+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from Cornwall

I'm Ross.

Default Hi from Cornwall

Just got the turntable out after 6 years in a box (not going to move house again!) and found it needs a new drive belt. I came across this site while looking for one so I thought I'd join.

Having bought my first hifi in the 70s, shared with my brother, as we had a friend who was into Genesis, Floyd and American rock (e.g. Styx) I have been through all sorts of things. Goldring, JVC, Trio, Rega, Michell, Quad II, Radford STA25, AR7x (seemed very good for the era/money), JPW, IAS Beaulieu (went well with the STA25 but had to sell them as they were deemed too big for the house - but not by me!), homebuilt amps, Audiolab.... I now have two systems almost completely assembled secondhand or ex-dem....

Main is Pink Triangle PT1 (bought in 1985), Zeta, Ortofon MC20 Supreme; homebuilt phono stage (Stan Curtis design) with upgraded PSU, Tisbury passive pre, cheap Pioneer CD/Blu-Ray/USB player, Linn 6100 Aktiv into Ninkas. The vinyl side hasn't been used for those 6 years so sound quality is unknown but the rest sounds good to me with FLAC files through the Pioneer.

Second (different room) is Linn Genki, Aktiv LK85s into Tukans. Obviously doesn't have the bass but still good to me and the other half. The Tukans were what set me on the Linn path by being the first speakers I owned which dealt well with male spoken voice. I didn't set out to have two systems, just never sold the old things as I upgraded.

Music is more vinyl than CD, mostly 70s onward rock/folk "ish" but some classical - definitely no opera! First LP purchase and still a favourite is Rick Wakeman's 'Myths and Legends of king Arthur...', recent favourites include Agnes Obel's 'Aventine'. Other favourites include Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue', Show of Hands 'Dark Fields', Steve Hackett's 'Bay of Kings', Mark Barnwell's 'Exotica', Bob Dylan's 'Desire', Dire Straits' 'Making Movies' and many more.

What next? Well, revive the vinyl with a new drive belt and maybe an upgrade depending how it sounds to me now. And more music, definitely! I hope to find some pointers on this site, maybe directly to artists or to radio (broadcast or online) shows to try out.

Hope that's ok for an introduction,
    Ross

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AOS Ross.
    Regards Neil

nigsy116 Guest

welcome on board!!
    If you like Ricks 'Myths and Legends....'; he playing it in full at the o2 this summer; not sure of the dates.

I'm Steve.

A big welcome.

+ Reply to Thread