+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raspberry Pi - LED's

I'm Josie.

Default Raspberry Pi - LED's

Hi all.

I'm wanting to re-case my RPI but I'd not be able to see the activity and power LED's. So, I'd like to know if there is a way to extend from the onboard LED's to to fit in the new case? I've had a look online but I can't find much. I'd need the power LED and the SD card activity LED. The red and green ones basically.

Is this an easy job to do? I'm guessing that it 'should' be.

Thanks
    Josie
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Alan.

Fiddly but nothing to stop you.

Have to remove the surface mount LEDs and fit extension wires, then re-use the S/M LEDs or just fit standard leaded type.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Josie.

Thanks, Alan.

Ah... right. I thought you could pin off from the GPIO maybe?

That is fiddly, but I suppose it might be worth it.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Mike.

Default Raspberry Pi - LED's

How about an optical lead? I mean, put a piece of acrylic, with polished ends nearby the LED's? Often used in various electrical applications.

danilo Guest

A piece of Toslink Cut to length and directed to where you need the light... Works well for putting 'telltales' light where you need it.
    That optical fibre link thing that used to come with most CD players but no one ever used?
    Failing not having one on hand, V cheap ones are available at the local Ebay Junque reseller shop.

I'm Josie.

Great idea, thanks very much. I'll keep you posted.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Andr'e.

Two flying leads is much easier. Just remember to connect the LED back up the right way around.

I'm Mark.

Another option if you don't want to try de-soldering surface mount LEDS or trying light pipes. (The de-soldering is easy, it's if it still works that is the problem )

The power LED should be easy, the GPIO 40 pin header has grounds , +3.3v and +5V power on various pins whenever the device is powered up, see the diagrams here:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...us-and-raspi2/

All you would need is an LED and suitable resistor value and connect to the +3.3v and a ground on the header pins so the LED is powered up whenever power is applied to the Pi

The SD card activity LED could connect to one of the outputs on the GPIO header but you would need to write some code to make that output active whenever there was SD card activity.
    The outputs are basically a switch that is controlled by programming.

I'm Josie.

Thanks guys. Flying leads are a possibility but hard wiring isn't an option I don't think. It would be better but Ii'd like to be able to switch out the Pi for upgrade reasons.

Thanks Mark, I actually ordered some light pipes the other day so that sounds more doable. I found them on mouser electronics.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread