+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii - compliance question

I'm Andr'e.

Yeh i know it's not complicated, on contrary.. But i do read some posts on forum where people like to confuse the matter beyond belief..

I can tell you now that i have used some combinations that were technically disasters to only find they sounded fantastic..

However if your using 16g mass that should give you a near perfect match with that cart..

I'm Paul.

Thanks Andr'e. I'm quite new to this so this thread has been useful in reassuring me that I am using the VE tools correctly. Incidentally the good thing about this AT33PTG/ii cartridge is that it should work well with the Grace G707 on my TD125 too and that will be it's ultimate destination once I finish restoring that deck. In the meantime it'll work fine on my Kenwood KD-990's arm using the ADC LMG-1 headshell.

I'm Andr'e.

The Grace it will indeed work fine. Heavier the head shell bolts should lower the resonant freq fractionally..

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    A friend has lent me the above cartridge and I want to mount it in a suitable headshell weight-wise. I want to use the vinyl engine cartridge resonance evaluator to help me choose which headshell to use. However AT publishes their dynamic compliance specifications relative to 100Hz. The specs for the AT33PTG/ii show 10 x 10-6cm/dyne (100Hz). The problem is that the VE cart resonance evaluator requires compliance figures measured at 10hz I believe.

Elsewhere on the web I read this:

"The cantilever is one of AT's fabulously thin boron things and it has a high compliance - 10 by the Japanese system (100Hz) which is around 20 by our system."

Could someone please advise me if this estimate of 20 would be a safe figure to choose for use with the vinyl engine cartridge resonance evaluator. If not 20 what figure should I use? Thanks in advance.
    I'm afraid it's not so simple as multiplying by the single factor , if you look at different carts with compliance stated @100Hz this "factor" varies between 1.4-2.2 , there is too many variables involved .
    You should buy HiFi News test record , you can check specific arm/headshell/ cartridge resonance , additional bonus are tracks to set anti-skating , tracking , etc..

I'm Neal.

Yes it is, people complicate these things way too much. I've used test records before on a number of cartridges and found the very rough guide of using 1.75 as a multiplier to work well in the real world. No need to spend extra on a test record.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Yes it is, people complicate these things way too much. I've used test records before on a number of cartridges and found the very rough guide of using 1.75 as a multiplier to work well in the real world. No need to spend extra on a test record.
    AT95 6.5cu @ 100Hz - 15cu @ 10Hz - approx. 2.3.
    AT440 10cu @ 100Hz - 18cu @ 10Hz - approx. 1.8.
    AT-140LC 15cu @100hz - 22.5 @10Hz - conv is approx. 1.5.
    Nagaoka MP-200 7.2cu @100hz - 14.5 @10Hz - approx. 2.0 .

Test record cost around £20 and anti-skate tracks are really helpful.
    We spend hundreds & thousands on carts , decks , etc ... and skimp few quid on proper setup tools , another great tool is USB microscope - it takes an hour to check SRA angle so we don't go crazy constantly changing VTA
    Last edited by mac72; 20-05-2016 at 05:28.

I'm Andr'e.

I'm Neal.

Yup, I plugged the figures in for the AT95 and a 14g arm the difference was 9hz vs 10hz and for the 140LC it was the same at 7hz which is a bit out of range anyhow for either figure......
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Yup, I plugged the figures in for the AT95 and a 14g arm the difference was 9hz vs 10hz and for the 140LC it was the same at 7hz which is a bit out of range anyhow for either figure......
    I'd say 9Hz ( 8.96Hz to be specific) for AT95 is spot on , if you look at compliance of Clearaudio Concept MM which is AT95 in the metal body - 15cu , which confirms factor 2.3 .
    Anyway , whole confusion about 1.75 comes from one of online compliance calculators stating that factor 1.5-2.0 should be applied , this is truth when it comes to majority of Japanese carts but some fall out of this range .
    Regards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12