgrade on the old sonic ladder for me to splash the cash. Now this is a bit unfortunate for those of you following this thread as it means my further adventures into plinths and decoupled tonearm pods has just been curtailed a smidgeon . But it now means that I can use the resin filled top plate . My roadmap for the Lenco's development has become a little clearer. It looks like it's going to be January - Tonearm experimentation. Feburary - Chopping board experimentation. March - Resin filled top plate. April - Maybe an optimised plinth with a little more mass and to better accomodate the new resin filled plinth.

The journey continues..... as ever............................
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Chopping boards to be delivered on the 19th, should be worth a giggle doing a bit of experimenting.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast