+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sony SS-7200 stand advice

I'm Simon.

Default Sony SS-7200 stand advice

Hi all. I bought some Sony SS-7200 speakers via this site. Bloody great speakers which I've currently got on a pair of Huygens stands that my JPW AP2s usually sit on. They are designed for Snells, great stands but a little too high, so I bought some Heybrook stands from eBay.

These new stands have spikes on the top. They hold the top platform on, but could easily be replaced by screws - but what do you think?

I use black tack with my JPWs - would this be the best approach, or should I use the spikes? If so, should I just put the speakers on them or should I use some kind of cup?

Any advice gratefully received.

simon

I'm Martin.

So many alternatives that will all have small and different effects on the sound.

I like stands with a flat top personally, either a plate or just the bar running round if open-frame type. Then blu-tak the speaker on. Top spikes for me give a more airy-fairy type sound, lose a bit of the wallop. Plus there is the problem of cabinet damage, or knocking them off by accident.

I have similar design of speaker to your Sony so I would say the optimal placement is low stands (about 8 inches), ideally open frame, and no more than a foot/foot and a half from a rear wall should get the best balance of clarity/bass weight.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

Thanks. I was inclined to get some screws and blu tak them on, I think that's what I'll do.

I'm Geoff.

Sent you a pm Simon
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread