+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You might hate the music, but...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default You might hate the music, but...

...this could possibly be the best recorded CD I've ever heard!

What is it, then? Sting's new album 'If On A Winter's Night'.

I love it in a folky, 'pensive' and relaxing kind of way (the tracks are all simple acoustic-based vocals and real instruments), but the recording quality is quite something else, with a clarity and resolution that on a good system is simply breathtaking.

The only criticism I'd make is that the recording level is occasionally slightly too high (especially on track 2 'Soul Cake'), and the sound over-modulates a little, but apart from that it's stunning.

I'd love to know what the process used was (I suspect that its simplicity is the reason for its sonic success) and whether there was anything of an analogue nature in the chain?

Anyway, for those looking for the perfect demo disc to show off their system's prowess with voices and acoustic instruments, then this is it!

And if you happen to like the music and relate to Sting's sentiments about winter (i.e. you love 'Winter Wonderland' snow-covered landscapes, the Christmas season, and watching coal fires glow in the dark) contained in both the song lyrics and enclosed booklet (count me in), I suppose that's a bonus!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm notAlone.

Recording Info:
    Clinton Recording Studios, New York;
    Manhattan Center Studios, New York;
    SevenSeas Studios, New York;
    Steerpike Studios, Il Palagio, Italy;
    The Source, Malibu

Well, these are no "amateur" studios...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Dave.

Marco,
    Is it really that good a recording ?

I really can't stand Sting but I'm a sucker for good recordings and I don't want to have to buy this....

I wouldn't know, Dimitri. What's 'special' about those studios, then?

You know the funny thing about this album was after I bought it in HMV I popped it into the car CD player and it did nothing for me whatsoever - I mean NOTHING! I thought it was shit.

I said to myself as I was driving home 'this is going back for exchange tomorrow as an 'unwanted gift''...

However, when I got home and played it on my main system, the superior resolution on offer, which thus allowed significantly more insight into the music and the subtleties in the recording, for me, transformed the merit of this CD. And that isn't the first time this has happened either with other CDs I've bought.

I still wouldn't rave about it, musically, (it does a job for a certain mood), but it shows the value of having a good hi-fi system and just how important it is to one's true enjoyment of music

...A veritable raison d'être, I feel, for owning a good system in the first place, if ever there was one!

If anyone else buys this CD I'd be curious to know their thoughts, mainly on the recording quality, as the music is nothing really to write home about, although for me it's fast turning into a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Marco,
    Is it really that good a recording ?

I really can't stand Sting but I'm a sucker for good recordings and I don't want to have to buy this....
    Yes it really is *that* good, Dave - perfect hi-fi demo material for your shop!

I'm not particularly a Sting fan myself (although I liked The Police), but it was the winter theme that hooked me. I'm a bit of a sucker for the Christmas season and all things wintery.

However, after a few plays (if you remotely like this sort of music) it's quite addictive. The folk backing group, if nothing else, are rather good.

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If I hear "Soul Cake" one more time I'll SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Ten Summoner's Tales weren't bad as a recording as I remember, but this one would have to be bloomin' amazing for me to fork out any more on this man (and this, from an owner of the Police "Message In A Box" CD set.....)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm InSpace.

Oh... a bit sad really!

Buying music to 'show off your system' even if you don't particularly like it? Tut Tut!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Spotify it first if you need to know if you could "live with" the music - the recording won't shine through as well on 180kbps (or even 320kbps, for Premium users) but you can at least check out the music...

http://open.spotify.com/album/3t3vhSEof0FS23aVfnhy4u
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Jerry.

Why do lots of people dislike Sting? I think he has done some brilliant albums and love Dream of the Blue Turtles. I like the way so many of his songs have a story or a meaning. I like the use of instruments like the clarinet.
    He is just popular so knock him-unfair in my book.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    Oh... a bit sad really!

Buying music to 'show off your system' even if you don't particularly like it? Tut Tut!
    I hope you're not including me in the above observation. I bought it primarily because of the Winter theme. I hated it when I played it in the car, but at home I and played it and liked it, recording quality aside - that was a bonus

You know that your system is good when it makes average music sound interesting!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast