+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: You might hate the music, but...

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I'd much rather see a Sting or a Bono using their status to try and improve the world rather than the complete wastes of oxygen most celebrities are, mentioning no names. (Oh all right, Robbie Williams & Jordan are my two most hated!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up

I'd much rather see a Sting or a Bono using their status to try and improve the world rather than the complete wastes of oxygen most celebrities are...
    Hear, hear, Alex - too bloody right!

The word 'celebrity' is so devalued these days, it's almost meaningless...

Bloody talent-less non-entities creaming off the dim-witted and brainless public's insatiable appetite for banal gossip and 'celebrity lifestyle' culture; I hate everything to do with it with a passion!!!

The idiots who buy the magazines, watch the programmes, and those who promote and support all this bullshit nonsense, occupy the real "knobhead stakes"!

{Rant over}, so as you were, chaps...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I think what irritates me most about Sting, Bono and that whole genre is the hypocracy. Here we have multi-multi-millionaires crying into their hands in the media about the starving, the poor, the uneducated children ("think of the children!") and "climate change" and yet they are very much part of the glitteratti, attending lavish conspicuous-consumption events, riding around in private jets and huge entourages of gas-guzzling Rnage Rovers (for security, of course). I don't see them giving up their vast wealth to help the subjects of their publicity seeking tirades, they don't live on a meagre amount like they are trying to get us developed-country inhabitants to do, to help "the poor".

While their publicity probably helps raise awareness I am always in doubt - no, make that cynical disbelief - of their true sincerity.

The music they produce is usually great, but the it's the whole package that makes me cringe.

I would like to think I am not simply envious, but hey, who knows

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If any of you ever get to own "Message In A Box," take a look at the booklet that comes within and read some of the band-member's comments on the making of some of the later tracks and the totally childish antics that went on - Sting refusing to sing on other band-member's compositions for example.

Marco, it's not that the man is successful, it's the "attitude" that goes with it and the "holier-than-thou" vibe that can surround these sorts of people - Bono "saving the world" while reportedly using every tax loophole he can to keep a few extra pennies for himself (as if he needs them...). On audio forums, I don't appreciate the sometimes condescending "online Mick Parry" persona either, although like you Marco, the reality of the man may well be something different to what we read online, as I'm informed he's a bit of a wind-up merchant on the side

When I worked in the West End a million years ago (it seems), we had clients from Belgravia who were charming, genuinely friendly people, who used expensive antiques as furniture and who NEVER EVER spoke down to you. They radiated something that often warmed you to them as people and not once did they ever demand discounts.....

When I then moved on to a home counties dealership not far from St Albans, the B&O crowd were the snootiest of snooties, wanting the engine driver and regarding all else as the "oily rags," even though we knew more than the engine driver at that point. Any antiques in their homes were almost behind glass and woe betide you if you didn't take your shoes off when entering their show-homes to set up or take (for service) their precious B&O set. There were a few exceptions though, but they were exceptions on the whole.

I know the kind of wealthy people I'd rather have dealt with - and it wasn't always the "electrician made good........."

Perhaps in milder areas of the country this is different, but around London and the M4 corridor, the second type I referred to did used to exist and perhaps still does...
    Last edited by DSJR; 18-11-2009 at 17:37.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Bloody talent-less non-entities creaming off the dim-witted and brainless public's insatiable appetite for banal gossip and 'celebrity lifestyle' culture; I hate everything to do with it with a passion!!!

The idiots who buy the magazines, watch the programmes, and those who promote and support all this bullshit nonsense, occupy the real "knobhead stakes"!

{Rant over}, so as you were, chaps...

Marco.
    I though this was called the X factor but it makes Simon Cowell a lot of money, but i still watch it with the family every week
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm joe.

Hear, hear, Alex - too bloody right!

Are you sure you're not just envious of their success?

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post

The music they produce is usually great, but the it's the whole package that makes me cringe.

I would like to think I am not simply envious, but hey, who knows
    I dislike their music almost as much as their attitude!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Are you sure you're not just envious of their success?
    Absolutely, because I'm a serious underachiever and a total failure. Jealousy permeates my whole being.

Guys, I'll come back to this intriguing discussion later after din-dins!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Absolutely, because I'm a serious underachiever and a total failure. Jealousy permeates my whole being.
    At least you're honest about it.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Was it Sting who did that album of 16th century lute music or similar? Supposed to be very good SQ too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456